Thai taxi driver slams cops for toll indulgence

webfact

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

But you don't find that part of this story a little strange,  and are so quick to pronounce the tourists  guilty

It is always odd through the language barrier and there are usually issues on both sides, however, I am not fighting with anyone over a 100 baht toll charge. Maybe he had an EZ-Tag?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, fallup88 said:

In this case, the driver explained to the tourist, most likely it was a language barrier. 

So why did she not ask for the extra money when she was at the toll booth,   like they always unfailingly do?   She was trying it on in my opinion

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

"He believed that the two foreign women did not intend to refuse payment, but they misunderstood due to the language barrier."  I call BS on this...

Two young white skin females. Maybe the two police were looking for a hook up, later. Ha! If you intend to pay, you don't run away.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

So why did she not ask for the extra money when she was at the toll booth,   like they always unfailingly do?   She was trying it on in my opinion

Your "opinion" is more than likely wrong, because many taxi's have the MFlow app which automatically deducts toll funds from their account

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Your "opinion" is more than likely wrong, because many taxi's have the MFlow app which automatically deducts toll funds from their account

So why did she not ask for the money at the toll like they always do ????   app or no app

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

Two young white skin females. Maybe the two police were looking for a hook up, later. Ha! If you intend to pay, you don't run away.

so you have never been on the receiving end of a shrieking Thai woman, ?  and you pay everything asked without question? Fair enough  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BestB said:

so by making this post you claiming taxi drivers never lie or cheat? and thai in general also never lie or say distort the truth to fit their agenda?

Ran way, according to honest driver? because if someone runs away police does not catch them so fast.

Walked away? yes, most certainly did not do a runner 

Few would run far in this heat,  especially western tourists

27 minutes ago, BestB said:

and what does your driving have to do with them booking a ride on an app and not understanding the ramblings of a taxi driver?

The driver explained she could go on a toll road or another route, but they would have to pay the tolls if they chose that route. Perfectly normal practice. The women chose the toll route, then refused to pay the toll. I don't get what the argument is. People who don't bother reading the full article should refrain from clogging up the thread with their ill informed remarks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

so you have never been on the receiving end of a shrieking Thai woman, ?  and you pay everything asked without question? Fair enough  

Go back and read the whole article before I start shrieking at you.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

officers arrived and tried to pay the toll fee but she would not accept it, saying it was wrong.

I agree. The driver didn't deserve the nominal payment from RTP but apparently continuing the conflict was more important to the driver than resolution. 

There is an undercurrent of thought by foreigners who believe everything in thailand needs to be inexpensive, and any additional money is always going to be rip-off (and then of course there are always just the garden variety a-hole tourist)... the former is really the result of Thailand's own rich history of scamming tourist (sorry to say), so some tourist think everything is going to be a scam. But in this case I suspect a-hole tourist... come on, just look at the app (and the terms of the app) and what you paid (tolls where not in the fee), and the fact you asked to take toll roads (which cost $$$), so just pay up. 

• Agree 1

The way Grab handles tolls depends on your location...

Automatic toll fee (available only in the Philippines): the toll is automatically calculated based on GPS and current toll rates, then added to the total fare you see in the app.

Cash payment (which is how they do it in THA): the toll is not included in the fare. Drive pays, and you pay the driver at the end of the trip (or you can hand them the money at the toll booth yourself -- assuming the driver does not have one of those fastrak transponders).

All these tourist had to do was look at the Grab app and it would have clearly indicated the toll fee was not included.

9 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

"He believed that the two foreign women did not intend to refuse payment, but they misunderstood due to the language barrier."  I call BS on this...

Are you calling the taxi driver's version BS or are you, without the tourists side of the story, say they actually ran away deliberately to avoid the toll fee. Please, let us know if you have more info  than the rest of us

If these two women have been given a price for Toll or no Toll, surely the word 'Toll' would indicate a higher cost to the journey. I don't think I am missing anything here?

• Like 1

The app says the price the driver shouldn’t ask which way they want to go just go the way the price says in the app then there’s no argument 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

More self entitled tourists. Running away is usually an admission of guilt. 30 days in the slammer might make an impression on these two spectaculaly weak and troublesome women. 

30 days !?!? are you mad ? A couple of hours would suffice, just to give them the feeling !!!

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Go back and read the whole article before I start shrieking at you.

Shriek away pal,  but learn to read between the lines, and question what you are told especially by certain online publications

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yes totally agree, and it's getting more used all the time....

53 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

You only have the drivers view, you are assuming she is telling the truth, as all Thai taxis drivers do.

yes, need all sides oof the story..  as for the cops paying..   pull the other one..

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

More self entitled tourists. Running away is usually an admission of guilt. 30 days in the slammer might make an impression on these two spectaculaly weak and troublesome women. 

Because Thais don’t lie? I do not think the tourists ran away unless they felt threatened.  When you use an app the price is the price, you do not have add ons. I've never had a taxi in bkk offer me route options and I've never had a long winded explanation about costs. The police should be praised not condemned. 

• Agree 1

another thai misunderstanding. time to phase the entire country out of that dying language and convert to english and watch the economy blossom. how can you expect to be a global hub of anything with a limiting language? it only serves to benefit their misplaced pride. if they really want to enter the global economy then it's time to follow the path that Singapore and Hong Kong chose and make english their language; it would completely revitalize their economy

Edited by cncltd1973
  • Love It 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thossapon encouraged Thai taxi drivers and app-based drivers to enhance their language skills to provide better service to foreign visitors.

Like the Thai Cops, they can't even speak English, yet they expect a Taxi driver to "enhance" their language skills, just how many Languages are taxi drivers supposed to learn.

• Thumbs Up 1