UPDATE: Swiss man’s visa revoked

webfact

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Wolfgang Ulrich had money.

Ullrich said he had invested more than one billion baht in Pattaya even though he had gone bankrupt. He said he was now building a ‘Condominium for Senior Citizens’ at a cost of 300 million baht. He said this project would provide jobs for many hundreds of Thai people. He said as this problem had come up, he would have to move his investments to another country.

--http://www.pattayamail.com/268/news.htm#hd1

Of which he was relieved of a considerable portion. Jailed, deported, leaving his yacht behind.

Would be interesting to know where he and his cash went after the deportation. Philippines, maybe.

Also, if they had clear evidence, especially for the human trafficking part, why was he merely deported, and not charged and jailed .Either the evidence wasn't conclusive  or ,more likely,  many higher-ups would have been implicated, leading to some of the evidence being swept under the carpet.

Ulrich was a "Pattaya celebrity " back then.Everybody knew that he was a godfather with lots of support from Pattaya authorities. 

9 hours ago, Nordic summer said:

The only possible outcome from this unfortunate episode.

'Unfortunate' ? I'd rather say 'arrogance', 'rude', 'violence', 'have something to hide'.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And they do exist.

Two+ decades back there was a regular 'event' in the big supermarket in the basement under Robinsons Sukhumvit Bkk. I saw this event several times.

A big overweight loud EU man, I guess 50

+ years old would be walking, meat, fresh vegetables etc., and all other areas of the s'market, smoking a big smelly cigar. Staff / managers / foreign and Thai customers asking him to put out the cigar or leave the store, often with quite some abuse, mostly from the western customers. He always ignored their comments / requests.

Eventually he got to the cashier with his shopping, paid and then left. All the time with more abuse from locals and foreigners which he totally ignored.

Often he would then enter McDonalds, stiff smoking his cigar, order food wait for his food, still pumping cigar smoke over everybody.

His food would come then he would sit in MCDonalds and eat, still smoking his cigar.

Always lots of abuse and McDonalds mgr / supvr and customers asking him to leave. Most of the customer abuse was from westerners.

He ignored it all, finished his meal then left the store still pumping out lots of cigar smoke. 

Another event from just a few years ago. The guy who kicked the Thai woman who accidentally walked off with his grocery cart.  

7 minutes ago, n00dle said:

All of you fools delighting in the fate of this man are too blind to see that this is how witch hunts begin. Its great he is being charged, but it is getting out of hand.  

under the mob mentality, this kind of thing snowballs.  Before you know it there will be an increase in assaults against foreigners in Phuket as people become more thin-skinned and "stand up for themselves" against insults and grievances, real or perceived.

I don't take delight... but I don't have much sympathy towards him either... it is what it is... and hopefully he will take responsibility for his actions and accept the consequences of it (as he should).   Pretty much the vast majority of us are on non-immigrant or tourist visas (temporary status) and thus any criminal or behaviour that is abhorrent to the Thai sensibilities could have us find ourselves persona non-grata.  I was well aware of this fact when working/living in several other countries when I was younger (which is why I avoided things like politics in those countries, I still had an opinion and did not worry about stating it - but avoided protesting or signing petitions).  

This was assault, which is criminal behaviour... and quite honestly if someone commits a crime in a foreign country... (IMHO) you will be at risk of being deported.  On top of this, his assault was compounded with regards to Thai sensibilities because it was against someone who by being a doctor and thus has some status in a class oriented society, it made things worse.... and worse yet, he used his foot (i.e. considered the dirtiest part of the body in Thailand).  

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It sounds like he deserves it but then again I'm not thrilled to hear about expats being deported as a general thing. I would have preferred some kind of plan where this man was forced to humiliate himself publicly in a super dramatic way. Lost face for life. I doubt he would reoffend.

A loss of face which is what you are suggesting means nothing to this kind of person. Lock him up, deport and ban for life.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A nonsense post.

There was a mob assembled on Sunday morning calling for his deportation. 

Due process for visa cancellation or deportation must be followed, or we are all at risk. 

BTW I am a permanent resident that will become a naturalised Thai citizen next year. 

Don't let the local's know, just carry on Wai-ing................:clap2:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Correct. There are a few on here that cannot understand these simple concepts and are taking glee in another's misfortune.

I used to call it 'I'm a better expat than thou' syndrome.

They don't understand that we are all fair game and equally worthless in the eyes of the Thais. 

😂..........A farangy assault supporter..... Do NOT let immigration or your locals know you are, if they do, your status may take a sudden change..............😱...............😂

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

This man, being smug and full of himself, forgot where he is and that he's a guest in this country that

doesn't tolerate such, 'I'm better than you' type of behaviour towards the locals,

Maybe that will teach him a lesson where ever he will thing to go and retire next...

People like that have huge egos and don't learn. He'll continue to do such things wherever he thinks he can get away with it. He demonstrated his character, that's who he is

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

A nonsense post.

There was a mob assembled on Sunday morning calling for his deportation. 

Due process for visa cancellation or deportation must be followed, or we are all at risk. 

BTW I am a permanent resident that will become a naturalised Thai citizen next year. 

Even when you be come  a  a naturalised Thai citizen they can revoked that status

Citizenship Revocation

The Thai government cannot revoke your Thai citizenship if you have acquired it by bloodright. Should the government exercise such an action on the individual, it would violate the international convention on human rights.

However, the government will have the authority to revoke a person’s Thai citizenship if such an individual imposes a national threat to the public and the society.

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/dual-citizenship-under-thai-nationality-law/

if you choose to revoked your current citizenship technical they couldn't deport you as you would be stateless

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, zhounan said:

My question remains the same:

would the result have been the same if he would have kicked a worker from Isaan?

It would depending on the Issan worker connections for example if the issan worker was related to the Doctor father do you think he would just ignore it 

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It goes straight over the heads of many here who indeed think they are a higher quality expat, living in their bubble!

Yeah until the day comes that they get scammed by a local and get a reality check.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Yeah until the day comes that they get scammed by a local and get a reality check.

For sure 100%

That's when they wake up and smell the coffee and I was that soldier, twice, many years ago!

I lend money to nobody anymore, Thai or expat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

sucks to be her.... But then she would be better off not being with such a violent man.

She seems to be as evil as he is, they really deserve each other

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

they just wont renew it

"we have a problem" is usually fixed with a brown envelope
will likely need be a very fat brown envelope in Phuket
or smaller brown envelope somewhere else
but if he does not have a visa, he cannot stay to face charges
so if they want him to face charges he will need a visa 
if he is not officially blacklisted
he could also get a visa elsewhere and return
but that is only if they let him leave, then see above
or is there some way they can deny a foreigner to leave and not provide a visa for them to stay?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1