documents to submit for extension of retirement visa

I thought I would find a reply to this question in the Search of this Forum but nothing pops up.

Can a Forum member provide a list of required documents to submit to Immigration to obtain one year extension of my retirement visa (it can be in Thai language as my TF will help and it can also be a link to another source)

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the immediate reply because my Thai wife is somewhat confused because she wants again to go city hall for copy of our marriage certificate etc..

It is my first extension as a retiree and our marriage is no longer a factor

I/O is in Pathum Thani

I have 800,000 THB in the bank 

Edited by fvw53

1 hour ago, fvw53 said:

Thanks for the immediate reply because my Thai wife is somewhat confused because she wants again to go city hall for copy of our marriage certificate etc..

I/O is in Pathum Thani

I have 800,000 THB in the bank 

So to be clear....you have previously obtained extensions based on marriage? 

Now you plan to obtain extension based on retirement? 

Your wife will  need to be with you on day of application.  

Subsequent extensions based on retirement the wife is not required.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

So to be clear....you have previously obtained extensions based on marriage? 

Now you plan to obtain extension based on retirement? 

Your wife will  need to be with you on day of application.  

Subsequent extensions based on retirement the wife is not required.

Any link on the internet to show the required documents / may-be Thai Immigration has it in  Thai language

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Any link on the internet to show the required documents / may-be Thai Immigration has it in  Thai language

Will do.

You are not being clear. 

The requirements already posted  by @TylerBKK 

Seems to me you are asking about "chage from extension based on marriage to based on retirement " 

I asked earlier to clarify. If that's the case you will need your Wife with you and proof you are still married. 

This is required for the previous extension 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

There is no standard list, as each Immigration office may differ in its document request.
Some Immigration offices publish very vague lists, such as Samut Prakan    http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-retirement-visa/

This is my own universal checklist template in detail.

Docs Extension of Stay based on Retirement.odt 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

what type of non immigrant visa do you have, a 'O' or a 'O''A'

The OP has been far less than clear...

He stated earlier ....

"Thai wife is somewhat confused because she wants again to go city hall for copy of our marriage certificate etc..

It is my first extension as a retiree and our marriage is no longer a factor"

Anyone's guess. My thinking is previously using extensions based on marriage from a non O .

Why move to based in retirement is Anyone's guess. 

Thus thread is like extracting teeth. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

If you are not too far from Pathum Thani Immigration you can swing by and the young lady at the reception desk will give you the documents you need to apply for your extension. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Klong Song said:

.....the young lady at the reception desk will give you the documents you need to apply for your extension. 

Also hopefully explain to him that the wife will need to be with him. 

I picked up a set of application documents from Pathumthani immigration last week and I will scan and post here when I get home.

I could not see any difference since last year, but I always take copies of everything.

You may also need to do a TM30 at the same time, so have that paperwork ready.

17 hours ago, fvw53 said:

I thought I would find a reply to this question in the Search of this Forum but nothing pops up.

Can a Forum member provide a list of required documents to submit to Immigration to obtain one year extension of my retirement visa (it can be in Thai language as my TF will help and it can also be a link to another source)

You dont search the Forum you search using Google

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

Following is the list of all of the required documents from my personal experiences at Chaeng Wattana. I realize you are applying in Pathum Thani, but there may be some overlap that could be useful:

1 - Form TM.7 Completed and Signed - 2 Pages - Front & Back

2 - One recent 4X6CM Photo Of Yourself – Attach to back side of form TM.7

3 - A letter from your bank certifying your current account balance. Letter to be issued and dated the same date as the day when applying for the extension of stay. 

4 – Update passbook at the bank on the same day as applying for the extension of stay and create a photocopy of the updated account balance to give to Immigration. Also, photocopy the front page of passbook showing your name and account number and photocopy any pages in between containing any deposits and withdrawals for the past 12 months.

5 – A certified (signed and stamped) bank statement issued by the bank for the 12 month period starting from the date that the last 1 year extension was applied for until the present date.

6 – Photocopy of the first page of the passport and photocopies of all passport pages containing visas stamps and passport entry and exit stamps pertaining to the current visa.

7 - Copy of the current receipt from immigration for form TM.47 (90 day notification of residence address in Thailand).

8 – Hand drawn map showing directions to your residence.

9 - A single page form that only says "Statement" at the top (provided to you at immigration). 

10 - A single page form numbered STM.2 entitled "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF PERMIT OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND". (provided to you at immigration). 

11 - A single form entitled "The Acknowledgement of Penalties for A Visa Overstay" (provided to you at immigration). 

12 - Copy of House Registration (if you have one). 

13 – Copy of Pink Government ID Card (if you have one). 

*All of the above photocopied documents you submit need to also have your hand written signature somewhere on the photocopy (preferably in blue ink). 

I am a little bit confused about #4.
I have the 800,000 baht at UOB bank in EUR (Foreign Devices).
UOB bank doesn't supply customers of a FCA with a Bank Book but send every month a statement of the balance in that account.
Immigration accepted the monthly statements (3 months prior to the aplication), certified by the bank.

But there was a problem to show the balance on the Bank book at the extension day.
I showed the Immigration officials my phone banking application which showed the balance at the time of the extension and the immigration officer accepted that (after taking a picture of the screen of my phone and printing it).

Seems that the Immigration accepted the phone banking screen as proof of the balance.

20 hours ago, TylerBKK said:

Following is the list of all of the required documents from my personal experiences at Chaeng Wattana. I realize you are applying in Pathum Thani, but there may be some overlap that could be useful:

1 - Form TM.7 Completed and Signed - 2 Pages - Front & Back

2 - One recent 4X6CM Photo Of Yourself – Attach to back side of form TM.7

3 - A letter from your bank certifying your current account balance. Letter to be issued and dated the same date as the day when applying for the extension of stay. 

4 – Update passbook at the bank on the same day as applying for the extension of stay and create a photocopy of the updated account balance to give to Immigration. Also, photocopy the front page of passbook showing your name and account number and photocopy any pages in between containing any deposits and withdrawals for the past 12 months.

5 – A certified (signed and stamped) bank statement issued by the bank for the 12 month period starting from the date that the last 1 year extension was applied for until the present date.

6 – Photocopy of the first page of the passport and photocopies of all passport pages containing visas stamps and passport entry and exit stamps pertaining to the current visa.

7 - Copy of the current receipt from immigration for form TM.47 (90 day notification of residence address in Thailand).

8 – Hand drawn map showing directions to your residence.

9 - A single page form that only says "Statement" at the top (provided to you at immigration). 

10 - A single page form numbered STM.2 entitled "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF PERMIT OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND". (provided to you at immigration). 

11 - A single form entitled "The Acknowledgement of Penalties for A Visa Overstay" (provided to you at immigration). 

12 - Copy of House Registration (if you have one). 

13 – Copy of Pink Government ID Card (if you have one). 

*All of the above photocopied documents you submit need to also have your hand written signature somewhere on the photocopy (preferably in blue ink). 

No need for a copy of a rental agreement (lease)?  In some offices they require that. 

I'm also interested they now require a drawn map.  It's been a few years since I did my extension at CW and they never asked for a map of any kind but in Koh Samui they have for quite a while.

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I am a little bit confused about #4.
I have the 800,000 baht at UOB bank in EUR (Foreign Devices).
UOB bank doesn't supply customers of a FCA with a Bank Book but send every month a statement of the balance in that account.
Immigration accepted the monthly statements (3 months prior to the aplication), certified by the bank.

But there was a problem to show the balance on the Bank book at the extension day.
I showed the Immigration officials my phone banking application which showed the balance at the time of the extension and the immigration officer accepted that (after taking a picture of the screen of my phone and printing it).

Seems that the Immigration accepted the phone banking screen as proof of the balance.

I used to have an FCD (foreign currency deposit) account at UOB before too. It was always a challenge to satisfy immigration requirements because they didn't provide me with a bank book for that account.

And only the head office branch of UOB was able to give me the letter I needed to verify the account balance on the account. So I used to go to the head office in the morning (before going to immigration) to get the 12 monthly statements printed out by the bank and the letter. It would take them 1.5 to 2 hours to do everything. By the time I got to immigration it was already lunch time. I would then get a queue number at 1:00 and I didn't finish at immigration until 4:30. It was a whole day used up. 

And then I still had problems sometimes with immigration because there was no bank book with the account. Also, my FCD account balance didn't show in the UOB mobile internet banking app at that time. But that's changed now with UOB it sounds like from what you said. 

Eventually I moved the funds to SCB though. They give you a bank book with foreign currency deposit accounts. They can also print a 12 month statement for you at any SCB branch. So that made things much easier for me. So with SCB (on an FCD account) you can get the letter, the 12 month statement, and get the bank book all updated at any SCB branch, just like a normal Thai Baht account. So using SCB made things much easier than using UOB. So I would get everything done at my local SCB branch in the morning and then go out to CW. 

Now I'm no longer using an FCD account and I have a regular Thai Baht account for the 800K Baht, but for using an FCD account for immigration purposes I found that SCB was much easier than using UOB. 

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why would you choose SCB...One of the few banks that does not have  a branch at CW..

At the time I was looking for an alternative bank to UOB for a foreign currency deposit account. I already had a Thai Baht account at SCB so it was easy for me to just move it there. And since SCB provides a bank book with an FCD account, it was a big incentive for me.

I think some banks also wouldn't open an FCD account for a foreigner at that time unless they had a work permit. In the end though I found FCD accounts to be a hassle in general. The only way to easily update the bank book for an FCD account is to do a small withdrawal of your foreign currency into Baht. At least with Thai Baht account you can transfer 50 Baht in from another Thai Baht account via a mobile app and then just update the book very easily.  

Now that you can book an online queue for an appointment time at immigration, it also doesn't matter to me so much if there is a branch of the bank at CW or not. As long as you have an afternoon appointment time, you can go to your local bank branch in the morning, get all your paperwork, then go to CW in the afternoon, and you will not have to wait very long to renew you visa extension. 

To be honest, I've found many of the banks have their pros and cons. Bangkok Bank has a branch at CW, but they have that issue with taking 3-4 days to issue a 12 month statement, which makes them much less desirable for using with a retirement visa, even though they have a branch at CW.

If you really want a bank with a branch at CW then Krungsri or KBank are probably your best options. KBank had their credit rating downgraded though by S&P in 2022.

But as I said, with having the online appointment queuing system now available for immigration, I don't feel that it's critical for me to choose a bank with a branch at CW anymore. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, TylerBKK said:

I used to have an FCD (foreign currency deposit) account at UOB before too. It was always a challenge to satisfy immigration requirements because they didn't provide me with a bank book for that account.

And only the head office branch of UOB was able to give me the letter I needed to verify the account balance on the account. So I used to go to the head office in the morning (before going to immigration) to get the 12 monthly statements printed out by the bank and the letter. It would take them 1.5 to 2 hours to do everything. By the time I got to immigration it was already lunch time. I would then get a queue number at 1:00 and I didn't finish at immigration until 4:30. It was a whole day used up. 

And then I still had problems sometimes with immigration because there was no bank book with the account. Also, my FCD account balance didn't show in the UOB mobile internet banking app at that time. But that's changed now with UOB it sounds like from what you said. 

Eventually I moved the funds to SCB though. They give you a bank book with foreign currency deposit accounts. They can also print a 12 month statement for you at any SCB branch. So that made things much easier for me. So with SCB (on an FCD account) you can get the letter, the 12 month statement, and get the bank book all updated at any SCB branch, just like a normal Thai Baht account. So using SCB made things much easier than using UOB. So I would get everything done at my local SCB branch in the morning and then go out to CW. 

Now I'm no longer using an FCD account and I have a regular Thai Baht account for the 800K Baht, but for using an FCD account for immigration purposes I found that SCB was much easier than using UOB. 

I agree that it is not easy with the different banks in Thailand.

A few years ago, te requirements changed from 400K baht to 800K baht and I wanted to top-up my current bank account at Bangkok Bank.
Although I had a FCA (USD), they didn't allow me to top-up my existing account.
I needed to have a letter from my Embassy the they would guarantee my account, which was not possible.

I tried different banks to store the additional 400K baht, but everywhere the rules for opening a bank account were not possible for me (work permit, tax-id number, etc.)
Only UOB, where I had already an account was willing to open an FCA account, but the minimum was 25,000 EUR.

Now, with the phone banking account and the UOB-TMRW account (prompt pay) rulse seems to have changed and it would not be strange if Immigration will adapt their rules too.

I used an agent last year to do my marriage visa. This year I want to do it on my own as I have the  necessary funds in the bank. 

Will I encounter any problems about my bank account balance? The agent withdrew the necessary funds from my account as soon as the visa paperwork was accepted and I had the necessary stamp in my passport (pending). When I apply for the visa in June, I will have had the required balance in the bank just a shade over three months. Therefore, my bank account will show a balance below 400,000 from June 2023 until March 2024. How will this look when the immigration sees my bank statement for the past 12 months?

I will be using the same immigration office as I did with the agent. 

Edited by jingjai9
grammatical errors

17 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I agree that it is not easy with the different banks in Thailand.

A few years ago, te requirements changed from 400K baht to 800K baht and I wanted to top-up my current bank account at Bangkok Bank.
Although I had a FCA (USD), they didn't allow me to top-up my existing account.
I needed to have a letter from my Embassy the they would guarantee my account, which was not possible.

I tried different banks to store the additional 400K baht, but everywhere the rules for opening a bank account were not possible for me (work permit, tax-id number, etc.)
Only UOB, where I had already an account was willing to open an FCA account, but the minimum was 25,000 EUR.

Now, with the phone banking account and the UOB-TMRW account (prompt pay) rulse seems to have changed and it would not be strange if Immigration will adapt their rules too.

Yes, FCA can be tricky as you experienced. I like UOB a lot but the fact that the statements are monthly only on an FCA, that there is no bank book, and because they only do the letter at the head office branch, I decided it was too much headache for me. 

Your experience with immigration accepting a screen shot of your online banking is great, but there is also no guarantee that they will accept that again in the future. 

The main reason I was using an FCA before was because the Thai Baht was very strong and I didn't want to convert a lot of dollars into Baht at a low exchange rate at that time. But when the Baht hit 35 to the dollar I changed it all over to Thai baht and got rid of the FCA.

FCA can also be a problem if you aren't keeping more than an equivalent of approximately ฿800,000 in the FCD account. The issue is, if the Baht strengthens a lot in the future, one could suddenly find that they don't meet the requirements anymore of having ฿800,000 equivalent in the account, which could then be a much bigger problem.

If I were in your situation right now, I would probably convert some of the FCA money into ฿800,000 and put that in a regular Thai Baht savings account with UOB. The exchange rates are also still very good right now.

Then, when you extend your visa in the future, you can just go to any UOB branch and get your letter, your account book updated, and a 12 month statement done immediately with no problems.

UOB does not have a Branch at CW, but they do have a Branch on CW Road close to the Don Muang highway CW Road intersection that you could use if you want to use a UOB branch close to CW immigration. 

9 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

I used an agent last year to do my marriage visa. This year I want to do it on my own as I have the  necessary funds in the bank. 

Will I encounter any problems about my bank account balance? The agent withdrew the necessary funds from my account as soon as the visa paperwork was accepted and I had the necessary stamp in my passport (pending). When I apply for the visa in June, I will have had the required balance in the bank just a shade over three months. Therefore, my bank account will show a balance below 400,000 from June 2023 until March 2024. How will this look when the immigration sees my bank statement for the past 12 months?

I will be using the same immigration office as I did with the agent. 

Hi. This thread is really about retirement visas. Not about family visas. Thus, it might be better for you to start a new topic about your family visa situation so that people don't get confused. Personally, I don't know the answer to your question or I would have given you an answer. Sorry. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TylerBKK said:

UOB does not have a Branch at CW, but they do have a Branch on CW Road close to the Don Muang highway CW Road intersection that you could use if you want to use a UOB branch close to CW immigration. 

So much about nothing. 

Kasikorn is one of the 3 banks that WISE do transfers to Thailand up to 2 mil baht.

They also have branch at CW.

They can also do yearly bank statements on the spot, however takes solid 30 mins.

I suggest obtain the annual statement day or 2 prior. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

So much about nothing. 

Kasikorn is one of the 3 banks that WISE do transfers to Thailand up to 2 mil baht.

They also have branch at CW.

They can also do yearly bank statements on the spot, however takes solid 30 mins.

I suggest obtain the annual statement day or 2 prior. 

Personally, I am not a fan of KBank because of their low credit rating and I prefer only making one visit to the bank and on the same day that I go to immigration. But, again, to each his own. 👍🏼

15 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

Therefore, my bank account will show a balance below 400,000 from June 2023 until March 2024.

Marriage extensions are made using money in bank method OR income method.

You seem to be using money in bank method.

That method only requires the 400k in bank 2 months prior to application and during under consideration period. 

Why are you concerned about funds in bank other than the 2 months required.

8 minutes ago, TylerBKK said:

Yes, FCA can be tricky as you experienced. I like UOB a lot but the fact that the statements are monthly only on an FCA, that there is no bank book, and because they only do the letter at the head office branch, I decided it was too much headache for me. 

Your experience with immigration accepting a screen shot of your online banking is great, but there is also no guarantee that they will accept that again in the future. 

The main reason I was using an FCA before was because the Thai Baht was very strong and I didn't want to convert a lot of dollars into Baht at a low exchange rate at that time. But when the Baht hit 35 to the dollar I changed it all over to Thai baht and got rid of the FCA.

FCA can also be a problem if you aren't keeping more than an equivalent of approximately ฿800,000 in the FCD account. The issue is, if the Baht strengthens a lot in the future, one could suddenly find that they don't meet the requirements anymore of having ฿800,000 equivalent in the account, which could then be a much bigger problem.

If I were in your situation right now, I would probably convert some of the FCA money into ฿800,000 and put that in a regular Thai Baht savings account with UOB. The exchange rates are also still very good right now.

Then, when you extend your visa in the future, you can just go to any UOB branch and get your letter, your account book updated, and a 12 month statement done immediately with no problems.

I don't know what times you are talking about, but I get everything done at the local UOB Branch at Nakhon Ratchasima.
Already many years.
Also, withdraw money from my FCA account to top-up my Savings account (EUR -> THB) at the local branch in Nakhon Rathasima.
No need to go to Bangkok every time for that.
I didn't try it yet, but it should be possible to do everything via the UOB-TMRW Application (prompt pay) also .

Changing everything to Thai baht is not a good option for me because I am in the frame window of a Visa extension now and I plan anyhow to return to Europe soon.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

I don't know what times you are talking about, but I get everything done at the local UOB Branch at Nakhon Ratchasima.
Already many years.
Also, withdraw money from my FCA account to top-up my Savings account (EUR -> THB) at the local branch in Nakhon Rathasima.
No need to go to Bangkok every time for that.
I didn't try it yet, but it should be possible to do everything via the UOB-TMRW Application (prompt pay) also .

Changing everything to Thai baht is not a good option for me because I am in the frame window of a Visa extension now and I plan anyhow to return to Europe soon.

Understood. Then no need to change anything. Sorry, I thought you were in Bangkok and that you planned to stay in Thailand a longer time.

Hopefully they will accept your screenshot again next year. But if you can get a letter in the future from UOB in Korat to confirm your FCA balance that might be better. Best wishes. 

On 3/4/2024 at 3:56 PM, fvw53 said:

So, assuming from this statement that you are switching from marriage to retirement as the reason for your annual extension of stays, in addition to your wife needing to be present as already said, another point to note is that your initial retirement extension will be dated from when you applied for it and NOT from when your current permission to stay expires (as has presumably been hitherto the case with your marriage extensions following the first one).

Edited by OJAS