SUV best choice 2024?

Hello All,

We need to replace one of our SUVs as it is nearly at 900k kms - we wanted to stick with the Toyota Fortuners as they are so reliable, but with the new model now delayed until at least the end of the year, we can't wait that long, and don't want to buy the old model.

What are your recommendations? Have already discounted the Chinese stuff

Thinking Ford Everest or Isuzu Mu-7 - any others worth considering?

TIA!

To be honestly to make it more easy for you to make a choice, I owns a Fortuner until 3 years ago,  a nd before that a Ford Escape (which never again)because it was a bit lower in price that time I make choice for the Isuzu MUX 3 ltr.

If I were to buy another new car now, I would still choose the Toyota Fortuner again.

The Isuzu is noisier, the automatic transmission does not work smoothly, compared to the Fortuner, the suspension is also not what you would expect from it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

So far all the comments here focus on the SUVs largely based on pickups and their relatively crude suspension and ladder chassis. Unless you need the extra pure size a far better driving and comfort experience will be offered by the likes of the Honda CRV (hybrid best choice). Its pukka IRS and chassis more similar to car will provide a better ride and sophistication combined with a modern well regarded hybrid motor drivetrain at similar pricing 

I agree with you, as I mention above I owns a Ford escape but before that car it was a Honda CRV, and yes much comfortable.

Only because they don't make diesels (for Thailand, in Europe they have) , i made the step over to Fortuner and Isuzu.

41 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I agree with you, as I mention above I owns a Ford escape but before that car it was a Honda CRV, and yes much comfortable.

Only because they don't make diesels (for Thailand, in Europe they have) , i made the step over to Fortuner and Isuzu.

They did persist with the diesel here long after its demise in Europe with the alternative of the long discontinued very old technology 2 litre and 2,4 petrol engines. Dumping old technology engines on the unsophisticated Thai market. Only late last year did they finally introduce the hybrid and turbo petrol engines. Apparently there's a PHEV on the way in other countries too but guess that will take some time to reach Thailand.

1,6 or 1.7 million so might take the plunge this year but keep the 9 year old 3 litre Isuzu pickup in great condition too. No point selling it I reckon..? 

Mazda CX-8 (huge inside) or the smaller CX-5.

Less off-road capabilities, but way more smooth and way more quiet to drive. Which other car has double-glazed side windows for noise reduction in series?

And, generally Mazda is rated similar to Toyota regarding it's reliability.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Go Toyota. 2012 Pajero was so so. 2016 Hilux was flawless. Replaced after 200k km with 2022 Fortuner. Fortuner flawless too. Our Toyota dealer has the best service department I’ve ever experienced. Both vehicles have only required scheduled maintenance. Both Toyotas have 2.8 liter diesels. Pajero was a gasoline V6. Mitsubishi service was substandard. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

So far all the comments here focus on the SUVs largely based on pickups and their relatively crude suspension and ladder chassis. Unless you need the extra pure size a far better driving and comfort experience will be offered by the likes of the Honda CRV (hybrid best choice). Its pukka IRS and chassis more similar to car will provide a better ride and sophistication combined with a modern well regarded hybrid motor drivetrain at similar pricing 

I am staying away from Honda also. We bought a Civic about 6 years ago and had endless problems with it, which was surprising given their reputation. Not a patch on the Altis

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chongalulu said:

They did persist with the diesel here long after its demise in Europe with the alternative of the long discontinued very old technology 2 litre and 2,4 petrol engines. Dumping old technology engines on the unsophisticated Thai market. Only late last year did they finally introduce the hybrid and turbo petrol engines. Apparently there's a PHEV on the way in other countries too but guess that will take some time to reach Thailand.

1,6 or 1.7 million so might take the plunge this year but keep the 9 year old 3 litre Isuzu pickup in great condition too. No point selling it I reckon..? 

Of course the Isuzu is for sale, I will sell anything if I get a good price for it.

By the way, the Isuzu is 3 years old with less than 30k on the odometer.

Edited by Peterphuket
correction

12 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

Honda CRV, isn't that a small Suv compared to Fortuner?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, seabear said:

Volvo XC 60

Unless you have money to trow away, and live in Bangkok, Volvo is a expensive choice and there is better cars for better value.

I would choosed Range Rover, but another price class ahain.

Second Audi A5 or A6 is about same price class as XC

The newest Everest now has a 3L benzene engine with biturbo, same as the new raptors.  Price also went up to around 2.2 million for the 4X4 version.

Edited by rwill

On 3/12/2024 at 11:21 AM, Flying Saucage said:

Mazda CX-8 (huge inside) or the smaller CX-5.

Less off-road capabilities, but way more smooth and way more quiet to drive. Which other car has double-glazed side windows for noise reduction in series?

And, generally Mazda is rated similar to Toyota regarding it's reliability.

Agree and the interior quality is superb. If you want a diesel it's the better choice but the CRV hybrid is more powerful and sophisticated 

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

That is 30 km/h for 12 hours each and every day for 7 years. WOW!

Any major breakdowns?

New transmission?

No major issues ever. We have 3 Fortuners and they are just superb. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, remobb said:

Have you looked at the Toyota Yaris Cross? I was looking at it yesterday and looks very good. I am seriously thinking about it.

Too small for our requirements and to get green plates, unfortunately