Illegal migrant labour and sex work challenge Thailand’s tourism

webfact

22 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

They are taking jobs and income away from Thais

Because the Thais are useless?

Competition is biatch. Time to tighten the monopolies instead of improving in order to compete.

Still no mention of the problem with lynch mobs?

I just can't wrap my head around how people can get worked up into a lynch mob frenzie like that.

What kind of short circuit wiring must one have for that to even be a possibility?

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I know exactly what you said. You said I was wrong and then went on talking about Filipinos.

You also say there has been a massive increase in illegal employment despite visas becoming easier.

That is possible when people don't have the time nor means to wait when they are running from conflict as is very possible in the case of the Burmese.

Can you support your claims of this huge increase in illegal workers with links and facts?

It would be better instead of the single word, "Wrong!!"

I don't need to slow down with anything and my reading skills are fine.

Mate - you definitely need to take a chill pill - quite a few of them.

1. It is not about you.

2. It is not about you.

etc etc etc etc.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Well, this is what Thanet had to say:-

Thanet believes that the majority of operators would prefer to legally employ local workers and foreign workers with work permits if the process were simpler, to avoid potential penalties. However, the current immigration process is complicated and inconvenient, causing some operators to resort to illegal recruitment.

“With our tourism industry suffering a severe domestic labour shortage following the pandemic, the government should relax regulations regarding the employment of foreign workers. We still need them to sustain our industry.”

It kind of flows in the opposite direction to what you are saying.

It flows in exactly the same direction - you missed it again.

Yes there are many reasons why illegal employment has increased in Thailand and the ones you liosted are definitely a factor. But as I said, the relaxation of Visa rules has been the main contribution to the increase in their numbers - over and above the 'normal' numbers that have occurred in Thailand.  Another one is that tourism has increased in Thailand and there are more jobs than this time last year. And many more. But the Visa relaxation has caused a lot of problems. I know a guy that lives in Phuket (Rawai) - he has nothing but bad news about all the illegals working there - mainly Russians/Ukrainians). It is the same everywhere - not Russians/Ukrainians - they seem to be Phuket and Hua Hin mainly, but there are many others and the other tyoruist locations.  Out on the farms in Isaan they are not even seen. 

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, BerndD said:

WRONG? Nothing is wrong! But together with the new visa-rules it´s more worst now!

I have no idea if you are agreeing or disagreeing with my points. 

Both are Ok but maybe try again - google translate? 

9 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Mate - you definitely need to take a chill pill - quite a few of them.

1. It is not about you.

2. It is not about you.

etc etc etc etc.

Gibberish.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

It flows in exactly the same direction - you missed it again.

Yes there are many reasons why illegal employment has increased in Thailand and the ones you liosted are definitely a factor. But as I said, the relaxation of Visa rules has been the main contribution to the increase in their numbers - over and above the 'normal' numbers that have occurred in Thailand.  Another one is that tourism has increased in Thailand and there are more jobs than this time last year. And many more. But the Visa relaxation has caused a lot of problems. I know a guy that lives in Phuket (Rawai) - he has nothing but bad news about all the illegals working there - mainly Russians/Ukrainians). It is the same everywhere - not Russians/Ukrainians - they seem to be Phuket and Hua Hin mainly, but there are many others and the other tyoruist locations.  Out on the farms in Isaan they are not even seen. 

More Gibberish.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Because the Thais are useless?

Competition is biatch. Time to tighten the monopolies instead of improving in order to compete.

Irrelevant - illegal workers have always been in Thailand - ebbs and flows with the seasons and economy.

My point/s being that the relaxation of the Visa rules (easier, free, longer) has had a huge impact on the numbers.

(Lackey) - Hey Boss - let's allow Russians to stay up to 90 days Visa free - they will spend more money - what could possibly go wrong 🙂 

(Boss) - Hold my Hong Thong - lets add a few more countries to that list.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Out on the farms in Isaan they are not even seen. 

No, What is seen up here on the farms are illegal Indian moneylenders working for the Chinese/Thai going around daily pressuring for interest on loans that should never have been given in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

No, What is seen up here on the farms are illegal Indian moneylenders working for the Chinese/Thai going around daily pressuring for interest on loans that should never have been given in the first place.

Yes indeed - seems to be a lot of that going on lately.  Probably many of those Indian 'enforcers' are here under the Visa free program they have until May 2024.   People became so desperate that they resorted to illegal money lenders - Covid caused a lot more problems than directly health related ones.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Wrong.  That has been the case for a long time - no dispute.  There has been a lot of legals and illegals in the past.

BUT since they changed the Visa rules - free easier and longer - a lot more people are in Thailand working illegally. This issue with the Philippinos is only one group - there are many more across a lot of industries.   

it has  nothing to do..for smaller companys are to expensive and difficult to obtain workpremits.

neverless thailand inthe service and construction ..will come to standstill withiut foreign labour,legal,or illegal

we have free a workplace for cleaninglady ( legal incl social sec) - no one in 6 month intrested

and the only working since 7 years !!!! is a cambodian ,and in 7 years there was more than 10!! of thais who come and go

On 3/7/2024 at 2:00 PM, mokwit said:

I am kinda curious what the Thais who used to do those jobs are doing for money now - they can't all be "little ghosts" making more money in Korea.

The impression I get in lower Sukhumvit is that there has been a decision by the business  to staff it with non Thais. This, rather than they can't get Thais - although that said, I am also hearing of difficulty getting Thai staff.

If you mean they're hiring Burmese then it's because the Burmese can get low cost visas and work permits - they dont even need an employer. They also have a great work ethic and don't spit their dummies out if you pull them up on something. And they do it all with a smile. And they're honest. And reliable. Why hire a Thai when the Burmese do it better and with less hassle?

Edited by Jackbenimble

I was intrigued by the observation that illegal workers involved in the tourist industry particularly in Pattaya have a greater command of English than local workers - this reflects on the abysmal education system provided by the government with regard to English proficiency and may indicate that the government is happy that the  general public have poor language skills which eases their job in saving money and thus precipitates an obediant population

I unwisely asked an open question on this forum on this subject. I have lived , happily, in Thailand for many years with either a work visa  or retirement visa. I always followed the rules of my host country ever mindful that I am NOT Thai but a guest living in this country. in my open question  I ask how certain ladies from a certain Western country obtained visas to work in GoGo bars in a certain city on a certain well known street. I wondered what their visa requirement were. With in minutes or making my posting I received a reply that any person capable of critical thinking would immediately recognize as a veiled threat. "You had better mind your own business etc etc".

The whole episode gave me pause and I recalled the advice that I have given others who contemplate becoming expats and living abroad yet failed to follow myself; Thailand is a sovereign nation and as such, mades and enforce their own laws as they see fit. They don't need or want others telling them how they do things in their respective countries. If you intent to live here, or any country not your own you need for follow a few general rules. 

1) Don't criticize your new country of residence to include the police, immigrations, government, or the Royal Family.

2) Never Criticize a Thai business in writing online, especially hotels, restaurants or airlines no matter what the forum including Trip Advisor.

3) You must learn about the culture and customs in your new country of residence and respect the same. You do not have to ADOPT the culture but you MUST ADAPT to the culture.

4) Unless it is serious and affects you directly, keep your head down and you mouth shut.

5) Try to learn the language and fit in as best you can and not be an ass#ole.

6) STAY OUT OF POLITICS IN YOU HOST COUNTRY.

A line from the old movie, "Wizard Of Oz" comes to mind, "You aren't in Kansas anymore Dorothy". 

There are often big money and powerful business interest behind some of these more egregious offenders of immigrations "oddities" if not political connections and maybe foreign organized crime interest. "If it doesn't affect you then it isn't your business. " I am thankful for the anonymity of afforded by the internet and Asean Now. I will try to follow my own advice so I won't receive any more veiled or unveiled threats for asking questions. I am a happy Expat and love living here.

well, that should be easy ! … I would suggest, to look into :

- all the music bands, a lot of them with Flipper accent

- the endless number of Indian restaurants (where, despite a big number of Indian tourists, there are so many devout of customers that an inquiry about the -real- business model might be interesting…)

- however, I assume, all the Indian staff in the big Indian discotheques on Walking Street has a work permit😉

On 3/7/2024 at 4:39 PM, Mywayboy said:

I understood Prostitution in The Kingdom is illegal.

Maybe I misunderstood hmmmm !!!

But there is no prostitution in Thailand, so legality doesn't come into it.