'A perfect mess': Thailand's proposed cannabis crackdown steeped in political games

webfact

It seems difficult to wind this back both on retail and production.

I expect some tightening of licensing & regulations may be implemented. 
These might, coincidentally, limit the licenses to, ahem, “approved”, producers and vendors to reap the benefits. 

For sure, there’s been foreign companies investing heavily in this space, and setting up production facilities here for export back to US/Canada. It would be disastrous for foreign investor confidence and possibly lead to legal actions if they fully retrace to the previous laws.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, realfunster said:

and setting up production facilities here for export back to US/Canada

I think it is illegal to import cannabis into any state in the U.S. States have very strict seed-to-sale rules/laws.

Not sure about Canada? Maybe export is OK for "Scientific" purposes.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I think it is illegal to import cannabis into any state in the U.S. States have very strict seed-to-sale rules/laws.

Not sure about Canada? Maybe export is OK for "Scientific" purposes.

extremely difficult to import cannabis into canada. even under legal avenues.

• Like 1

For a country that relies and cares so much about tourism, marijuana opens up a lot more of it, way more than taking a small tax of alcohol. Taking 300 baht off alcohol or allow alcohol sales in the middle of the day is not going to change really anyone's mind about where they travel, but open up a whole new industry in a region of the world where these things can come to the death penalty, and you'll get a whole lot of new tourists.

We have yet to see mass casualties, road conditions go any worse, mass chaos throughout the country. You just need better regulation. It not need be an all or nothing enterprise. 

Then again, this is Thailand. When we westerners attach our mindset with those of the Thai people, we get lost in the whole system.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And Anutin said it was going to be for medicinal use only... and regulated

Give a Thai an inch they'll take a mile.

I have recently researched the legal framework with colleagues, and regardless of what Anutin says he did legalise recreational cannabis use. (See Clause 1(3) in the attached Notification)

He had a policy without a plan. Our recommendation is that if they want to recriminalize possession adopt the Netherlands model. You cannot put the genie back into the bottle!    

20220208 Notifcation Nac 5 2565.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

From simple observation sir.

Appears that all pick up drivers smoke for example. All the people in the vicinity of where I stay smoke. And there are no doctors amongst them. All the blue collar workers, they all, I mean all have a cigarette on their lips while working. Blue collar workers, you might understand, possess a lower level of formal education.

Nobody, simply nobody at the Bangkok hospital smoke as another example. Just about all workers in there have a higher level of education. Go see for yourself. Walk around the hospital, no ashtrays outside of the hospital, no cigarette butts on the ground. In the streets close by, no smokers, as well, as much as I could see while walking around each time I go there.

The lawyer i go see for my visa, no ashtrays or cigarette butts outside his office. All of his staff has a higher level of education.

Anything else that you would like me to educate you on?

Are you not educated enough to be able to do ,your own visa application?

Or is that below you?

No smoking inside a hospital?

I wonder what is next?

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, drrobert said:

I have recently researched the legal framework with colleagues, and regardless of what Anutin says he did legalise recreational cannabis use. (See Clause 1(3) in the attached Notification)

He had a policy without a plan. Our recommendation is that if they want to recriminalize possession adopt the Netherlands model. You cannot put the genie back into the bottle!    

20220208 Notifcation Nac 5 2565.pdf 62.5 kB · 0 downloads

I hope that finally put an end to the endless whinging from some on here " but but but Anuyin said"  etc etc

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

From simple observation sir.

Appears that all pick up drivers smoke for example. All the people in the vicinity of where I stay smoke. And there are no doctors amongst them. All the blue collar workers, they all, I mean all have a cigarette on their lips while working. Blue collar workers, you might understand, possess a lower level of formal education.

Nobody, simply nobody at the Bangkok hospital smoke as another example. Just about all workers in there have a higher level of education. Go see for yourself. Walk around the hospital, no ashtrays outside of the hospital, no cigarette butts on the ground. In the streets close by, no smokers, as well, as much as I could see while walking around each time I go there.

The lawyer i go see for my visa, no ashtrays or cigarette butts outside his office. All of his staff has a higher level of education.

Anything else that you would like me to educate you on?

Of course your right about tobacco use in the less educated, even Stevie Wonder could see that. The mistake you made was the cannabis and tobacco reference 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

PLenty of relatively  low educated people work in hospitals, they are not all doctors,  did you not know that ?  the reason hospitals don't have ashtrays is because smoking is not allowed on the premises, therefore ashtrays are not required,   now you have been educated

All pick up drivers smoke do they?  what a ridiculous statement.   Although, as somebody who needs to consult with a lawyer in order to obtain a visa, your basic education is obviously incomplete.   How many do you smoke per day,?  I suggest you pause for thought before answering

What a stupid answer.....

Smoking not allowed on the premises of hospitals. Fine. So that is why I walked around the hospital many times, outside, on side streets, looking for hospital staff going out to get their 'fix'. Nothing.

If you thought that a stupid argument like that could educate anyone, I am wondering about your level of education as well....

And about the use of a lawyer to obtain a visa, I wrote many times about this before. Simply because it was the only option. I could not leave Thailand to renew my visa, and I could not stay, for the Covid years.

May I respectfully suggest to you that you pause your thought before answering, as I am too educated to smoke a known cancer causing useless product, called tobacco.

Suggesting things that you know nothing about suggest that you definitely do not possess a scientific mind.

Educational attainment and cigarette smoking: a causal ...

Oxford Academic

https://academic.oup.com › ije › article

by SE Gilman · 2008 · Cited by 285 — Background Despite abundant evidence that lower education is associated with a higher risk of smoking.

Economics of tobacco: education, income, and smoking

Truth Initiative

https://truthinitiative.org › targeted-communities › econo...

Aug 4, 2559 BE — Tobacco use declines to 10.2 percent among adults with an undergraduate degree and to 6.4 percent among adults with a graduate degree.

Edited by Andre0720
Typo
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Of course your right about tobacco use in the less educated, even Stevie Wonder could see that. The mistake you made was the cannabis and tobacco reference 

No mistake there sir.

All the men downstairs here who come to buy cannabis products, they all smoke, all. They gather around together, smoking and taking cannabis products.

So yes, the same, I never saw anybody at the Bangkok Hospital coming outside to get their fix of cannabis products, along with a fix of nicotine.

None, so the same....

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

No mistake there sir.

All the men downstairs here who come to buy cannabis products, they all smoke, all. They gather around together, smoking and taking cannabis products.

So yes, the same, I never saw anybody at the Bangkok Hospital coming outside to get their fix of cannabis products, along with a fix of nicotine.

None, so the same....

IMG_20240312_073136.thumb.jpg.5e8288b4624e6267d92b6128368bf497.jpg

• Like 1

What a stupid answer.....

Smoking not allowed on the premises of hospitals. Fine. So that is why I walked around the hospital many times, outside, on side streets, looking for hospital staff going out to get their 'fix'. Nothing.

If you thought that a stupid argument like that could educate anyone, I am wondering about your level of education as well....

And about the use of a lawyer to obtain a visa, I wrote many times about this before. Simply because it was the only option. I could not leave Thailand to renew my visa, and I could not stay, for the Covid years.

May I respectfully suggest to you that you pause your thought before answering, as I am too educated to smoke a known cancer causing useless product, called tobacco.

Suggesting things that you know nothing about suggest that you definitely do not possess a scientific mind.

Educational attainment and cigarette smoking: a causal ...

Oxford Academic

https://academic.oup.com › ije › article

by SE Gilman · 2008 · Cited by 285 — Background Despite abundant evidence that lower education is associated with a higher risk of smoking.

Economics of tobacco: education, income, and smoking

Truth Initiative

https://truthinitiative.org › targeted-communities › econo...

Aug 4, 2559 BE — Tobacco use declines to 10.2 percent among adults with an undergraduate degree and to 6.4 percent among adults with a graduate degree.

You need to get a life, walking around hospital premises looking for evidence of smoking is not normal behavior by anybody's standards,  even somebody with a very limited education like me can see that.

Using a"lawyer" to obtain a visa is the sole preserve of peoplle who either do not know the system of fail to meet the requirements , Plenty of people managed during Covid without resorting to that

So you consider yourself "too educated " to smoke,  personally I would expect you to get through 60 a day 

• Thanks 1

No mistake there sir.

None, so the same....

Maybe after seeing you loitering around hospital premises the smokers retreated to their designated smoking area to avoid your intrusive prying eyes.  People who want to smoke will do so regardless of your opinions   The smoking of cannabis in public is generally discouraged and could lead to prosecution, and somebody with your claimed "high education" should be aware that users of cannabis do not need or crave " a fix"      You have been watching reefer madness again haven't you?   Another know it all who know  clearly knows nothing 

• Agree 2