UPDATE: Swiss man’s visa revoked

webfact

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

In this case the "tantrums and bad behaviour" were exclusively the actions of the Swiss guy.

It appears that way, but I was not there to be sure. Apart from the hundreds of protesting at his steps he got later of course.

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Another Fake initial Headline. His Visa has not been revoked.    Yet. 

You think immigration is going to deny the request of a top police Lt for a man who kicks Thais and messes with ambulances? The request is just a formality. His visa expires March 13th anyway and I doubt he'll be blacklisted. This is just appeasement to the protestors and people worked up over what this piece of <deleted> human and his wife did.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 1

It is very likely that upon expiry of his visa which is imminent it will not be renewed and that the court sentence will be issued in absentia which automatically excludes him from applying for a new visa.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Swiss national’s visa status under review following Phuket assault case
update by Mitch Conno

image.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Phuket Info Centre

The visa status of a Swiss national, embroiled in an assault case in Phuket, is set to undergo review by the immigration police, according to Deputy Phuket Governor, Adul Chuthong. The Swiss national, known as Urs Fehr or David, whose visa is due to expire on March 13, is the operator of several Thai businesses and has a registered foundation under his name.

“Immigration will review Fehr’s visa status and decide whether or not to extend the visa when it expires,” stated Adul. He added that the legality of Fehr’s businesses and foundation in Thailand are also under investigation.

The scrutiny of Fehr intensified after an assault report was lodged by Thandao Chandam, a 26 year old doctor at Dibuk Hospital. The incident, which took place on February 24, involved Fehr kicking Chandam and her friend in their backs as they were stargazing on the beach, positioned in front of his rented villa. Fehr alleged that the pair were trespassing on his property, however, subsequent investigations found that the steps were built on public land.

Adul stated that Fehr has been given a 30-day notice to remove the steps. Failure to comply will result in local authorities dismantling them and imposing the cost of the work on him.

While Fehr has been charged with assault, the incident has sparked demands for a comprehensive investigation into his property and businesses.

Assurances have been given by the deputy governor that action will be taken against individuals infringing on public land and those acting above the law.

In the meantime, Phuket Governor, Sopon Suwanrat, has tasked district chiefs and security officials to initiate an investigation and report their findings.

Provincial Police Region 8 Commissioner, Police Lieutenant General Surapong Thanomjit, stated on Monday that the police will delve deeper into the case, as immigration police hold the power to revoke visas of criminal offenders and deport them back to their home countries, reported Bangkok Post.

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

I think that the severe reaction of many Thais to this has to do with his particulars, at least what they are seeing and reading.

Incredible stuff on both on TV and Social Media. Since this is what Thais are seeing and reading, it's not surprising about their reaction.

Edited by FarangRimPing
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, FarangRimPing said:

Not sure if it was he or his girlfriend posting the items. (Press calls her his wife but they're not married and her surname is that of a different European.)

It is not Law in Thailand to have the name of your husband, my wife changed it to mine after we were married becoz she wanted to. There is a separate Cert. that shows this, its the same size as the marriage cert. Please post a link where it states not married.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It sounds like he deserves it but then again I'm not thrilled to hear about expats being deported as a general thing. I would have preferred some kind of plan where this man was forced to humiliate himself publicly in a super dramatic way. Lost face for life. I doubt he would reoffend.

Deport him! Too many people offering violence in countries that have been kind enough to let them stay and getting away with a slap on the wrist, sometimes not even that. If it were up to me, I'd give him a jail sentence and then deport him. Lefty solutions like holding a candlelit vigil outside his house, group singing "Cum Ba Yah", having a protest march or handing out leaflets would be water off a duck's back to thick skinned bolshy types like this guy.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Adul stated that Fehr has been given a 30-day notice to remove the steps. Failure to comply will result in local authorities dismantling them and imposing the cost of the work on him.

I thought that Fehr was only the tenant, how could he be liable for the encroachment?

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

For some reason I had a problem with posting and I hit submit reply more than once. I do not see a delete message option. As for my comment it still stands why should we keep  other countries trashy people here when they commit offences? By the way are you a moderator?

If you post multiple replies, either by accident or on purpose, you cannot delete them but you can always go back and edit them to remove their contents. Alternatively, you can use the report button and notify me and I'll delete them for you, just as I am about to now. Whilst writing, please see below a link to forum rules which you may wish to read,.

https://aseannow.com/forum_rules/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jippytum said:

This is knee jerk reaction to a minor incident.  The Swiss guy was in the wrong but come on. 150 Thais with nothing better to do  having  a protest. 

500 of them 

2 hours ago, geisha said:

He has a strange name , is it Swiss ??

His name is Urs Peter Fehr, yes, he is Swiss, and he and his Elephant Sanctary have been featured positively in several Swiss newspapers and magazines well before these incidents

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

registered foundation under his name.

Now do a money trail of the Donations, he seem to have done all right out of it at 1m rent a month. 

• Like 1

Just now, Swiss1960 said:

His name is Urs Peter Fehr, yes, he is Swiss, and he and his Elephant Sanctary have been featured positively in several Swiss newspapers and magazines well before these incidents

And now I wonder how the donators feel that is rich.

33 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The thought in my mind is:

Does the punishment fit the crime and is the response proportionate?

If so, fine, if not, everyone needs to be very very careful.

I've lived here for over 20 years. 

I'm sure we have nothing to worry about. 

Good people should not be concerned, just behave, we'll be fine. 

It is a wake up call for the trouble makers out there. 

Thailand has too many foolish foreigners, could do with a clean out. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

You think immigration is going to deny the request of a top police Lt for a man who kicks Thais and messes with ambulances? The request is just a formality. His visa expires March 13th anyway and I doubt he'll be blacklisted. This is just appeasement to the protestors and people worked up over what this piece of <deleted> human and his wife did.

Seriously, he must be the most hated immigrant in Thailand right now.

While his actions are completely OTT it shows how vulnerable we all are living here if the powers to be want to revoke a visa for something like this just because of peer pressure. 

I have 2 children and 1 that I'm the sole custodian, does that mean I do anything wrong they can throw me out of the country with a possible ban for small stuff? 

Edited by 2008bangkok
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's interesting how much publicity and public outrage this has created. A day or so later a tourist was mown down and killed on a pedestrian crossing by a hit and run, and not a whisper. That's normal I suppose, while kicking someone isn't.

And don't take this post as support for the arrogant Swiss, who I'd rather see spend six months in a Thai jail than only be deported - if he ever is, as he isn't short of a baht or two. His problem in this case though is that he attacked a Thai, so money might not talk.

Well, nothing ever happens in a vacuum. The reaction was intense, but it was at least to some extent prompted by ex-pats who simply do not behave themselves. Most of us treat our hosts, and our host nation with some respect. Granted I do not show much respect to the nation's leaders here on this forum, but that is a different story. They do not deserve respect. Most Thais I know feel the same way. I do show alot of respect and kindness towards most Thais. And that is what counts. They are only asking to be treated with decency and respect. I do not think that is an unreasonable request. And I do not think most Thais are xenophobic. I have felt that before, elsewhere. Believe me, it does not feel like this. I find most Thais to be kind, and hospitable, but they do not have much tolerance for foreigners who behave like total idiots, and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't either. Urs David Fehr was a complete butthead, and proved that over and over again. It is likely even his mother was thankful when he left Switzerland. Now, he may be heading back. I am hoping this publicity follows him around, like white on rice. 

• Agree 1