Chiang Mai Immigration Requiring Your Monthly Income?

jeffandgop

39 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

They would prefer well off individuals such as myself and you who have enough money we don't have to go the cheap marriage extension route. 

Problem being, foreigners not on marriage extensions get deported for minor offences.

Foreigners on marriage extensions aren't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

No. I use a Fix Deposit account.  I put the lump sum of 400K+ in 5 years ago and leave it untouched...the only amounts shown and given to IMM  are interest earnings and nothing to do with my monthly income paid within the US to my US bank

similar with myself, i have 400K+ sat in an account i used to not touch, and they have then wanted copy of every page of bank book and i was asked "where are other transactions?"
most recent extension, i was not asked anything, but i had deposited more funds in past year and used the account to buy stuff from Lazada so it had some transactions and looked like account was being used.

45 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Could be related to the incoming tax laws on foreign income. Wife was asked to complete a form at Bangkok bank related to all her income. Didn't take long as she has none. Staff said also related to new tax laws. Since then have not heard of anyone else having to do this. Maybe this is the start, no extension without declaring income and source. TIT

Obvious answer is to tell them you have no income.

• Agree 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Problem being, foreigners not on marriage extensions get deported for minor offences.

also , on a Marriage extension , if one wanted to work on a foreigner allowed trade, one could, where or a retirement visa you can not work. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The assumption is that this "check" is about income tax, it might not be that at all. It might be about determining threshold levels of income needed for new visa plans, or about what the charges should really be for visa's. This may not have anything to do with tax whatsoever, which would be my guess.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Ok, well that may have pricked someone interest as you have on the surface, NO income or flow in the account.

Perhaps a suspicious mind wanted to know why.

Doesnt detract from the regulation for the fixed sum though. May be just a particular IO being enthusiastic.

I don't think so...I was not being singled out by CM Imm or by the AGENT, who said, CM Imm asks everyone for this info even if the applicant's financial compliance are not based on monthly income.  I believe Mike's correct- the agent asked for my monthly income irrespective of what I am REQUIRED to provide.  My wife and I have a joint savings account at Bangkok Bank- that's where monies from my US income is transferred to, when we need it...definitely not a monthly thing.....

Edited by jeffandgop

29 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Don't want to get on a pissing contest with you over who has more money . 

I would not call it cheap, I would call it frugal, I did not get where I am by blowing my money on laziness,

My funds earn 5.3% FDIC insured in the US , but hey if you like to have it here for what? .000003% 

sure, you know what they say about a fool and his money.  

I also wait to see your reaction when you have to pay tax on these funds, you so liberally squander, 

:biggrin:

Please take note to whom I was quoting. I did it for a chuckle, sorry if it hit a nerve. As far as the taxes are concerned, I'm not going to alter my spending habits based on fear mongering.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The assumption is that this "check" is about income tax, it might not be that at all. It might be about determining threshold levels of income needed for new visa plans, or about what the charges should really be for visa's. This may not have anything to do with tax whatsoever, which would be my guess.

I'm doing my annual extension of stay derivative from my entry into Thailand 12 years ago on a Non-Imm O-A Visa...doing the same annual extension of stay ever since the first year passed and what I am doing has nothing to do with any new visa plan.....

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Soo, it's the criminal  element who go the marriage route then.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Soo, it's the criminal  element who go the marriage route then.

I'm betting the 'doctor kicker' wouldn't have had his extension cancelled if he's been on a marriage extension.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

I'm doing my annual extension of stay derivative from my entry into Thailand 12 years ago on a Non-Imm O-A Visa...doing the same annual extension of stay ever since the first year passed and what I am doing has nothing to do with any new visa plan.....

You misunderstand....the Immi may be collecting data on monthly spend amounts by foreigners, so they can plan and cost new products and charges.

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

Our front door doesn't have the house number on it; the house number is on the mailbox on the outside of the perimeter wall; that photo we have and always use.......

But a photo of you there is nor proof that you live there.

You could be just walking by.

I suspect that these are not new rules, just tightening up of old, out of date ones.

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Please take note to whom I was quoting. I did it for a chuckle, sorry if it hit a nerve. As far as the taxes are concerned, I'm not going to alter my spending habits based on fear mongering.

No raw nerve, in fact no nerve at all.

Whenever I am being sarcastic, or cheeky  which is almost always :tongue:

I use the tongue in cheek emoji  as above. 

But I see your point and retract my statement .  I should had seen who you were replying too and the context.

My appologies !! you sir are a scholar and a gentleman  :tongue: 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'm betting the 'doctor kicker' wouldn't have had his extension cancelled if he's been on a marriage extension.

I'll take that bet. 

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

You misunderstand....the Immi may be collecting data on monthly spend amounts by foreigners, so they can plan and cost new products and charges.

ok, thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

No raw nerve, in fact no nerve at all.

Whenever I am being sarcastic, or cheeky  which is almost always :tongue:

I use the tongue in cheek memory as above. 

But I see your point and retract my statement .  I should had seen who you were replying too and the context.

My appologies !! you sir are a scholar and a gentleman  :tongue: 

Unfortunately, I am neither. 

If this becomes standard practice at CM Immigration then it is of grave concern.

36 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I've just extended my visa and there was no such request either from the agent nor from Immi.

Did you get your extension at CM?

47 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

My income does not get deposited in Thailand. So there is nothing assessable.

Although off topic from your original post, I question your assumption that "nothing is assessable."  Presuming (as you later stated in another post) that you transfer funds from the US to Thailand, presuming you are a "tax resident" here (meaning you live here 180+ days a year), and presuming Thai authorities figure out a way to actually verify the amount of incoming funds and how to enforce their so-called new tax law, it may very well be that we foreigners may be taxed on all incoming funds unless we can prove that we are entirely or partially saved by various rules (general exemptions under Thai tax law, prohibitions provided by a given tax treaty, and/or an offset for taxes paid in our home countries). 

2 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Now we were told, by an agent, that CM IM wants to also know your monthly income amount and sources.

Highly doubt it. 

I declined to provide that to the agent 

Good 

we will see tomorrow if an IO requires this info....

Let us know the outcome 

The OP clearly states that his agent had requested this, not CM immigration directly.

If this was an actual new requirement at CM immigration then there would be numerous reports of this from expats who have renewed their extensions recently. Particularly those who don't use agents.

I live in Chiang Mai and I've not heard anything relating to this, not even on the Chiang Mai Facebook expats page.

Personally, I think that the OP's agent is just fishing for information. Trying to find out how much money their clients are bringing into the country each month. And using immigration as an excuse to ask personal money related questions.

They are probably looking partnering up with a financial advisor and moving into the taxation game. We all know this is going to happen. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Although off topic from your original post, I question your assumption that "nothing is assessable."  Presuming (as you later stated in another post) that you transfer funds from the US to Thailand, presuming you are a "tax resident" here (meaning you live here 180+ days a year), and presuming Thai authorities figure out a way to actually verify the amount of incoming funds and how to enforce their so-called new tax law, it may very well be that we foreigners may be taxed on all incoming funds unless we can prove that we are entirely or partially saved by various rules (general exemptions under Thai tax law, prohibitions provided by a given tax treaty, and/or an offset for taxes paid in our home countries). 

NO, we will not be taxed on all incomming finds, that has been fully discounted.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Parsing what I wrote.  My monthly income does not get transferred to Thailand. Period. Therefore it is not assessable.

What IS possibly assessable are monies from outside Thailand brought into Thailand effective 1 January 2024 onwards.

It would be a matter of grave concern if CM Immigration now decides the onus is on applicants to prove where they get money to live on, and to provide an audit to show how that money is or is not taxable.

So update us with the outcome.

• Agree 1