Red Sea cables have been damaged, disrupting internet traffic

george

Red Sea cables have been damaged, disrupting internet traffic

network-4393368.jpg

LondonCNN — 

Damage to submarine cables in the Red Sea is disrupting telecommunications networks and forcing providers to reroute as much as a quarter of traffic between Asia, Europe and the Middle East, including internet traffic.

Cables belonging to four major telecoms networks have been “cut” causing “significant” disruption to communications networks in the Middle East, according to Hong Kong telecoms company HGC Global Communications.

HGC estimates that 25% of traffic between Asia and Europe as well the Middle East has been impacted, it said in a statement Monday.

The company said it is rerouting traffic to minimize disruption for customers and also “extending assistance to affected businesses.” 

HGC did not say how the cables had been damaged or who was responsible.

Full story:https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/04/business/red-sea-cables-cut-internet

• Like 1

My internet provider is Ais...normally very good service, however around 4pm everyday you can see the speed drop substantially.

Even watch Youtube on TV it keeps dropping out and reloading.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

My internet provider is Ais...normally very good service, however around 4pm everyday you can see the speed drop substantially.

Looks like that's roughly the time when the kids are out of school and start tik-ing and tok-ing like crazy. How about Sunday? Same effect?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, george said:

Damage to submarine cables in the Red Sea is disrupting telecommunications networks and forcing providers to reroute as much as a quarter of traffic between Asia, Europe and the Middle East, including internet traffic.

Thanks for this information, there was I thinking it was due to the individual internet providers being over subscribed ..............LOL 😂🤣😎

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Looks like that's roughly the time when the kids are out of school and start tik-ing and tok-ing like crazy. How about Sunday? Same effect?

Same

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Even watch Youtube on TV it keeps dropping out and reloading.

Then we should all agree not to use the internet after 4pm....problem solved.

• Haha 1

I'm with 3bb. For about 10 days on and off I've had the dreaded blue buffering circle going round and round. My IPTV had become completely unwatchable, so my provider did numerous checks and reported their servers were working normally and offered a print out of their output speeds. They reckoned my bandwidth was being throttled.

So today 3bb showed up, and last thing the engineer said was, he'd removed all blocks and limiters on bandwidth. I'm on the 300 Mbps package. So it suggests 3bb where throttling. I'll know as I go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, john donson said:

AIS, can still see youtube, but I like to download as mp3 to listen when I wake up at night

lately, what took seconds, now takes half an hour, per file...

YouTube doesn't like downloads, as their main business is streaming, so you may be throttled at their end.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/04/business/red-sea-cables-cut-internet/index.html

The destruction of cables in the Red Sea comes weeks after the official Yemeni government warned of the possibility that Houthi rebels would target the cables. The Iranian-backed militants have already disrupted global supply chains by attacking commercial vessels in the crucial waterway.
An F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter jet parked on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier in the Red Sea.

Related article Inside the US Navy’s frontline fight against the Houthis in the Red Sea

Reports last week from Israeli news outlet Globes suggested the Houthis had been behind the damage to the cables. Yemeni rebel leader Abdel Malek al-Houthi denied the allegations. “We have no intention of targeting sea cables providing internet to countries in the region,” he said.

The Houthis have since blamed British and US military units operating in the area for the damage, according to a report Saturday by the rebels’ official news agency.

10 hours ago, bradiston said:

I'm with 3bb. For about 10 days on and off I've had the dreaded blue buffering circle going round and round. My IPTV had become completely unwatchable, so my provider did numerous checks and reported their servers were working normally and offered a print out of their output speeds. They reckoned my bandwidth was being throttled.

So today 3bb showed up, and last thing the engineer said was, he'd removed all blocks and limiters on bandwidth. I'm on the 300 Mbps package. So it suggests 3bb where throttling. I'll know as I go.

Bad news. Evening viewing is back to buffering. Tried a VPN but with no result. Have to watch the cycling on Eurosport on terrestrial digital sophon.

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Bad news. Evening viewing is back to buffering. Tried a VPN but with no result. Have to watch the cycling on Eurosport on terrestrial digital sophon.

More likely your iptv provider than 3bb throttling.

Throttling you work around with a vpn, so if that also doesn't work then you have your answer

• Thanks 1