If you can't be happy in Thailand

1 minute ago, Sluglord said:

This is a really stupid post.

Expatriates that have been here for decades have frustrations built up as they would in home countries bc this is their home country! Some things are especially frustrating bc we know they are stupid and will never change.

Having said that.. I'm back in US at the moment and everything is sad and broken. I told my wife the only thing I will ever moan about in Thailand are:

Moto on footpath

Broken footpaths

*I live in central Bangkok

I'd urge some of you if needed to travel back and look at what used to be their country. Pre Biden, pre COVID, pre 2008 crash.

The nation is wholly broken. Dealing with anyone in service is an absolute nightmare.

I'm never going back again. Dead serious.

Vote Trump.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dolf said:

No concern to westerners. 

No concern to you but others have family and or genuinely want the country to move forward.

You, obviously don't care

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dolf said:

Vote Trump.

Nothing will bring America back. The debt is too high, there is too much debt public and private, unaffordable health care and Trump has never discussed. Basic essentials moving out of reach of middle class. On, on on

US is finished

Trump will drain the swamp this time or die trying. We can only count on his vegence. He'd also be one term president so wake up.

3 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

Nothing will bring America back. The debt is too high, there is too much debt public and private, unaffordable health care and Trump has never discussed. Basic essentials moving out of reach of middle class. On, on on

US is finished

Trump will drain the swamp this time or die trying. We can only count on his vegence. He'd also be one term president so wake up.

I agree the US looks almost stuffed. These wars must have cost trillions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

US is finished

Off topic but debt is the least of that countries worries. The entire cultural fabric has been destroyed by immigration and it's essentially just a glorified work camp where you can live work and pay interest on loans to banks. There's no central unifying national identity and people the military is going to collapse just in time when they start the next world war. I could go on and on. There's no salvation for that country unless it breaks apart into smaller regions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

No concern to you but others have family and or genuinely want the country to move forward.

He doesn't want Thailand to move forward lest his "cheap" activities dry up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Off topic but debt is the least of that countries worries. The entire cultural fabric has been destroyed by immigration and it's essentially just a glorified work camp where you can live work and pay interest on loans to banks. There's no central unifying national identity and people the military is going to collapse just in time when they start the next world war. I could go on and on. There's no salvation for that country unless it breaks apart into smaller regions.

I don't disagree.

But debt is most poisonous...

42 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

Thais don't. Nobody cares what a bunch of old farangs want. If Thais wanted to modernise things then the Move Forward party would have won more votes.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, PJ71 said:

abissmal education system

Not true.

The Nursery schools here are "top shelf". 👍

I'll bet a bag of Chinese Chromosome Donuts with the green sauce that you didn't go to such august institutions back in your home country? 😜

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sluglord said:

The entire cultural fabric has been destroyed by immigration

Yeah, instead of employing poor Thais from the North in Surat Thani (yes, my wife's parents went to Surat for work long ago) they now employ poor Burmese.

Lovely people.  I don't understand what's so toxic about their culture?

You freaking out about the face powder 😅

17 hours ago, Dolf said:

I like driving there, top fun. Visas yes I give you that. Easy language. Education? No concern to westerners. 

Now age 77 and still enjoy driving car and motorbike in Thailand, as I have over the past 13 years. Always tell folks it is a sure test for alzeimers as your brain has to be firing on all cylinders every moment driving ... if not? Meat, bone and blood everywhere!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dolf said:

If people aren't happy in Thailand I wonder what will make them happy. Unless you are a skier who need snows I'm not sure why people rubbish Thailand. Cheap dental, cheap food, lots of women, cheap rooms.

you forgot that the food can be local (great) or international.  weather is much easier to forecast than just about any western country.  BTW I also subscribe to the PI forum - it is exactly like that here, most of those writing just complain about the locals - but surprisingly, they also complain about not having anyone to speak English with - I lived in Thailand in the 60/70's and hardly anyone spoke English as now I find many do while I speak Thai but in the PI when I was there 70's'90's everyone spoke English even in the countryside so I am not sure about those writing in the forum there.   I agree and wonder what would make many happy here other than fewer visits to immigration or contact with immigration (if it works) and thank GOD that there is no snow or cold enough for snow here!

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Having lived here for 10 years now, my observations suggest that most of the moaning and groaning emanate not from those of us living our quiet, contented lives in the villages, but from the farang infested ghettos of Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

well, I have lived in Thailand many times working in NKP and BKK (10 years) and retired here in 2005 in BKK but grew bored with the traffic so moved to Chiang Mai 10 years ago.  We bought a house there, love it and even if we sold the house, we would still try to stay in CM province.  You will not see much grumbling from me about Thailand as I have been here long enough to realize the great difference my life would be if I was forced to live in the US.  Not just financial but too many other reasons too.  Immigration problems are fewer today than they used to be and it appears they are trying to make the in-person visits fewer too as it swamps them too.  Maybe though if the costs for immigration do jump too high, things might be different unless quality of service jumps too.  My opinion anyway from someone who has been in and out of Thailand for the past 50 year period and seen a lot of changes but I too have changed a lot and not all as great.

18 hours ago, Nemises said:

- some of the most dangerous roads in the world

That’s why I drive a BIG truck. 

- endless bueracracy

Doesn’t affect me. Never experienced it any worse than in the homeland - for me anyway. 

- visa issues

Never had an issue. Very easy to obtain - for me anyway. 

- daily discrimination ( depending on where you live )

Not where I live 

- shocking air quality

That’s why I use purifiers and stay inside on days with poor air quality. 

- language that's difficult ( but no impossible ) to learn

English is spoken everywhere where I live, no need to learn Thai. 

- banking regulations

Have 2 Thai bank accounts. Never had a problem with any “regulations”. 

- abissmal education system

Maybe to some, but irrelevant to me

Should i continue?

Yes please 

Absolutely nailed it 

Time to dust off my tale of leaving LOS.

Seven years here and got fed up. Moved to Mexico, and STUPIDLY/STUBBORNLY did NOT get a re-entry permit, I was DONE with this place!

I was back in about 6 weeks. The very first day back I was reminded why I left in the first place (trying to get internet to my rented condo) but it was with a renewed appreciation. Yes, I had to get a whole new retirement visa, but I knew that was my own fault. Sum num na to ME! 😁

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Time to dust off my tale of leaving LOS.

Seven years here and got fed up. Moved to Mexico, and STUPIDLY/STUBBORNLY did NOT get a re-entry permit, I was DONE with this place!

I was back in about 6 weeks. The very first day back I was reminded why I left in the first place (trying to get internet to my rented condo) but it was with a renewed appreciation. Yes, I had to get a whole new retirement visa, but I knew that was my own fault. Sum num na to ME! 😁

Try Hawaii next time, not Mexico!

Some people are born miserable probably sitting in front of a computer thinking of whom can I upset today 

Life is what you make it take each day as a new beginning enjoy the positives 

You only have one life Enjoy 😉 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Hold on buttercup, you forgot:

- some of the most dangerous roads in the world

- endless bueracracy

- visa issues

- daily discrimination ( depending on where you live )

- shocking air quality

- language that's difficult ( but no impossible ) to learn

- banking regulations

- abissmal education system

Should i continue?

So you wouldn't be happy anywhere...55555

10 hours ago, Sluglord said:

So exactly what direction is forward for THAILAND... they should model the WEST... that's mostly a failing social program... please enlighten us... SIMPLE question... WHICH DIRECTION IS FORWARD?

19 hours ago, Dolf said:

If people aren't happy in Thailand I wonder what will make them happy. Unless you are a skier who need snows I'm not sure why people rubbish Thailand. Cheap dental, cheap food, lots of women, cheap rooms.

Hallo Bignock

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Denim said:

The type that are happy enough here and don't have any serious issues with the things mentioned.

Agree with Moonlover. Those living a chilled out life away from the tourist areas don't seem to complain as much as the bar stool brigade.

That's me plus good air quality :cool:.

19 hours ago, connda said:

"There?"  So you admit you don't live here. Live here a decade or so and you'll understand all sides of the coin, although certain expert members will keep pushing the "you're only a guest here" trope.  However, say that about a Thai living in North Hollywood or some other Thai enclave, and working on a 10 year tourist visa while a pro-bono immigration lawyer plies the US legal framework looking for ways to provide that person citizenship, or at least a green card?  Well, tell that person they should "go home if they have any complaints" or insinuate that they are only "a guest" in the US and you'll be called a racist and a nationalist.  Point out the systemic racism and nationalism here and you're called disgruntled.  Sorry - I really dislike hypocrisy and I'll point it out when I see it. 

Well said,

and that's how I see it as well.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, PJ71 said:

You also need to bear in mind that a lot of people that have been here 20, 30, 40 years or more have watched Thailand loose the appeal it once had but have built their lives here, not easy just to up and leave.

Yes, Thailand is a country attracting tourists and expats. What always helped me to cope with Thai's attitude, was sometimes just leaving for 6 or 12 months. And the Thai IOs seemed happy too, that, for once, I spent my money someplace else...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

19 hours ago, bendejo said:

Nothing like a brief stay in, say, Bangladesh, to improve the appreciation.

I had a guy up here last year who is also a cricket coach for women's teams. He said the same about Bangladesh.

However, the country he viewed as the absolute worst, and he has been going all around cricket nations, was UGANDA.

I have no desire to go to any of these places, but for rampant corruption, rudeness and authorities being plain nasty towards him, he said Uganda took the prize.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1