The owner said if you speak Thai then get out!!

37 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I just put it down to them being thick, they should know many farang have been here years, 

The only time I did get offended was Nakorn Si Thammerat were i was to told to <deleted> off out of Thailand in Thai obviously, 

I used to like go in a bar and sit there listening to the gossip I cant do it where I live to many people know me or the wife, One of them will warn the others, be careful he speaks Thai or I have a Thai wife, 

Another time in a restaurant I use, and on the next table 4 of them were bang at it about how dangerous it was farangs speaking Thai, until I paid my bill and walked past them and spoke Thai to them, Idiots

Can't really disagree with you there mate!

bob.

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sadly,

I find Bobs OP completely believable.

I also believe what Bob's said because of personal experience and from what other locals have said about their own. This country has over 70 million people, and like all other countries, has it's share of narcissistic, mean, prejudiced, hateful and deranged people. A lot of them don't like when you can speak fluent because they can't talk about you while you're there. I can't speak fluent but know a few of the statements, like those mentioned, along with many words in Thai. I know when they're talking about me and some of it hasn't been nice. I don't really care because in 67 years I've been around quite a few disturbed individuals like everyone else has, and there will always be those that haven't been taught as children respect for all races and nationalities.                                                                                                                                                                             There is a lot of hatred here from the previous generations which is slowly losing strength as the younger are living in a more free environment, with many outside influences from media, and from parents who aren't so prejudiced in their beliefs. I hate no race, and have a half Thai daughter and a Thai girlfriend I love dearly, but I see from over 6 years living here, and from what I've heard way before I came here, both from those who've experienced Thai living, and from Thais themselves, what is really wrong with this country. There are a lot of really nice people here who accept for whatever reasons outsiders. Some of it is the hope they will get something from them, others from a curiosity about us, just like ours of them. Others like our cultures, especially music and movies, and want to know more about us.                                                                                       What Bob experienced isn't uncommon. Maybe the lady is going through a divorce, had a bad experience with a farang, doesn't like men in general etc. Maybe it was just like I and others said. They don't like farangs and want to talk about us in a derogatory fashion, and if we understand Thai, they can't do that, at least when we are around. I listen to everyone's posts here, and some you can tell they are kinda out there, and many are speaking from true experiences here.                                                                                        I don't think Bob is anti Thai, but a realist like I am, and sees what really is. There are some here that have definitely made up stories and have been caught out, like gg, and that's sad because it seems like it's for attention. Some like GG are  so full of themselves they have to get attention by telling others he's a genius. which a true genius doesn't have to do. Some have had really bad experiences with a Thai woman, and hate everyone here because of it. I myself have been hurt by my ex here, but it isn't Thailand's fault but her parents why she turned out the way she did. In any event, what Bob has said happens, and many times in many ways, because of ignorance and prejudice, and it will be around until the younger crowd changes things, as they have been slowly. There are those that are brown nosers here, and think all locals are okay. There are those who have had a great experience with a Thai woman because she is given money and, smartly, doesn't take the man for granted and want more or think she "deserves" it. And there are those that don't trash all because of the actions of some.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I also believe what Bob's said because of personal experience and from what other locals have said about their own. This country has over 70 million people, and like all other countries, has it's share of narcissistic, mean, prejudiced, hateful and deranged people. A lot of them don't like when you can speak fluent because they can't talk about you while you're there. I can't speak fluent but know a few of the statements, like those mentioned, along with many words in Thai. I know when they're talking about me and some of it hasn't been nice. I don't really care because in 67 years I've been around quite a few disturbed individuals like everyone else has, and there will always be those that haven't been taught as children respect for all races and nationalities.                                                                                                                                                                             There is a lot of hatred here from the previous generations which is slowly losing strength as the younger are living in a more free environment, with many outside influences from media, and from parents who aren't so prejudiced in their beliefs. I hate no race, and have a half Thai daughter and a Thai girlfriend I love dearly, but I see from over 6 years living here, and from what I've heard way before I came here, both from those who've experienced Thai living, and from Thais themselves, what is really wrong with this country. There are a lot of really nice people here who accept for whatever reasons outsiders. Some of it is the hope they will get something from them, others from a curiosity about us, just like ours of them. Others like our cultures, especially music and movies, and want to know more about us.                                                                                       What Bob experienced isn't uncommon. Maybe the lady is going through a divorce, had a bad experience with a farang, doesn't like men in general etc. Maybe it was just like I and others said. They don't like farangs and want to talk about us in a derogatory fashion, and if we understand Thai, they can't do that, at least when we are around. I listen to everyone's posts here, and some you can tell they are kinda out there, and many are speaking from true experiences here.                                                                                        I don't think Bob is anti Thai, but a realist like I am, and sees what really is. There are some here that have definitely made up stories and have been caught out, like gg, and that's sad because it seems like it's for attention. Some like GG are  so full of themselves they have to get attention by telling others he's a genius. which a true genius doesn't have to do. Some have had really bad experiences with a Thai woman, and hate everyone here because of it. I myself have been hurt by my ex here, but it isn't Thailand's fault but her parents why she turned out the way she did. In any event, what Bob has said happens, and many times in many ways, because of ignorance and prejudice, and it will be around until the younger crowd changes things, as they have been slowly.

Mate, what an awesome post!

There is hope for this forum yet.

bob.

Been visiting/living in Thailand for 34 years never ever heard this before?? I personally would never ever live in tourist areas of Thailand, visit for a few days is fine

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What an absolutely bizarre story while I have no reason to question the veracity of the story it just makes one wonder why would this woman have been so offended at a foreigner who speaks Thai, and why she would be bad mouthing a patron.

considering here merely said "hello".... allegedly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

It was hello and thank you - and we all know that in 99.9 per cent of cases it would get no reaction or a favourable reaction. So it either didn't happen or he met a psycho or there is a different reason but it clearly is not an indication of the way thai's normally behave.  

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

but it clearly is not an indication of the way thai's normally behave.  

How do thais normally behave?

Is there a baseline or a guidebook that all thais follow in social situations?

bob.

Edited by bob smith

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

In all the years I've been in Thailand I've never had anybody get offended by saying hello in Thai. 

Perhaps her husband just died that morning, perhaps her son just got run over on his motorbike, who knows she might have been having the worst day of her life. 

Or is she just could have been a total disenchanted grouch. 

• Thanks 1

Comes in handy being able to speak Thai, there was a guy I know who had a bar and restaurant in an old Thai bungalow on a big piece of land that had another 2 bed bungalow out the back, so he thought he would do it up and rent the rooms out, so he's got some builders building a wall and a gate to separate them, but he also had a farang friend painting the bungalow and I could hear the builders talking about him not having a work permit, they didn't grass him up but you can see how they think, 

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In all the years I've been in Thailand I've never had anybody get offended by saying hello in Thai. 

Perhaps her husband just died that morning, perhaps her son just got run over on his motorbike, who knows she might have been having the worst day of her life. 

Or is she just could have been a total disenchanted grouch. 

Or on her periods 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Comes in handy being able to speak Thai, there was a guy I know who had a bar and restaurant in an old Thai bungalow on a big piece of land that had another 2 bed bungalow out the back, so he thought he would do it up and rent the rooms out, so he's got some builders building a wall and a gate to separate them, but he also had a farang friend painting the bungalow and I could hear the builders talking about him not having a work permit, they didn't grass him up but you can see how they think, 

It must be cultural.

Thais are among the most petty people I have ever encountered. 

I think it mostly boils down to fear. They are afraid of us, of change, of being publicly humiliated by a well educated, well spoken, smarter farang.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bob smith said:

It must be cultural.

I think it mostly boils down to fear. They are afraid of us, of change, of being publicly humiliated by a well educated, well spoken, smarter farang.

bob.

It also boils down to how women are looked at here, and it's from the teachings of Buddha. They see what life is like in other countries and some want it, and have deep seated hate towards men in Asia because of the way they are perceived. This is a small part of a topic......................

Talking about the present day status of women in Buddhism, it can clearly be seen that nuns are placed at an inferior positions as compared to monks. They should speak after the monks have spoken, eat after they have eaten, sit behind the monks in rituals and ceremonies, and cannot hold the highest positions in any ceremony and many more. One of the Gurudhhamas which states that even a senior nun should bow down to a monk who has just been initiated shows how inferior the women have been placed in Buddhism. As already stated, it is said that a female nun can never become a Buddha though she can become an arahant. Very few times, questions have been raised about this inequality and when raised though, have been suppressed by the large number of people who still believe that women should be placed at an inferior position as compared to monks. Even in Taiwan, where nuns status is highest, and where nuns and laywomen far outnumber monks and laymen, only two leaders of orthodox Buddhist sects, Master Yin Shu and Master Xing Yun of Buddha’s Light International, have publicly rejected part of the Eight Garudhammas and other rules and teachings that imply that women are inferior to men and should be treated as such. Few other Buddhists in the country have made such public statements, or given vocal support to equal rights, opportunities, or status for women [11] . In many cases, women themselves have deep rooted feelings that they are inferior to men. They think that they cannot be in the same place as men are because they are more jealous, short tongued, evil, weak, vain, and ignorant and so on. This also makes it difficult to bring out this deep rooted feeling in women and establish a level of confidence in them. During his research, Goodwin found that this concept is changing very rapidly in Taiwan, especially in the young generations. They do not hold these negative views any more. There is also a growing consciousness within the Buddhist community that these negative teachings and unequal rules should be abandoned. This shows that the number of people supporting equality is on the rise. I think Dalai Lama’s effort to eliminate the discrimination of nuns should also be mentioned here. He says that this discrimination causes harm and should be abandoned. He has advocated that reforms should be made. We come to see that Tibetan Buddhism has moved forward in this context. Many of the Tibetan leaders have expressed a desire for improvement of the current conditions.

In the west, I can say that the situation is a bit better. Half of the teachers and leaders in western Buddhism are women. In the west, many view that Buddhist men and women are equal. They get equal opportunities. In Asia, however things are yet to change. The nuns here receive less education, respect, training and material support as compared to the monks. They have very little or no chance of advancement. In some of the countries, women are barred from entering shrines or temples. Not only so, even a monk who supports women of ordination may get severe punishment which can even result to his expulsion. This is a clear illustration to show that things are yet to be changed...............................This is the topic...........................https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation?paperid=75673

13 hours ago, bob smith said:

farang pood Thai mai Dee, farang kee nok

"(That) farrang who speaks Thai is no good"

Maybe she was using the fact that you spoke Thai to indicate who she was talking about? [much in the same way she could have said "farang ooan" or "farrang sua deang"]

In which case she already knows you and dislikes you from a previous encounter.

That seems far more believable than her being upset simply because you said hello in Thai to her.

12 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Spot on, Bob!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

They fear we will buy up everything and Thais will own nothing especially on Phuket, 

Survival of the fittest/richest.

It's the same the world over at the moment. Thailand is not immune to this.

bob.

The Dunning-Kruger effect, combined with desire to show off, and an overinflated ego.

A person who speaks Thai poorly is not in a position to judge how well he speaks Thai.

Hence numerous people who learned Thai as adults have the mistaken belief that they speak perfectly.

The probability that a person who learned a language as an adult has native level pronunciation approaches zero.

People who use Thai for purposes of communication (I myself use a mixture of Thaiglish, hand gestures and facial expressions) don't get shunned for using Thai; if anyone does it is people who are trying to show off their (questionable) Thai proficiency.

The OPs problem may be much simpler, "the guy who speaks Thai" may just be to identify him.

His real problem may just be poor personal hygiene.

As a rule of thumb for the OP, "by the time you smell yourself other people been smellin' you for 3 days".

20 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It also boils down to how women are looked at here, and it's from the teachings of Buddha. They see what life is like in other countries and some want it, and have deep seated hate towards men in Asia because of the way they are perceived. This is a small part of a topic......................

Talking about the present day status of women in Buddhism, it can clearly be seen that nuns are placed at an inferior positions as compared to monks. They should speak after the monks have spoken, eat after they have eaten, sit behind the monks in rituals and ceremonies, and cannot hold the highest positions in any ceremony and many more. One of the Gurudhhamas which states that even a senior nun should bow down to a monk who has just been initiated shows how inferior the women have been placed in Buddhism. As already stated, it is said that a female nun can never become a Buddha though she can become an arahant. Very few times, questions have been raised about this inequality and when raised though, have been suppressed by the large number of people who still believe that women should be placed at an inferior position as compared to monks. Even in Taiwan, where nuns status is highest, and where nuns and laywomen far outnumber monks and laymen, only two leaders of orthodox Buddhist sects, Master Yin Shu and Master Xing Yun of Buddha’s Light International, have publicly rejected part of the Eight Garudhammas and other rules and teachings that imply that women are inferior to men and should be treated as such. Few other Buddhists in the country have made such public statements, or given vocal support to equal rights, opportunities, or status for women [11] . In many cases, women themselves have deep rooted feelings that they are inferior to men. They think that they cannot be in the same place as men are because they are more jealous, short tongued, evil, weak, vain, and ignorant and so on. This also makes it difficult to bring out this deep rooted feeling in women and establish a level of confidence in them. During his research, Goodwin found that this concept is changing very rapidly in Taiwan, especially in the young generations. They do not hold these negative views any more. There is also a growing consciousness within the Buddhist community that these negative teachings and unequal rules should be abandoned. This shows that the number of people supporting equality is on the rise. I think Dalai Lama’s effort to eliminate the discrimination of nuns should also be mentioned here. He says that this discrimination causes harm and should be abandoned. He has advocated that reforms should be made. We come to see that Tibetan Buddhism has moved forward in this context. Many of the Tibetan leaders have expressed a desire for improvement of the current conditions.

In the west, I can say that the situation is a bit better. Half of the teachers and leaders in western Buddhism are women. In the west, many view that Buddhist men and women are equal. They get equal opportunities. In Asia, however things are yet to change. The nuns here receive less education, respect, training and material support as compared to the monks. They have very little or no chance of advancement. In some of the countries, women are barred from entering shrines or temples. Not only so, even a monk who supports women of ordination may get severe punishment which can even result to his expulsion. This is a clear illustration to show that things are yet to be changed...............................This is the topic...........................https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation?paperid=75673

"I think Dalai Lama’s effort to eliminate the discrimination of nuns should also be mentioned here. "

Absolutely, I don't know how this thread has gone this far without it coming up.

Mention it, by all means mentions it.

2 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

The Dunning-Kruger effect, combined with desire to show off, and an overinflated ego.

A person who speaks Thai poorly is not in a position to judge how well he speaks Thai.

Hence numerous people who learned Thai as adults have the mistaken belief that they speak perfectly.

The probability that a person who learned a language as an adult has native level pronunciation approaches zero.

People who use Thai for purposes of communication (I myself use a mixture of Thaiglish, hand gestures and facial expressions) don't get shunned for using Thai; if anyone does it is people who are trying to show off their (questionable) Thai proficiency.

The OPs problem may be much simpler, "the guy who speaks Thai" may just be to identify him.

His real problem may just be poor personal hygiene.

As a rule of thumb for the OP, "by the time you smell yourself other people been smellin' you for 3 days".

What a truly dreadful post!

Absolutely nothing of intellectual note worth gleaning from it.

Really poor.

bob.

Just now, Dave0206 said:

I personally enjoy his posts and given the amount of pages of the responses he gets on many of the topics he starts AN would be a poorer site without his inputs (was this how you asked me to write bob ?)

All I do is post my true accounts of my daily life here. As I thought this was a farang forum about farangs lives then I thought I would share.

Some don't believe it because they're in denial or have just got off the plane..

Sadly, I can't do anything about that.

bob.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bob smith said:

All I do is post my true accounts of my daily life here. As I thought this was a farang forum about farangs lives then I thought I would share.

Some don't believe it because they're in denial or have just got off the plane..

Sadly, I can't do anything about that.

bob.

Last part only joking as I say carry on I always read your submissions and enjoy 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1