Biz class flights to UK

47 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry but you are wrong. I have flown EK to Dubai and to the UK many many times in all three classes and they are different menus, 100%. 

Just to check in case things have changed since I last flew I just picked a random flight - EK 372 - departing in the next few days, and checked the economy and business class menus on that flight. As I said, completely different. Sorry but you are completely wrong.

1st and Business share some items but 1st has a lot more choice, but economy and business are completely different.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 13.12.49.png

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 13.13.57.png

Obviously they had run out of food when I flew with them and just gave me the economy meal.

• Confused 1

I paid a touch under 110k baht a couple of weeks ago for a return J class trip to LHR on Gulf Air for the beginning of April. They have the Apex suites which is probably now the best J class hard product available. This will be my first time with them so I can't tell you exactly how good they are yet.

I've flown Malaysian / Etihad / Qatar / Emirates / BA on the same journey previously and the Gulf Air flight stood out in terms of cost.

• Like 1

300?! I hope they chuck in a pretty for that! I’d go 100 but it’d have to be direct. None of this up and down twice lark. That is akin to a long road trip and changing gears all day. Go auto and go direct every time. Emrats is of course good, bar the shopping mall visit, but I’d go EVA biz. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I can recommend first class on EVA Taipei-Bangkok-LHR.

They don't have first class.  Business is called "Royal Laurel Class" and whilst it is good it is not first class.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Turkish is very good. Prices are usually competitive. Change in Istanbul. Think that they might fly Man - Ist direct? Food excellent. Lounge in IST best that I've been in. Two disadvantages: (1) 2-2-2 configuration. If flying alone or odd number, suggest booking middle row as direct aisle access (2) on-board entertainment so-so.

Agree with other poster: Oman very good also.

I am a Gold member with Qatar and in February came back in business, although not Q suites.

I can see they are now cutting corners, but NOT PRICES, in this business class.

The amenity bag was smaller, with less in it, and wasn't that much better than the economy.

Another first was they came back to me on the MAN-BKK leg and told me I couldn't have the surf and turf starter, as they didn't have enough, and would I be prepared to accept Arab Mezes. The chocolates are hit and miss, and the bathrooms in business used to have far better gels, hygiene kits etc

There wasn't the attention given in standard business as in Q suites, the plane was late departure from Manchester (unusual) and we were held on a stairway for over 20 minutes before boarding.

By this time Economy had joined the scrum, the ground staff couldn't differentiate on the stair landing, it was like a Y-shaped approach, there was supposedly a front stairway for business and a rear for economy, but they merged to one as you went in the final lane to board, so we gave up and just stood in the queue and boarded.

The flight was packed and the crew was flustered.

I go again in May and I am going A380 BKK-DOH and DOH-BKK legs. economy at the front, and Business DOH-MAN and MAN-DOH.(Q suites)

At the front economy section in row 40 on the A380 I am happy enough.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Also referred to a Q suites if you want to be pedantic, do you want to to sent you the emails confirming the booking and seat reservations? I just looked them up, all meals were down as Asian Vegetarian but they came up with sticks of carrots and not much else.

No... but at least the ambiguity of your initial comment has been clarified. 

So, you have paid for a Business Class Seat on a flight which offered the Q-Suites Business Class Cabin... 

You were charged £62 extra each leg (4 legs per flight with flights operating via Doha)... so you were charged a total of £248 to select your seats.....

Apologies for being pedantic - I'm a frequent flyer with Gold Tier membership with Qatar Airways (Silver with Emirates)...  neither Airline has ever charged me for seat selection in Business Class (last flight less than 1 month ago)... 

Now that the confusion / ambiguity has been removed - I'm guessing the ticketed class of your Business Class seating was the heavily discounted promo-fair such as Business lite... (of which there are very few seats available - securing these low fare business seats is like winning the lottery !!).

I do agree without - After you have paid for seat selection and they change air-craft, they should offer a refund unless the air-craft seating is exactly the same (i.e. Seat 10A for seat 10A front row bulk head / window seat etc).... 

I get free seat selection but find Qatar Airways terrible for changing the plane without notice, then when checking a few days before the flight I see that the air-craft type (i.e. A350 to B787 etc) and see that my exit-row, comfort+ seat has been lost and I'm now middle seat at the back of the plane... 

With ANY Qatar Airways flight - I'd recommend always double checking your seat selection, because this airline is terrible for customer notifications. 

Last year - Qatar Airways also changed my onward flight time (same number just changed the time by 7 hours) -  meaning I had a 9 hour layover instead of a 2 hour layover.... Luckily I noticed 3 days in advance and was able to book a 'sleep-pod' (airport hotel was full) otherwise I'd have been shattered with nowhere to catch some ZZZ's at 2am... 

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2024 at 1:47 PM, PJ71 said:

Looking at Biz class flights for 2 pax to either Manchester / Birmingham or LHR, best i've found so far is about 280-300K baht with decent airlines, Emirates / Qatar etc.

Anyone any recent recommendations or ones to avoid?

EVA is my hands-down favourite for all round quality of offering, although these days it's too much if I'm paying. Premium Eco is pretty good, too (but getting very expensive).

Of the Star Alliance offerings to LHR TG comes next - as long as again I'm not paying full fare. ROP Gold status upgrades / mileage upgrades for me. I'd never pay full-fare biz on TG though: just came back from UK and while flight out was on a new 777 (pretty nice), flight back was on a very tired 777. No USB charging points or little cubby holes to store things.

Any airline which splits biz into two sections (which is most of them) you want to be in the front section because you'll get better pre-departure service for sure. Rear section often has the whole plane boarding through it, which makes it very hard for cabin crew to offer much service (which they probably like!)

• Like 2

Just been on a quick return to UK, LHR...1 week  with Thai Airways, business, 130.000 baht, excellent, from the lounges to the service and food on the plane. Have improved a lot since pre covid, can't be bothered with a stopover just want to get there..and back!!

Edited by Pappap
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 3:22 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And then you mention that the Business Class food with Qatar Airways is worse than their economy food ?....   quite an inaccurate comment.

Some members mistakenly think that posting inaccurate garbage is one of the rules here!

On 3/10/2024 at 3:02 PM, proton said:

Q class as in business class

There is no Q class but Q Suite which is business. It is not on all flights. Fares for Q suite tend to be higher these days.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... but at least the ambiguity of your initial comment has been clarified. 

So, you have paid for a Business Class Seat on a flight which offered the Q-Suites Business Class Cabin... 

You were charged £62 extra each leg (4 legs per flight with flights operating via Doha)... so you were charged a total of £248 to select your seats.....

Apologies for being pedantic - I'm a frequent flyer with Gold Tier membership with Qatar Airways (Silver with Emirates)...  neither Airline has ever charged me for seat selection in Business Class (last flight less than 1 month ago)... 

Now that the confusion / ambiguity has been removed - I'm guessing the ticketed class of your Business Class seating was the heavily discounted promo-fair such as Business lite... (of which there are very few seats available - securing these low fare business seats is like winning the lottery !!).

I do agree without - After you have paid for seat selection and they change air-craft, they should offer a refund unless the air-craft seating is exactly the same (i.e. Seat 10A for seat 10A front row bulk head / window seat etc).... 

I get free seat selection but find Qatar Airways terrible for changing the plane without notice, then when checking a few days before the flight I see that the air-craft type (i.e. A350 to B787 etc) and see that my exit-row, comfort+ seat has been lost and I'm now middle seat at the back of the plane... 

With ANY Qatar Airways flight - I'd recommend always double checking your seat selection, because this airline is terrible for customer notifications. 

Last year - Qatar Airways also changed my onward flight time (same number just changed the time by 7 hours) -  meaning I had a 9 hour layover instead of a 2 hour layover.... Luckily I noticed 3 days in advance and was able to book a 'sleep-pod' (airport hotel was full) otherwise I'd have been shattered with nowhere to catch some ZZZ's at 2am... 

Seems you havent flown QR for a while. Yes, they now charge for seat selection since June last year. Not just in business lite.

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Seems you havent flown QR for a while. Yes, they now charge for seat selection since June last year. Not just in business lite.

Just to disprove your argument I have just looked at Business Class (Q Suite) for July BKK-LHR!! 82515 THB

Benefits and fees per adult passenger

Flexibility to make 2 changes 

Cancellation within 24hrs of booking without fees 

Checked baggage: 40 kg 

Hand baggage: 2 pieces, 15 kg total

Seat selection included

Lounge access included

4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Anyone here tried Air India?

Had a friend of mine fly with them once and swore never again. Dirty planes and lousy food.

Mind you I did book with them once and then they changed a timing from India to Heathrow which made it impossible to make the connection. Got my money back from the agent within a couple of months!

1 hour ago, worrab said:

Just to disprove your argument I have just looked at Business Class (Q Suite) for July BKK-LHR!! 82515 THB

Benefits and fees per adult passenger

Flexibility to make 2 changes 

Cancellation within 24hrs of booking without fees 

Checked baggage: 40 kg 

Hand baggage: 2 pieces, 15 kg total

Seat selection included

Lounge access included

You're wrong. The two lowest fare business class tickets - Business Lite and Business Classic both charge for seat selection. Only Business Comfort and Business Elite give it you for free.

If someone comes here and says they flew Qatar business recently and paid £62 per leg for seat selection why would anything think they would be lying? It beggars belief, and now you look silly.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 19.37.03.png

Edited by josephbloggs

3 hours ago, Pappap said:

Thai Airways, business, 130.000 baht, excellent, from the lounges to the service and food on the plane. Have improved a lot since pre covid,

Yes, much improved. At LHR all the Star Alliance lounges are now open. IMHO United is the best, followed by Lufthansa, then SQ and Air Canada a distant also-ran.

Top tip in BKK if flying biz Star Alliance is to use the SQ lounge, or the EVA one (depending which gate your, say, TG flight is leaving from and how much time you have). SQ now open to 11 pm. If flying BKK-LHR on the daytime TG flight, the SQ lounge is absolutely the best choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Letseng said:

Seems so does it ?...  I flew them less than a month ago... 

But yes, once I'd identified exactly what Proton meant by Q Class it was easier to work out what he was getting at.

One of the issues with this forum is that when a poster makes a vague comment places little effort in clarifying the fallout and removing the ambiguity its takes a little back and forth to get to the bottom of what may initially be thought of as a mistake or an assumption. 

So..  the mistake was clearly mine - as I highlighted after further info was given.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And... as josephbloggs highlighed, QR now charge for seat selection for Business Lite and Classic.....  Cheeky feckers...  The Ryan Air mentality is filtering through all business these days.

It seems we're at the stage where the customer is most definitely last, even when paying a premium - insulting really. 

The Business seat selection for a fee is really very cheeky IMO, in all classes....   its just wrong IMO... pay for a ticket, then pay to choose where you'd prefer to sit. 

The Paying to use the toilet 'ryan air' floated is getting closer to becoming a reality. 

In the business class section - they are ripping off couples who want the 'honey moon' seats... (i.e. the two middle seats which are directly next to each other)...  

Wife and I just took a couple of those seats a couple of weeks ago (with Thai Airways).... I put the divider up and tried to tune out her snoring !!! 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seems so does it ?...  I flew them less than a month ago... 

But yes, once I'd identified exactly what Proton meant by Q Class it was easier to work out what he was getting at.

One of the issues with this forum is that when a poster makes a vague comment places little effort in clarifying the fallout and removing the ambiguity its takes a little back and forth to get to the bottom of what may initially be thought of as a mistake or an assumption. 

Give it a rest Dicky....

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

You're wrong. The two lowest fare business class tickets - Business Lite and Business Classic both charge for seat selection. Only Business Comfort and Business Elite give it you for free.

Agreed, although eventually you get free seat selection on these lower fare type tickets once online check in opens.  Similar on Emirates lowest fare type despite what some posters claim.  Without going back to double check I think I've also seen it with both Finnair and Air France "Light" fares recently.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have just returned to Manchester from Bangkok via Dubai one way (due to bereavement) Emirates business class middle of last month. 72,000 baht. Emirates crew and flight, first-class experience, on the big bird (A380-800)

Just booked going back to Thailand middle of next month, same plane but this time trying cattle class!!😉due to pricing, business class 3,200 pounds and cattle class!! 650 pounds. Looking forward to seeing what cattle class! has to offer.

16 hours ago, Kinnock said:

For Manchester, Lufthansa is good (if not on strike).  Business to Germany, then a short economy flight to UK.  

The best 2 flights I’ve taken lately have been with Swiss Air. Absolutely fantastic. I was in business, great service, best meals and drinks I  ever had on a flight, and lay flat . My choice now. I fly via Zurich. Classy airport and services.  Gave up on Emirates since they put older 777s and business was not worth the money. Meals also not as before. Shame, as the flight times suited me perfectly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slappy said:

I have just returned to Manchester from Bangkok via Dubai one way (due to bereavement) Emirates business class middle of last month. 72,000 baht. Emirates crew and flight, first-class experience, on the big bird (A380-800)

Just booked going back to Thailand middle of next month, same plane but this time trying cattle class!!😉due to pricing, business class 3,200 pounds and cattle class!! 650 pounds. Looking forward to seeing what cattle class! has to offer.

Good rate anyway. 

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If someone comes here and says they flew Qatar business recently and paid £62 per leg for seat selection why would anything think they would be lying? It beggars belief, and now you look silly.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 19.37.03.png

I stand corrected. The page did not display the cheapest options so they must have sold them. I was using the Thai pages so was quoted in THB.
I was going to apologise for my error until you said that now I look silly!