I have a non immigrant O visa (thai spouse) and my wife will stay another province

1 hour ago, steph83 said:

Hi, we are living for 4 years near Korat and i have a non immigrant O visa (thai spouse).

I'm sure you have a 1-year extension of permission of stay, your Non O visa expired, but is relevant.

Is it a problem according to the immigration rule if we don't live together ?

The marriage should be dejure and defacto, meaning you live and stay together.
However, if the wife will appear for the extension application, don't inform them and hope they don't do a house visit, then you should be OK.

• Agree 2

Hi, we are living for 4 years near Korat and i have a non immigrant O visa (thai spouse). My wife got a job at Phuket. I plan to stay with our children at Korat and move to join her later, may be in 1 or 2 years. Is it a problem according to the immigration rule if we don't live together ? Of course, she will come at Korat when i need to do the extension of permission of stay every year at the immigration office.

Cheers

If you can get extension based on retirement your problem is resolved.

My non O was based on marriage but my extensions were for retirement.

• Thumbs Up 1

OP, thinking the wife coming home to visit family would work.

Inconvenient especially for wife but not Impossible.  Keep in mind home visit, witness etc.

Some have mentioned Switching to extension based on retirement. 

Don't see that as best option since wife would still need to attend immigration for your switch to retirement.  

Also you mention only 1-2 extensions..

Your plan will work. 

Also a suggestion of changing to extension based on Thai children won't wash with immigration.  

BTW ignore the rubbish laugh emoji to your OP

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

You could also get an extension based on taking care of your children.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Inconvenient especially for wife but not Impossible.  Keep in mind home visit, witness etc.

Don't see that as best option since wife would still need to attend immigration for your switch to retirement.  

Your plan will work. 

Also a suggestion of changing to extension based on Thai children won't wash with immigration.  

Thanks Mate, what's the problem of changing to extension based on Thai children ?

43 minutes ago, steph83 said:

Thanks Mate, what's the problem of changing to extension based on Thai children ?

When you are still married most offices will make you remain on extension based on marriage even when you have children.

Changing to based on retirement even when still married no problem.

OP, you mentioned one or two years your wife will be in Phuket. Thinking the suggestion made of wife return home for extension is best option. 

OR at worst switch to retirement and use income method if your embassy provides income letter. 

What method do you currently use. Money in bank or monthly income

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

When you are still married most offices will make you remain on extension based on marriage even when you have children.

Changing to based on retirement even when still married no problem.

OP, you mentioned one or two years your wife will be in Phuket. Thinking the suggestion made of wife return home for extension is best option. 

OR at worst switch to retirement and use income method if your embassy provides income letter. 

What method do you currently use. Money in bank or monthly income

Thanks a bunch, i understand perfectly now. No problem my wife can come back home for extension. Cheers !

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, john donson said:

don't ask, don't tell ? if she comes for extension.... none of their beeswax

That's being far 2 simplistic. 

Immigration will still require wife to attend immigration for extension and also be available for home visit and provide witness if his immigration office requires that.

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My non O was based on marriage but my extensions were for retirement.

I bet your first extension was based on marriage.   🙂

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
22 hours ago, steph83 said:

> It's worth enquiring at your Korat Imm Office, whether they would allow you to switch from your current extension based on Marriage, to a 1-year extension for reason of dependant Thai children. 

Obviously you should not 'wake sleeping dogs' and inform them that your wife would be taking up a job in Phuket.  But it would be a perfectly legitimate question to ask as it has the advantage for you that when you use the Funds-in-Bank method that a 1-year extension based on 'thai dependant children', only requires the +400K funds to be on your personal Thai bank at the moment of application. 

Also note that a house-visit by Immigration (to check whether you are indeed living together) is as good as always announced a couple of hours before Immigration actually shows up.  This to avoid a wasted trip for them in case you would not be home.  When receiving such a call during the 'under consideration' period, you can always say that your wife is not home as she is on a trip visiting relatives in Phuket.  And you could then agree on another date for the home-visit allowing your wife to return to your home just for that visit.     

• Love It 1

Go and ask them in the local Immigration Office with the wife.  If you are 'caught out' by a home visit after 1 or 2 years, the downsides are big.  Tell them she is going for 2-3 months every 6 months, and that the kids are staying with you. It should be fine as per comments about looking after the children. If for some reason the IOs are not OK with that, then switch to a retirement extension (and maybe best to use an agent).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

> It's worth enquiring at your Korat Imm Office, whether they would allow you to switch from your current extension based on Marriage, to a 1-year extension for reason of dependant Thai children. 

Obviously you should not 'wake sleeping dogs' and inform them that your wife would be taking up a job in Phuket.  But it would be a perfectly legitimate question to ask as it has the advantage for you that when you use the Funds-in-Bank method that a 1-year extension based on 'thai dependant children', only requires the +400K funds to be on your personal Thai bank at the moment of application. 

Also note that a house-visit by Immigration (to check whether you are indeed living together) is as good as always announced a couple of hours before Immigration actually shows up.  This to avoid a wasted trip for them in case you would not be home.  When receiving such a call during the 'under consideration' period, you can always say that your wife is not home as she is on a trip visiting relatives in Phuket.  And you could then agree on another date for the home-visit allowing your wife to return to your home just for that visit.     

Good advice, i will do it, thanks Mate !

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 8:31 AM, steph83 said:

Hi, we are living for 4 years near Korat and i have a non immigrant O visa (thai spouse). My wife got a job at Phuket. I plan to stay with our children at Korat and move to join her later, may be in 1 or 2 years. Is it a problem according to the immigration rule if we don't live together ? Of course, she will come at Korat when i need to do the extension of permission of stay every year at the immigration office.

Cheers

I'm have the same circumstances, my wife works in Bangkok for 3 times the salary,  I look after our son in the sticks, I've done 4 extensions like this, the first for a Thai wife and then based on my son, we have also been open with immigration and had no problems whatso ever. KR Colin

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

I've done 4 extensions like this, the first for a Thai wife and then based on my son, we have also been open with immigration and had no problems whatso ever. KR Colin

This is good information. 

Can you outline your open discussion with immigration office as generally this switch not simple. 

Immigration would insist on extension based on marriage if indeed not divorced.

Read ubonjoe first post in this thread.

Last sentence. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1242913-1-year-extension-non-o-i-have-thai-wife-and-thai-kids-which-one-is-better-or-more-hassle-free-for-extension/

On 3/11/2024 at 11:02 AM, DrJack54 said:

Doesn't the forum provide those "rubbish emojis" for members to use as a way to express opinions?   Note that was a question.   And no, the emoji's not from me, as you can see.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:02 AM, DrJack54 said:

Your plan will work. 

Isn't a requirement of a marriage extension that they have to be living together as a married couple?

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't the forum provide those "rubbish emojis" for members to use as a way to express opinions?   Note that was a question.   And no, the emoji's not from me, as you can see.

The OP asked a genuine question and not that uncommon. 

Some of the emoji demonstrates silliness. 

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Isn't a requirement of a marriage extension that they have to be living together as a married couple?

It does. The OP asked for advice and I suggested an alternative. Stand by that. 

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

This is temporary situation. 

Clearly the marriage is solid and OP not trying to scam in situation where  separated (no longer a couple) is not the case. 

Perhaps better option for you is to actually post advice to the OP. 

On 3/12/2024 at 9:04 PM, colinchaffers said:

I'm have the same circumstances, my wife works in Bangkok for 3 times the salary,  I look after our son in the sticks, I've done 4 extensions like this, the first for a Thai wife and then based on my son, we have also been open with immigration and had no problems whatso ever. KR Colin

Thanks Colin, did the officer ask you why you want to change it ? What did you say to him ?

On 3/16/2024 at 11:51 AM, steph83 said:

Thanks Colin, did the officer ask you why you want to change it ? What did you say to him ?

The real reason, so my wife didn't waste a day at immigration every year, but as it turns out the following extension they wanted to see her because he was "too small" (about 5) at the time.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, colinchaffers said:

The real reason, so my wife didn't waste a day at immigration every year, but as it turns out the following extension they wanted to see her because he was "too small" (about 5) at the time.  

Thanks Mate !