Bike mods that make a difference

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

I always swore by Pirelli Diablos in my sports bike days and so am tempted by their Angels. I really mustn't procrastinate for too long!

Diablos were fine on smooth asphalt roads but their limitations soon showed on chipping coated roads and rougher surfaces.  Angels seem to suit both my bike and my riding style on Thai roads.  I can't comment on how Angels would be on an ADV - that's more of a scooter type I believe? Small wheels?

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do something for everyone safety and make sure people can hear you.

harley-street-glide-745-554x400-740x480.

Yeah,  Big hard guys,  scaring old ladies and little children.

Tossers. :bah:

Edited by quake
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, quake said:

Yeah,  Big hard guys,  scaring old ladies and little children.

Tossers. :bah:

Obviously it can be annoying.

But personally I prefer that I hear a bike or case and can avoid it compared to little or no noise.

Sometime I am in the parking area of my building and then suddenly a car is next to me without any noise. One of those EVs.

It can be scary if people move a little without watching because they are used to noise from vehicles. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But personally I prefer that I hear a bike or case and can avoid it compared to little or no noise.

You'll certainly hear a Harley with a straight through exhaust but get too close and it might be the last thing you ever hear. The volume is just ridiculous.

There's a reason they've been banned from many National Parks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

You'll certainly hear a Harley with a straight through exhaust but get too close and it might be the last thing you ever hear. The volume is just ridiculous.

There's a reason they've been banned from many National Parks.

Obviously some bike are too loud.

But others make almost no noise.

I think the best is somewhere in between so that pedestrians and other riders hear a bike, but not everybody will wake up because of them. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously some bike are too loud.

But others make almost no noise.

I think the best is somewhere in between so that pedestrians and other riders hear a bike, but not everybody will wake up because of them. 

Its been proved wrong in several tests, that bikea with more sound prevent accidents.

If you surrounded by loud bikes, what then? Everything depends on drivers and riders being aware, colours being visual,  skills, position, and follow a known pattern, 

There is several studies and articles to puck from

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a35952569/loud-pipes-do-not-save-lives/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 8:22 AM, MangoKorat said:

I use Pirelli Angel GT2's but is changing the tyre brand really a mod? Damned expensive mind!

How much? 

EDIT- Just see your comment now you've got them on a big bike.

Edited by Startmeup

12 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

How much? 

EDIT- Just see your comment now you've got them on a big bike.

For a big bike they're around 6000 baht per pair and considering I only get between 4 to 6000km out of a rear (heavy right hand), I find that expensive. Scooters don't rive around like I do so they'd probably do a lot more km.  However sticky tyres = soft tyres and soft tyres don't last - you can't have it always.  I think there are probably cheaper alternatives around that are just as good on a small bike/scooter.

I've seen them a bit cheaper on Lazada but I don't trust anything to be genuine on that site - I brought my last set with me from the UK.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1

Specific to your bike Mods that can make a difference?

ADV 160:-

Put 15-gram weights in the CVT. This will improve your roll-on acceleration and hill climbing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Specific to your bike Mods that can make a difference?

ADV 160:-

Put 15-gram weights in the CVT. This will improve your roll-on acceleration and hill climbing.

Went up a steep hill yesterday with a pillion and was surprised how much it struggled. 

Have read about CVT mods. Where do you get them? Its a common mod for a mechanic to carry out?

Edited by Startmeup

21 hours ago, London Lowf said:

This was the first thing I bought for mine - black tinted and smaller than the standard monstrosity!

Ban for the buck, the best mod that I've made.

Wheel rim stickers are a quick and cheap tart-up if you have the skill and patience to fit them properly. A bit naff, but that's me all over!

I dont notice it being very big. You changed it purely for aesthetics? 

You can buy a complete set of the essential body panels on Shopee for less than B9,000 unpainted - I've just got mine and prepping/spraying them will now become my hobby as it's getting too hot to go to the beach every day.

Why would I need these?

I really mustn't procrastinate for too long!

What about the Michelin City Grip 2s?

Any motorcycle accessory shop will have them. Depends on your location. If it is a good place they will fit them while you wait.  You may void your warranty if Honda are clever enough to find out but repairs which I doubt you will ever need are cheap anyway. Keep the old ones and refit them if you need to make a claim.

I wouldn't go any lighter than 15 grams unless you get direct experience from riding another ADV. You are not trying to win a Saturday night drag race.  

On 3/4/2024 at 3:41 PM, Startmeup said:

This was something I thought about too you just reminded me. 

How do you find a load such as a box of beer sitting that high up on the bike affects the driving? 

Did you choose a particular brand? 

San Miguel light

• Haha 2

Hmmm I've pimped out a few bikes and scooters over the years. 

My first up mods on my next bike would be: (In this order) 

Replace piss weak horn with Stebel Nautilus air horn.  About 500B off Lazada

Replace headlight bulbs to LED if not already LED as well as brake light

Replace standard disc pads to sintered pads 

Put better rubber on the wheels. I like Metzeler but they ain't cheap.  Michelin City 2 are OK on scooters. 

Replace levers to colour coded alloy ones. 

Install LED strips that incorporate DRL and Indicators (Pure bling bling).

Aftermarket alloy footpads

There are quite a few other aftermarket mods that can be done on bigger bikes. 

I have found Lazada to be your friend.  Lots of bling and minimal cost.  But don't skimp on safety items ie brakes and tyres. 

Good luck! 

46 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

I dont notice it being very big. You changed it purely for aesthetics?

Yes, the screen on a 100kph scooter is hardly functional and now, when I look at the original screen on other ADVs, it really is ugly especially when it is flipped up.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:08 AM, Hummin said:

If you need more efficient bike, you buy a bigger bike 🤓

If you going to improve efficiency and not more noisy, it will cost more tan it taste. Thosd cheap <deleted> ones, stay away

Rear suspension is ok to change if you are more than 85kg and up + riding with pillion.

All bikes are designed for a standard use (according to their cat.)

1. By definition, humans are all different, riders have various styles and bike uses. Therefore, it makes sense to fine tune the suspension (NB: I didn't write "change", new elements are just an option).

2. Standard exhausts are heavy. By changing it for a quality one, you'll save on weight, improve the engine running and modify the look of the bike.

BTW, in my initial post I used the conditional tense.

Edited by Fab5BKK
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

1. By definition, humans are all different, riders have various styles and bike uses. Therefore, it makes sense to fine tune the suspension (NB: I didn't write "change", new elements are just an option).

2. Standard exhausts are heavy. By changing it for a quality one, you'll save on weight, improve the engine running and modify the look of the bike.

Is there possible to change the standard setting on suspension on smaller scoots? Do adv 160 have proper suspension? Honda stock suspension used to be bad on rhe older scoots, now I do not know, but I did change the rear on my pcx and it was night and day in comparison. 

Sorry but stock exhaust really do not change much performance on scoots, just making them annoying lauder, and you loose your guarantee by doing so. 

• Agree 1

On 3/6/2024 at 5:27 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously it can be annoying.

Sometime I am in the parking area of my building and then suddenly a car is next to me without any noise. One of those EVs.

It can be scary if people move a little without watching because they are used to noise from vehicles. 

The solution for that is simple and only a matter of time...   its been an ever present solution since we drank from a communal oasis... 

Look, listen etc....  we've become complacent,  we'll have to do more looking, thats all... 

A top box is a real benefit, cameras helpful in an accident, the others suggested i wouldn't bother with, certainly don't change tyres until they're worn. Believe it or not the Japanese design these bikes very well

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The solution for that is simple and only a matter of time...   its been an ever present solution since we drank from a communal oasis... 

Look, listen etc....  we've become complacent,  we'll have to do more looking, thats all... 

Looking is a good idea.

But you can hear a lot of things which you can't see. You can hear noise behind you. You can hear noise in the dark or behind obstacles.

The good thing is that we have several senses. We can use them all. 

13 hours ago, Hummin said:

Is there possible to change the standard setting on suspension on smaller scoots? Do adv 160 have proper suspension? Honda stock suspension used to be bad on rhe older scoots, now I do not know, but I did change the rear on my pcx and it was night and day in comparison. 

Sorry but stock exhaust really do not change much performance on scoots, just making them annoying lauder, and you loose your guarantee by doing so. 

"Standard exhausts are heavy. By changing it for a quality one, you'll save on weight, improve the engine running and modify the look of the bike. BTW, in my initial post I used the conditional tense."

I did write:

save on weight

improve the engine running

modify the look of the bike

Regarding loosing the warranty... You loose it so much (!) that bike manufacturers launch, quite often, "special editions" with third-party exhausts (ie: Akrapovic, Yoshimura,...) as a part of the package!

Have a nice day :smile:

14 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

Can confirm suspension setup can totally change the driving experience.

Got this done on my Daytona 675R and it made a massive difference. 

Not sure how much of a difference it would make on ADV, cant hurt but wouldn't know where to go for that.

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

Do adv 160 have proper suspension?

They have Showa suspension, it soaks up the bumpy Phuket roads

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking is a good idea.

But you can hear a lot of things which you can't see. You can hear noise behind you. You can hear noise in the dark or behind obstacles.

The good thing is that we have several senses. We can use them all. 

Completely agree... 

But with the quietening of vehicles, EV's etc.. its only a matter of time before the roads are filled with EV motorcycles - then there is one sense we are going to have to rely on above all else, without hearing (these silent machines) we'll have to get used to that and do a lot more looking around.

42 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

"Standard exhausts are heavy. By changing it for a quality one, you'll save on weight, improve the engine running and modify the look of the bike. BTW, in my initial post I used the conditional tense."

I did write:

save on weight

Regarding loosing the warranty... You loose it so much (!) that bike manufacturers launch, quite often, "special editions" with third-party exhausts (ie: Akrapovic, Yoshimura,...) as a part of the package!

They make it for adv 160? 

45 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

I did write:

save on weight

😀 Still talking about adv 160?

Do you remap your bike after changing to a third part exhoust? How much for a Akrapovic for adv 160?