Anti-Farang hate campaign continues #Farang

15 minutes ago, jonclark said:

The only people I see hating farang are other farang. Forums are full of farangs creating horrible anti farang echo chambers to vilify others in. Most Thais really couldn't careless.  This thread a great example of some of the (now removed) trolling and bickering between farangs. This death was one of the many (30+ average) road deaths that happen every day in Thailand. It was most likley an accident, unless of course you think he intentionally killed the person. 

Agree

image.png.448b3509c88fe036171c4e3f8f8e56cc.pngHere's the text I'm referring to. The news presenter at first does say the word "foreigner" not Farang so this may have just been the social media people doing this and not heard by the bulk of the people on the TV.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's not a good time to be a farang doing hit and runs, attacking people in supermarkets, spitting at people after you forced them to knock your bike, kicking someone sat on some stairs and threatening to shoot them or have them put in prison, and all the other stuff.

For the rest of us nothing has changed.

Be good, be respectful, and you are very welcome here.

ive always been good and been respectful.

still never felt very welcome here.

bob.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

That hit and run was nothing remarkable so it was noteworthy they put the Farang part so front and center.

Yes, I also think it is notable and other reports will have to be monitored to see if it an actual trend or if it is just a one-off slip-up by the news channel staff (which does happen).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

image.png.448b3509c88fe036171c4e3f8f8e56cc.pngHere's the text I'm referring to. The news presenter at first does say the word "foreigner" not Farang so this may have just been the social media people doing this and not heard by the bulk of the people on the TV.

The third hashtag is #Prachuap Khiri Khan...am I now to assume there is now a wave of anti-Pracchuap Khiri Khan sentiment sweeping through Thailand now? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

People getting their knickers in a twist about been called a Farang , what do you want

them to call you SIR

I prefer 'master' but sir would do......i guess.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, bob smith said:

ive always been good and been respectful.

still never felt very welcome here.

bob.

I'll fix it for you.

It's not a good time to be a farang doing hit and runs, attacking people in supermarkets, spitting at people after you forced them to knock your bike, kicking someone sat on some stairs and threatening to shoot them or have them put in prison, and all the other stuff.

Be good, be respectful, and you are very welcome here, apart from Bob - I wonder why that could be.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly as I see it... I don't see any anti-'farang' stigmatisation in this report at all...   Its just reporting on an event, whereby it so happens that the driver is Foreign. 

Ok it's in Thai so it's easy to miss but the title has the word Farang and there is a #Farang hashtag in the YouTube video also. I should have put this in the original post but it would be something like "Negro man hits and kills white women's son. #Negros" in an American context. It's pretty shocking for a national news channel if you ask me.

No it wouldn't not at all...    All you are doing is trying to shoe-horn racism and xenophobia out of an everyday story. 

There is enough xenophobia out there without making it up from a non-story and weakening any potential real issues. 

I've seen numerous videos of car / motorcycle / cycling fatalities today and the one involving a foreigner is not reported on with nationalistic bias whatsoever.

YOUR interpretation of the manner in which 'farang' us used is flawed. While the use of the word in this context from a professional news source is highly clumsy, it doesn't point to xenophobia or racism, it simply points in naive and innocently ignorant news team thats all. 

There are enough issues already, without trying to shoe-horn this rubbish into outrage. 

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Its just slang... thats all... Clumsy ? yes...  professional ? no...   

Offensive - only of you want to shoe-horn offence out of pretty much nothing.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I'll fix it for you.

Be good, be respectful, and you are very welcome here, apart from Bob - I wonder why that could be.

because they dont like farangs?

bob.

17 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Farang hit and run kills this women's son. Looks like he's 100% to blame but notice how they use the #Farang hashtag and highlight the fact it was a foreigner. ThaiRath TV has endless stories like this (the other day a drunk kid hit 4 cyclists killing 2 of them) but they don't put up the photo like this ever. Reminds me of Travon Martin, Americans will know.

It's not looking like a good time be a Farang in Thailand!

If farangs follow laws, customs and rules in Thailand, they would have a wonderful life here.🙏

44 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

It's only the paranoid foreigners on here that think that as it fits their chip-on-the-shoulder outlook on life here.

In 24 years of living in Thailand and China, I've found that people generally treat me according to my behavior.  In fact, that was true back in the States, as well. 

If locals are treating anyone badly, I'd suggest they look in the mirror and ask what they may be doing to elicit that response.  I've been guilty on occasion.

Most times I've seen that happen, it has something to do with treating women as sperm receptacles, and oozing contempt but papering it over with fake nicey-nice. 

Edit:  Southern US women are famous for that fake nicey-nice.  Telling you to go FO, but nicely. And smiling while they do it.  Lots of funny YouTubes on that.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Sure but this is going to upset lots of people and we have to go in to public with strangers. The American equivalent of this news story would be something like:

"Negro man hits and kills white women's son. #Negros"

That's literally what this national news channel did. It's pretty crazy actually if you can wrap your head around it. That's going to inflame tensions if you ask me.

These days it would be very unusual to see a person's ethnicity mentioned in the news, especially if that person had committed a crime and it would help to find them. 

It is true that news is full of bad farangs, but there are so many good ones but there is no news about... By highlighting the bad ones it seems that every farang is bad..but how many Thais are doing the same or worse?? But look at the news.. If you want to come on the news you have to murder, fight, get an accident, or whatever.. Never good news only the bad things are being highlighted. Besides that Thailand is a very conservative country with outdated rules and laws and it looks nice but living with it is something else, as Thailand always be in favor of Thais and always against non Thais. Sadly but very true 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

YOUR interpretation of the manner in which 'farang' us used is flawed. While the use of the word in this context from a professional news source is highly clumsy, it doesn't point to xenophobia or racism, it simply points in naive and innocently ignorant news team thats all. 

To be clear here I'm not saying this is a disaster and we should be panicking, I'm just reporting on something which may be of interest because it's following a trend which just started.

If I Thai people around the country and are saying to each other "hear about that kid that got killed by the Farang?" thanks to that news story it doesn't do me any favors.

The best policy is to not mention race unless it's strictly relevant to the case. America is the best example of this where a news story is presented with the race in the headline and then the race riots follow (remember BLM?).

• Agree 1

Offensive - only of you want to shoe-horn offence out of pretty much nothing.

Again to be clear, I'm not offended. I don't care if people call me Farang or use some slurs here and there. I'm saying  I THINK this may have been a story meant to inflame tensions, because news media loves doing this if it means getting more clicks.

• Agree 1

To be clear here I'm not saying this is a disaster and we should be panicking, I'm just reporting on something which may be of interest because it's following a trend which just started.

OR... You have picked up on this trend and have tried to shoe-horn in another story and piggy back on the drama... ... which is what a lot of the media is currently doing... 

If I Thai people around the country and are saying to each other "hear about that kid that got killed by the Farang?" thanks to that news story it doesn't do me any favors.

IF indeed - you are right, the 'whatifery' doesn't do you any favours - you are projecting that Thai's are gossipping negatively about foreigners because of reported events and that will have an impact on your stay here or some how influence how Thai's will treat you...

.. Thats a reach...   you're searching for the problem rather than commenting on an existing issue.

The best policy is to not mention race unless it's strictly relevant to the case. America is the best example of this where a news story is presented with the race in the headline and then the race riots follow (remember BLM?).

I agree with you from the 'woke' over reaction we have in the West...  But really, race, nationality, gender etc... its all part of the story...  If we're not careful we'd have reports such as...  ... "Car driven by person hits bike ridden by person"....    

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Again to be clear, I'm not offended. I don't care if people call me Farang or use some slurs here and there. I'm saying  I THINK this may have been a story meant to inflame tensions, because news media loves doing this if it means getting more clicks.

Yeah, I get your point...     I have seen the media picking backing on the swiss 'case' (both of them)...  the numerous re-reports and add-on's to that story have certainly appeared to attempt to 'create further drama' and attention which naturally cynical folk picked up on as being 'deliberately charged' reporting to stir the pot and drum up further nationalistic controversy....

That said - in the case of this report (OP) nothing more or less is mentioned than would have been 1 month, 1 year or 10 years ago... 

... just the same language and certainly no further negative connotations implied towards foreigners. 

While in other reports there may be something to see from the 'anti-farang' perspective - this is not one of those cases IMO....

... IMO - this is just a 'nothing to see here'... just normal reporting when a white foreigner is involved. 

I have been visiting Thailand since 2010 and I didnt see anything against foreigners but instead of that I have seen many-many westerners who behave rude in Thais males and females.

The last incidences occured from two foreigners coming from European territory Switzerland who both beat Thai ladies and one of them has guns in his pocession.

Whats the problem for Thai Authorities to revoke both of them visas and ban at least 5 years?

The tourism industry will receive slam because two foreigners ban from entering Thailand? Are you kidding?

This is lesson from the past and those forgotten for newcomers westerners because Thais arent "bus class" sabordinate civilians than "you" and "me".

Thailand is the land of kindness and smile and you become "farang" or "foreigner" in Thailand if you have "high style" arrogant because foreigners should not be arrogant towards Thai people who are very friendly and very polite.

Lesson from the past and those forgotten!

Moving-picture-Greece-flag-flapping-on-pole-with-name-animated-gif.gif

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

...the semi divine Khon Thai... The average Thai is not educated enough to read between the lines and see the difference! 

Oh my word, just listen at you.

Get over yourself.

16 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Ok it's in Thai so it's easy to miss but the title has the word Farang and there is a #Farang hashtag in the YouTube video also. I should have put this in the original post but it would be something like "Negro man hits and kills white women's son. #Negros" in an American context. It's pretty shocking for a national news channel if you ask me.

Is this turning into another debate about the word 'farang' being derogatory? You appear to be one of those that considers it to be a racial epithet.

With your introduction of an "American context" to the debate, what will mentioning the totally irrelevant question of America's race relations achieve here?