Thai Language Course but already fluent in Thai?

I couldn’t find this information online so I’m not sure about the legality of it. Could I take a legitimate Thai Language course for the ED visa if I’m already fluent in Thai? I’m on the ED visa and I’m about to graduate from a public university. I’m thinking of staying on another ED visa by taking a language course. I’m interested in Japanese but most courses are in Thai and expensive if not. During that period, I'll also be looking for a job or a master's program abroad.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"I’m interested in Japanese but most courses are in Thai"

If you are fluent in Thai as you say, that shouldn't be a problem. 

I'm just worried that there could be problems with the immigration. Like would they question if I'm abusing the system if I can already use Thai fluently? I should mention that I went to a billingual school here. There would be nothing for me to learn more even in the more advanced courses. Or am I worrying for nothing? 

Edited by Polotaz

5 hours ago, Polotaz said:

I couldn’t find this information online so I’m not sure about the legality of it. Could I take a legitimate Thai Language course for the ED visa if I’m already fluent in Thai? I’m on the ED visa and I’m about to graduate from a public university. I’m thinking of staying on another ED visa by taking a language course. I’m interested in Japanese but most courses are in Thai and expensive if not. During that period, I'll also be looking for a job or a master's program abroad.

I think if you take bona fide classes, such as from a University, then it will be ok.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, tgw said:

I think if you take bona fide classes, such as from a University, then it will be ok.

But if the OP is indeed fluent, then he/she will be bored out of their mind. It is a visa  requirement that the student attends the course.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you learn คำเป็น คำตาย already? I guess so.

Otherwise I would put that on your list.

Do a university course in English. I haven't looked at any except at phuket where they have computer science courses (amongst others) in English. There's a whole international student program there.

20 hours ago, Polotaz said:

I’m interested in Japanese but most courses are in Thai and expensive if not. During that period, I'll also be looking for a job or a master's program abroad.

So what's the problem then, just book in the Japanese course and learn it, as you said you are fluent in Thai. Should be easy for you.

On 3/13/2024 at 3:07 AM, Polotaz said:

During that period, I'll also be looking for a job or a master's program abroad.

Get the job and the Non-B that goes with it (you can always quit later) or find your master's course abroad and leave. Why look for problems?

5 hours ago, Maestro said:

A Thai literature course, if you're interested in that.

It would be a waste of his time, he is fluent so knows everything that would be in the course.

Maybe he could take a course in how to teach Thai to Thai people.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Get the job and the Non-B that goes with it (you can always quit later) or find your master's course abroad and leave. Why look for problems?

Because I'll be graduating in a month and have to cancel the visa soon, I want to extend my stay as I look for jobs or prepare for the examinations required for the master's degree. The start date also would probably be months after I graduate. 

11 hours ago, bbi1 said:

So what's the problem then, just book in the Japanese course and learn it, as you said you are fluent in Thai. Should be easy for you.

Sorry, I meant to say that most language courses offered are for the Thai language. Courses in other languages like Japanese or Chinese are more expensive as I also need the visa. Although opting for those might be the preferable choice if I want to avoid such concerns.

17 minutes ago, Polotaz said:

Because I'll be graduating in a month and have to cancel the visa soon, I want to extend my stay as I look for jobs or prepare for the examinations required for the master's degree. The start date also would probably be months after I graduate. 

try and get a job at a language school that offers both English and Japanese - you work teaching one and get the Non-B visa and study the other during your time off.

Try the Thai-Japanese Center in BKK

19 hours ago, Muhendis said:

But if the OP is indeed fluent, then he/she will be bored out of their mind. It is a visa  requirement that the student attends the course.

He didn't say he's fluent in Japanese.

He could also pick Mandarin.

17 hours ago, Polotaz said:

Sorry, I meant to say that most language courses offered are for the Thai language. Courses in other languages like Japanese or Chinese are more expensive as I also need the visa. Although opting for those might be the preferable choice if I want to avoid such concerns.

May I know the fee for Japanese course?