'Dehumifier' or 'Dry' selction on aircon.

rexpotter

21 hours ago, Brick Top said:

I am now wondering if my unit as a fault were in Dry mode the temperature settings cant be adjusted ?.

Normal on my York aircon.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm no expert but I'm sure the dehumidifier will create heat to remove moisture. 

Over the many years I've worked on a few projects for my company stacking offshore drilling rigs. Dehumidifiers are used in different areas of the rig, accommodation, switchgear rooms etc., these areas are always hotter, but a very dry heat. 

Not sure if you'd like to live in a hotter home/condo. 

That's it. With DH you have a hot compressor running inside your house. Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, johng said:

Normal on my York aircon.

Also normal on my Carrier, good point about having a DH in the room, its another hot compressor feeding heat into the room.

15 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Also normal on my Carrier, good point about having a DH in the room, its another hot compressor feeding heat into the room.

And articles that support buying one are written by the Appliance Companies to sell more crap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Does it say why? 

Will it damage the AC unit? 

or 

Is it bad for your health? 

Definitely it can dry the throat, i had to buy a humidifier a few years ago. You need some moisture in the air

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Definitely it can dry the throat, i had to buy a humidifier a few years ago. You need some moisture in the air

Do they even sell those in this country?

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Does it say why? 

Will it damage the AC unit? 

or 

Is it bad for your health? 

Yep, it'll dry you out too much and you'll wake up with a mouth tasting like a ferret slept in it. Only ever have my aircon set to 29, 28 at the lowest, which is enough to get the humidity down to around 55-60% and zap excessive heat. The actual temp coming out of the thing is super-low.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Yep, it'll dry you out too much and you'll wake up with a mouth tasting like a ferret slept in it. Only ever have my aircon set to 29, 28 at the lowest, which is enough to get the humidity down to around 55-60% and zap excessive heat. The actual temp coming out of the thing is super-low.

For a while i was waking up and my tongue was like Gandhi's flipflop, humidifier fixed that

• Like 1

In a pool hall, we'll aim for about 55% rel humidity. Start going below 50% and it pulls too much water out of the pool, makes people feel rough and overburdens the equipment. The hot, compressed gas coming out the compressor for the drying process exacerbates the above issue. 

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i tried my new TCL on Dry mode and it set the temperature at 23⁰ no change in fan which was set on low, 1 bar. From what I've read dry mode only useful when temperature not hot but high humidity, which means not that useful for Thailand so i doubt I'll use it again

Correction it set at 26⁰, i had 23⁰ on the brain

disadvantage of separate dehumidifier is that the water collection needs to be emptied whereas the aircon is plumbed in 

also the hot site of the dehumidifier is in the same room, producing heat 

But for the air conditioner to be able to be run cheaper in 'dry' mode vs full on cooling, the compressor would have to be invertor type that can 'throttle down' and run slowly right? or does the dry mode in non-invertor aircon just turns on and off like you're setting the temperature to not too cold?

On 3/11/2024 at 4:45 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Ive  found this due to poor  drainage  pipes on them, I re  installed  2  of  mine with new drain pipes and they have never  dripped  since, the third  I didnt do as the drain was in the  floor and I suspect has a  dip in  it where water sits  and  pools. This  one  fills  up in the drain tray and pipe with a  clear  jelly which I wash out every 5  months I also stick a wet vac  on the pipe to suck the sludge  out then pour  bleach down it. I bought aircons all new with an easily removal drain tray as it was a  big problem before. If they made the drain trays with a  wider  drain hole  and a  wider  drain pipe it would help a  lot.

Many thanks for that. Just as I suspected, a bit of "dicky" Thai plumbing work that is the cause not the machine, although as you say they could be a bit better designed.