Swiss retiree’s brutal attack on Thai woman sparks outcry in Trang

6 minutes ago, Dolf said:

10 years jail

3 months jail for the shopping centre guy

Wow, you must be an expert in Thai law and penal code, and have all the relevant facts and information of both those cases to have come up with those sentences.
Is it speculation? Is it it jumping to conclusions? You seem to be the expert on that, but I’d say you’re definitely jumping the gun there.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, rudi49jr said:

Wow, you must be an expert in Thai law and penal code, and have all the relevant facts and information of both those cases to have come up with those sentences.
Is it speculation? Is it it jumping to conclusions? You seem to be the expert on that, but I’d say you’re definitely jumping the gun there.

Nothing to do with Thai law. Just common sense if the stories stack up. Hit and run killers get treated harshly by western judges. If you leave the scene you get more jail.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

you know you always at fault in thailand. 

she must be a sweet lady, harmless, and this man brutally attack her with no reason at all, hahahahaha. sure....

• Confused 8

15 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

you know you always at fault in thailand. 

she must be a sweet lady, harmless, and this man brutally attack her with no reason at all, hahahahaha. sure....

What reason would justify it ?    Shove your ha ha's

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Respect is in short supply in Thailand.

They are very passively disrespectful in general. 

Well, I've never beaten up anyone, but we don't have to make this about male and female.

Women are not special creatures.

And the guy himself is old too.

I am sure a lynch party is on it's way.

Women are special creatures   on the battlefield dying soldiers don't cry out for their dads 

• Confused 6

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

How far away from the pumps do you park, are you afraid the pump might attack you! 

Good point! I should have mentioned that my wife was driving and she only passed her test a couple of years ago and is creditably "safe" in her driving and parking!

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, sambum said:

"......noticed it with mostly older Thais"

My (Thai) wife and I pulled up beside the pump at a petrol/gas station a few months ago and while we were waiting for the pump attendant to arrive, a middle aged/elderly Thai lady pulled up on her motor bike in between our car and the pump, and glared at me as if daring me to say something. When the attendant was approaching, she told him how much petrol/gas she needed and once again glared at me again. Now, I'm an even tempered guy and as I'm retired I tend to let people who are in a rush just get on with it - especially when driving! An old pal of mine used to say "I'd rather get there 5 minutes late than not get there at all!" 

However, in this instance, a person with a shorter fuse may well have caused a fuss, and I can just see the headline now "Elderly farang causes chaos at petrol station" Sometimes there are 2 sides to the story, but as farangs are "Aliens", the local will always get believed in preference to the farang - especially if there are no witnesses.

And I am not excusing these latest attacks on women by Swiss men - far from it, but just because one of the parties happens to be a woman doesn't necessarily mean that she is the "hard done by" victim!

Confused emoticon! Why? Should I have given her a good hiding?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

So you condone beating a woman because of an exchange of words ? 
words fail me.

Who said that? 

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A shocking incident at a shopping mall in the city of Trang on March 5 left a 58 year old Thai woman, Natchanan Kikkham, with severe injuries after a violent altercation with a 60 year old Swiss national, Dieter Matthias Straumann. 25 year old Natchanan’s son, Kritpong Kikkham, is resolute in seeking justice for his mother, who is now hospitalised with a prognosis of at least one month’s recovery.

The confrontation began when Natchanan was shopping and accidentally bumped into Straumann, leading to a heated exchange. Straumann, who has been living in Thailand on a retirement visa, reportedly attacked Natchanan without provocation, striking her multiple times and then fleeing the scene. Witnesses report Natchanan threw a water bottle in retaliation, after which Straumann returned, choking and beating her further, even slamming her head against the floor.

Straumann was subsequently detained by local police for questioning but remained tight-lipped throughout the interrogation. His recent passport renewal on October 28, 2023, and the upcoming visa expiration on November 14, 2024, indicate his legal status in the country. The police have prepared to charge him with serious assault due to the gravity of Natchanan’s injuries, which include a broken nose and chest trauma, rendering her unable to breathe properly.

Kritpong, who along with relatives has been appealing for fairness at the Trang Hospital, recounted his mother’s harrowing experience, emphasizing the unprovoked nature of the attack. Multiple witnesses within the mall have come forward, ready to testify on Natchanan’s behalf. The police, after a preliminary medical report, are consolidating evidence for Straumann’s potential prosecution.

Straumann’s only response to the police’s announcement of the impending legal action was a terse, “Can not, I will go home. Don’t take photo me.” The relatives of the victim have affirmed their commitment to pursue the case to the fullest extent, underscoring the severity of the assault and the need for justice, reported KhaoSod.

Amidst ongoing controversy, Swiss citizen Urs Fehr’s visa status was reviewed by immigration authorities due to his involvement in a Phuket assault case. Concurrently, inquiries were made into his business operations and foundation.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

I've run across the Swiss three times since I arrived here. The condo where I used to stay had a Swiss family, man wife and child, all were as mad as hatters and used to cause pandemonium around the condo. Even the little girl who was about three. Then the village I moved to had a Swiss guy married to a Thai, who every time he had a couple of beers, wanted to fight the world. He ended up in a road accident in which he killed a man and his wife on a motorbike and sidecar. At the house where I live now, I heard a commotion on the track outside. On investigating I saw a Swiss guy who lives across the way running alongside a builder's truck shouting threats and obscenities and kicking the side of the truck! The same guy used to drive like someone possessed, leaving a huge cloud of dust behind him which of course all settled across my property. He had several ups and downs with neighbours, but has now left. Now these two recent reports. Are they trying to take top spot from us Brits?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1