Bike mods that make a difference

14 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Do you remap your bike after changing to a third part exhoust?

I think that, as long as you can plug the O2 sensor into the new exhuast, then the engine management software will take care of the minor adjustment to the fuelling.

22 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How much for a Akrapovic for adv 160? 

There are full "Akrapovic" systems (pipework and end can) on Lazada for under B1,700 - rather you than me!

Elsewhere on that site there is also a full "Akrapovic" system for B7,500 - this still seems too cheap for a genuine system, but who knows?

I hate the tinny sound of the standard system but do not want an excessively noisy straight-through, which is what I would imagine a lot of these cheap aftermarket systems are.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Throttle Lock - A game changer for those of us who ride long distances.

I bought a plastic widget for 40 Baht to take the strain.

spacer.png

But I don't ride long distances on flat straight roads

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

They make it for adv 160? 

😀 Still talking about adv 160?

Do you remap your bike after changing to a third part exhoust? How much for a Akrapovic for adv 160? 

With a small motor like a 160cc I dont think you would need to remap it. 

And aftermarket pipe/muffler will help the engine 'breath' easier as well as hopefully decrease the weight. 

On bigger motors and sports bikes it's generally recommended to get a remap, thereby getting the most out of the mod. 

There are kits you can get: Power Commander and EJK being just two I know of.  Easy to fit but mainly for bigger bikes. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

I think that, as long as you can plug the O2 sensor into the new exhuast, then the engine management software will take care of the minor adjustment to the fuelling.

O2 sensors mostly only do anything below 6000 rpm. So on small scooters almost nothing. 

33 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

And aftermarket pipe/muffler will help the engine 'breath' easier as well as hopefully decrease the weight. 

My Zoomer gets about 8.9hp at 8300rpm. I rarely ever get to 8300. 105 kph is about 7900 so an aftermarket exhaust won't do much unless it has been modded to rev higher. A bit lighter yes, but that's about all. 

98.8% of Akropovic exhausts in Thailand are knock-offs so what does that say about the owner?

Edit: Most aftermarket pipes have a standard-sized pipe usually 32 to 50mm. They come supplied with a shorter front pipe expanded to 32-50mm. This shorter front pipe on a single cylinder may cut into the engine's torque output at lower rpms. So louder but maybe not as quick.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

You have to be insane to ride a motorbike in Thailand, it is a death wish.

On every thread about motorcycling there is at least one wannabe genius who believes he's reached an intellectual epiphany and feels the urge to drop his heightened knowledge on to the massage with such golden droplets of grade A1 divination that 'motorcycling is dangerous' or is a 'death wish'...   

Now.. Death wish for who exactly ???..  because, if you take your grade A1 divination and apply it intelligently without the wide-sweeping broad strokes of generalised statements you'll see that the risk profile varies deepened on who is riding and when.

Here goes: 

- Most motorcycle deaths are those not wearing helmets.

- Many motorcycle accidents involve the rider and booze

- Many motorcycle accidents are at night

- Many motorcycle accidents involve speeding

- Many motorcycle accidents involve carless riding

- Many motorcycle accidents involve and obvious lack of defensive riding

Thus: although those who simply want impart a sound-bite without any genuine thought or consideration will likely disagree, the reality is that the aggregate stats and generalised risk profile is far less relevant for those of us who ride defensively, never while drunk, in the wet, or at night, who never speed, are always alert and always wear helmets etc... 

... That doesn't mean motorcycling is risk free, far from it - but it does mean the exaggerated 'death wish' comments are far from sensible, intelligent and well thought out input - they are just poorly considered thoughtless knee-jerk musings of someone without any real experience of riding here. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On every thread about motorcycling there is at least one wannabe genius who believes he's reached an intellectual epiphany and feels the urge to drop his heightened knowledge on to the massage with such golden droplets of grade A1 divination that 'motorcycling is dangerous' or is a 'death wish'...   

Now.. Death wish for who exactly ???..  because, if you take your grade A1 divination and apply it intelligently without the wide-sweeping broad strokes of generalised statements you'll see that the risk profile varies deepened on who is riding and when.

Here goes: 

- Most motorcycle deaths are those not wearing helmets.

- Many motorcycle accidents involve the rider and booze

- Many motorcycle accidents are at night

- Many motorcycle accidents involve speeding

- Many motorcycle accidents involve carless riding

- Many motorcycle accidents involve and obvious lack of defensive riding

Thus: although those who simply want impart a sound-bite without any genuine thought or consideration will likely disagree, the reality is that the aggregate stats and generalised risk profile is far less relevant for those of us who ride defensively, never while drunk, in the wet, or at night, who never speed, are always alert and always wear helmets etc... 

... That doesn't mean motorcycling is risk free, far from it - but it does mean the exaggerated 'death wish' comments are far from sensible, intelligent and well thought out input - they are just poorly considered thoughtless knee-jerk musings of someone without any real experience of riding here. 

There is two important things, luck and also active riding. The combination of being an ative rider when necessary, and also defensive when needed. 

Beingnavle to rake space, leave room for getting out of situations, be visible and predictable. 

Experience is everything here and learn to to expect the unexpected around every corner, and from behind at anytime. 

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

There are full "Akrapovic" systems (pipework and end can) on Lazada for under B1,700 - rather you than me!

Elsewhere on that site there is also a full "Akrapovic" system for B7,500 - this still seems too cheap for a genuine system, but who knows?

I hate the tinny sound of the standard system but do not want an excessively noisy straight-through, which is what I would imagine a lot of these cheap aftermarket systems are.

I got 4 different bikes from 250 to 1000cc, and each and one for its own purpose, and happy with original sound. I just cant stand going on a longer trip with other riders with loud pipes, but not really a problem if you keep them behind you. 

My mods is just proper luggage systems and lights + a decent phone holder. One of the off roads I changed the suspension, and exhoust was already on when I bought it, but I only use that for offroad and not touring. 

The pcx was our first bike and we often go two on pluss a back pack, and new rear suspension was very much needed.

It doesnt give that much extra effect either, except the sound. So, ? Unless you are an active rider, not even dirt bikes need any new pipes. Most would gain more effect by loosing a few kg 😉

Both for health and effect.

I thought about getting Ohlins for my Vespa GTS... then I realised, its just a bloody scooter...   Ohlins Suspension is going to make hardly any notable difference. 

Mods I have made: All chrome blackened out... FWD-RR facing cam...  darkened out light covers (with LED lighting)...  and thats it. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Completely agree... 

But with the quietening of vehicles, EV's etc.. its only a matter of time before the roads are filled with EV motorcycles - then there is one sense we are going to have to rely on above all else, without hearing (these silent machines) we'll have to get used to that and do a lot more looking around.

I guess there will soon be another App.

There is a car behind you!

That message will show up on the screen, and all the people who look at their screens and not around will be notified.

This should be a joke, but I am pretty sure it will happen. 

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I bought a plastic widget for 40 Baht to take the strain.

spacer.png

But I don't ride long distances on flat straight roads

Is that a good idea?

I never used anything like that, and I don't want it.

I imagine it will make it more difficult to get off the throttle and on the brake. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that a good idea?

I never used anything like that, and I don't want it.

I imagine it will make it more difficult to get off the throttle and on the brake. 

I appreciate your opinion but if you have never used one how do you know whether or not it interferes with anything? It is simply a slip-fit over the twist grip. 

Each to their own.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

I appreciate your opinion but if you have never used one how do you know whether or not it interferes with anything? It is simply a slip-fit over the twist grip. 

Each to their own.

I wrote: I imagine it will make it more difficult to get off the throttle and on the brake. 

I imagine - like: I don't know but I think it might be like that.

If you know how it works and if or if not if might make it difficult to get off the throttle and brake maybe explain it - if you like.

I know the following principle, and I think it is a good idea to use the following:

throttle.jpg.11cdb7a57033f77cab1e0ec9d0dea5e1.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

O2 sensors mostly only do anything below 6000 rpm. So on small scooters almost nothing. 

The transmission on my ADV keeps the RPM at a constant 5,500 from launch until it locks into it's top gearing, which is at about 60kph? Riding around Phuket, I generally stay below that speed.

(I always thought that a rev counter on a little scooter with CVT was complete overkill, but it's just proved its worth!)

42 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

The transmission on my ADV keeps the RPM at a constant 5,500 from launch until it locks into it's top gearing, which is at about 60kph? Riding around Phuket, I generally stay below that speed.

(I always thought that a rev counter on a little scooter with CVT was complete overkill, but it's just proved its worth!)

Brilliant info as max torque is developed at 6500rpm so the stock bike needs lighter weights to allow the engine to rev to max torque during acceleration or going uphill.

My Zoomer X also exhibited the same number ie 5500rpm. I have added your findings to my Zoomer spreadsheet.

Going up to the local Wat from a standstill I could only get to 45kph but since installing lighter weights and getting around 7000 rpm I can reach 60+ kph at the top of the slope and more than 45kph with a passenger.  

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I imagine - like: I don't know but I think it might be like that.

Please imagine away. I could not find any info. on Google to support your imaginings. 

Edited by VocalNeal

Has anyone experience of the Kitaco exhaust? What is the sound like?

I think that it is only available through a Honda dealer and, at B9,990, it should be decent quality although the one that I've seen parked up in Patong looks as if it's had a hard life.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:20 PM, Startmeup said:

Getting my Honda ADV 160 this week. What modifications have you guys done on your bike that has had a positive benefit compared to factory spec?

Im thinking I will get a phone holder for using maps while driving. Maybe a tinted front screen.
Ive seen some bikes at night with extra spot lights, sometimes yellow and I could see them being helpful for night driving.
Curious about the benefits of getting one of those almost looks like a half cages that I see on the lower front end of some bikes?

I wouldn't call it a positive mod, but for lots of Thai people they seem to like to take out their mirrors from the bike so they can't see anyone behind them.

Quite a lot of rebound from the back suspension when going over bumps. More when riding alone but also two up. Any other ADV160 owners noticed this out of the box? 

Will have to try get it adjusted 

On 3/10/2024 at 9:29 PM, VocalNeal said:

Please imagine away. I could not find any info. on Google to support your imaginings. 

I've used those throttle grips a bit when back in NZ.  They are good for longer distance riding but with NZs harsh UV they tend to break after a few weeks... maybe 3 top.  

Cheap enough to replace tho

• Thumbs Up 1