Bright Fireball Spotted in Thailand's Sky

snoop1130

3fee6365ad5e66cd9b09d029e20c7997.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - A social media post purporting to show a bright fireball in the evening sky over Thailand on Monday night has sparked debate among netizens about its identity.

Citing a statement from Jonathan McDowell, a space expert from the United States, the Thai Astronomical Society's Facebook page reported that the blazing object, visible in several central regions, has been identified as a large meteor. 

The association also mentioned that the other possibility is that the fireball was debris from a spacecraft, satellite, or parts of a rocket re-entering the Earth's atmosphere.

Verification of the latter case can be done by checking rocket launch records or re-entry logs, which space agencies keep. However, preliminary checks did not find any such activity in the area.

The International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics at Chulalongkorn University also supports the theory that the object was an iron meteorite or a meteor falling through the atmosphere, appearing green due to magnesium content.

The center explained that the speed at which a meteor enters Earth's atmosphere affects its color; the faster it moves, the more intense the color.

Similarly, the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand elaborated that meteors are caused by the Earth's gravitational pull on rocks and dust from comets or asteroids, leading to combustion in the atmosphere. This process causes the meteor's atoms to emit light at various wavelengths, so we see different colors depending on the chemical composition and surrounding air molecules.

By Naark Rojanasuvan

Source: NNT 2024-03-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That's not a fireball!!

This, is a Fireball (yes, I still remember the lyrics of the closing credits including the "lost" verse), scary innit? ...

Produced/Directed by the same guy that gave us UFO. 

That TV series scared the living hell outta me as a kid.  Was well ahead of its time.  Fairly lame by today's standards but in its day it was good. 

S. H.A. D. O.  Moonbase Alpha

Oh and don't forget the Angels, now they were hot! 

Gerry Anderson.  What a legend. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Gerry Anderson.  What a legend. 

He had a thing for Asian ladies, was that where my love of the almond-eyed sweeties came from? ...

Marina - Stingray.

Tin-Tin (no, not that one!) - Thunderbirds

Harmony Angel - Captain Scarlet.

Venus - Fireball XL-5, was definitely a blue-eyed blonde, just like my first wife.

It's a conspiracy I tell you ... 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

He had a thing for Asian ladies, was that where my love of the almond-eyed sweeties came from? ...

Marina - Stingray.

Tin-Tin (no, not that one!) - Thunderbirds

Harmony Angel - Captain Scarlet.

Venus - Fireball XL-5, was definitely a blue-eyed blonde, just like my first wife. It's a conspiracy I tell you ... 

Oh... Marina,  not bad for a puppet or was she a marionette?  Yes quite the looker. 

Capt Scarlet was like the James Bond of puppetry. 

Did he also do Joe 90?

8 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Did he also do Joe 90?

Yup, and Secret Service (with Stanley Unwin), TerraHawks (Windsor Davies as Sgt. Major Zero) and a bunch of other stuff.

Don't forget Lady Penelope (and her dicey chauffeur "Parker"), modelled on and voiced by Sylvia Anderson, she got in a couple of tie-up situations with The Hood (he of the glowing eyes), and this was all intended for kids (and their daddies) 😛 

• Love It 1

Yes Parker did always seem a bit dodgy.... well he did have a very big nose!  (Don't worry I won't break into Monty Python stories). 

Didn't know Windsor Davis was tied into it all... amazing. 

There were a lot of 'kids' programmes back then that seemed harmless enough. 

Nowadays people bring up all the so called alternative meanings from those and many other programmes. 

Magic Roundabout, Captain Pugwash to name a few more.  Apparently innuendo was rife.  Not that I noticed at the time. 

• Like 1

And The Clangers, don't forget The Clangers.

Told to "tone down the language" after the pilot episode (which didn't have the narration, just the slide-whistle intonation) ...

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Yes Parker did always seem a bit dodgy.... well he did have a very big nose!  (Don't worry I won't break into Monty Python stories). 

Nowadays people bring up all the so called alternative meanings from those and many other programmes. 

Magic Roundabout, Captain Pugwash to name a few more.  Apparently innuendo was rife.  Not that I noticed at the time. 

Roger the cabin boy? Nah.😉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

And The Clangers, don't forget The Clangers.

Told to "tone down the language" after the pilot episode (which didn't have the narration, just the slide-whistle intonation) ...

Stop it you're beginning to make me feel my age...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Stop it you're beginning to make me feel my age...

Remember them appearing in Dr.Who?

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

This, is a Fireball (yes, I still remember the lyrics of the closing credits including the "lost" verse), scary innit? ...

Ahead of it's time. 

13 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Wherever did you get the idea that "The Magic Roundabout" was a children's programme?

It was a TV treatment of contemporary major philosophical theory, broken into easily digestible 5 minutes pieces, each a work capable of standing on it's merits alone, and screened (in the UK at least) at peak viewing time ,before the 6pm news bulletin.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

Wherever did you get the idea that "The Magic Roundabout" was a children's programme?

It was a TV treatment of contemporary major philosophical theory, broken into easily digestible 5 minutes pieces, each a work capable of standard alone, and screened at peak viewing time (before the 6pm news bulletin.

Time for bed, said Zebedee

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The lost, unscreened episode: -

`Hello children. It s a quarter to six. Time today. for Magic Roundabout...` `I wonder where Florence is?` ,said Dougal. `I m over here.` ,said Florence. `Hello, Florence.` ,said Dougal. `Hello, Dougal.` ,said Florence. `Boing!` `Hello, Florence and Dougal.` ,said Zebadee. `Hello, Zebadee.` ,said Dougal and Florence. `Hello, Zebadee, Florence and Dougal.` ,said Dillon. `Hello, Dillon.` ,said Zebadee, Florence and Dougal. `I say,` ,said Dillon. `What?` ,said Dougal. `Booinngg!` `Pardon?` ,said Zebadee. `Nothing.` ,Said Dougal. `I wasn't talking to you.` ,said Zebadee. `Oh.` ,Said Dougal. `Dillon.` ,said Dougal. `Yes.` ,said Dillon. `I wonder if Florence is a virgin?` `Drops 'em for certain.` ,said Dillon. `Booinngg!` `That s right enough.` ,said Zebadee. `How do you know?` ,said Dillon. `Booinngg!` `To my knowledge half of Toytown knows of her hori- zontal pleasures. Let s face it, Noddy's the biggest ram round here and he reckons he's scored.` ,said Zebadee. `I can hear you.` ,said Florence. `It s not true. Noddy and I are just good friends.` `Rubbish` ,said Dougal. `It s all over the canteen. Anyone knows about you, you brazen hussy.` `You lousy old flea-bag` ,said Florence. `Call yourself a dog? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!.` `Booinngg!!` `Now look here` ,said Zebadee. `Things are getting out of hand. Let's get back to the story-line!.` `It's a crummy story anyway` ,said Dillon stubbornly. `Booinngg!` `No, it's not` ,said Zebadee commandingly. `Who cares?` ,said Dillon dejectedly. `Well, I like it` ,said Florence, hopefully. `Ihat's obvious!` ,said everybody, cockily. `Booinngg!` `Now look` ,said Zebadee, `let's try and get it together.` `Well, I'm not working for that fat-bat any more` ,said Dougal. `I'm off to join the Flowerpot men.` `Good riddance` ,said Florence. `Knickers!` ,said Dougal. `Ihat's no way to talk to a lady` ,said Dillon (knowing he's on to a good thing). `Some lady!` ,said Dougal. `Oh, piss off` ,said Dillon. And Dougal did so, all over Florence. `Thank you for sticking up for me` ,said Florence. `Oh, it's nothing, really` ,said Dillon. `You know I've fancied you for a long time` ,said Florence. `I've fancied you too` ,said Dillon. `Where do we go from here?` ,said Florence. `Booinngg!!!`

• Haha 1

Winsor Davis. One of life's Gentlemen. 

He made me a pot of tea when I was cleaning the windows of his house, and sat in his garden with me, while we chatted. I didn't realize who it was at the time, until I checked my books.