Nope...in the bin

bluejets

Guidance on dangerous goods, was issued by CAAT (Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand), on 4 May 2021, which forbids electronic shock weapons.

Seems the airlines are considering the mosquito racquets, to be a device that could possibly be converted into a weapon.

Plenty of videos online, on how to increase the power or turn them into a teaser type device. I have no idea if they work.

https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/50160

IMG_2320.jpeg

• Like 1

I brought them back to Australia

They checked my luggage, confiscated the 2 I brought back

And....issued me a written warning !

Just says they have recorded this against my name and in future I will be prosecuted in a Court as a criminal offence should I do this again 

Edited by georgegeorgia

I doubt if you could buy these in Australia (so they would be prohibited from import). Some toddler might stick his finger in it or maybe the method of death to mossies is considered cruel.

On 3/22/2024 at 1:00 PM, bluejets said:

Threw a couple of "Mozzie Zappers" ...tennis racquet type ...in the checked-in luggage in Udon Thani last week on our way down to Bkk before return to Aus next morning.

Waited for the displayed 5 minutes(plus some)where one needs to see if any checked-in luggage problems come up on the screen adjacent to the check-in counters(Thai Airways).

None came up in the allotted time (plus some).

Called back through security from upstairs about 15 minutes later to open the luggage.

Bloke pointed to the mozzie zappers and verdict seemed to be " no...cannot".

They have a rechargable battery inside about the size of a pea so that might have been the problem with checked-in.

Offered to stick in our carry-on but once again "no way bloke".

No point arguing so just agreed to bin them.

News to me, never had problem before.......maybe he needed a couple at home, who knows.

Also seems to be a lot of concern lately about any electronic devices such as laptops or carrying any batteries in carry-on luggage.

As far as I was aware and what is written on nearly all web sites for aviation, batteries up to a certain size "should be" in ones carry-on.

Qantas as well as Thai Airways I might add.

Perhaps a knee jerk reaction to the "smoke-up" some mob had a week or so ago on one flight.

I know Banggood no longer permit batteries be sent to Thailand so it could be one of those b/s things about to restrict even more our daily lives once again.

Batteries can explode and cause a fire .

How can that be considered bull<deleted>?

a lot of the cheaper mozzie zappers use crude lead acid type batteries that could leak acid as well as shorting and starting fires

better ones that use lithium i-on or even better replaceable lithium ion that uses common 18650 batteries you could find back home,

remove and take onboard or load them with luggage the racquet without the battery and they're harmless and replace with battery you can find back home

19 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I brought them back to Australia

They checked my luggage, confiscated the 2 I brought back

And....issued me a written warning !

Just says they have recorded this against my name and in future I will be prosecuted in a Court as a criminal offence should I do this again 

If you can't be bothered reading the regulations on prohibited imports, I would say you got off lightly.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, digbeth said:

a lot of the cheaper mozzie zappers use crude lead acid type batteries that could leak acid as well as shorting and starting fires

better ones that use lithium i-on or even better replaceable lithium ion that uses common 18650 batteries you could find back home,

remove and take onboard or load them with luggage the racquet without the battery and they're harmless and replace with battery you can find back home

Lead-acid batteries are used in vehicles. On average, they weigh 17 kg.

The typical dry cell battery is composed of a zinc anode and a carbon cathode with a paste of ammonium chloride as the electrolyte. No acid present.

An alkaline battery may leak alkali. It would not happen overnight.

Batteries are stored energy. A dry cell battery is normally rated at 400 - 900 milliampere hours. Lithium batteries range from 5 - 100 ampere hours, or even more.

Lithium batteries are much more of a fire risk because they contain lots more stored energy, and provide their own oxygen supply in the event they do catch fire.

A lithium battery fire burns at 2700 C, I have never heard of a D-cell doing that.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Lead-acid batteries are used in vehicles. On average, they weigh 17 kg.

If you have taken apart cheap chinese stuff like flashlights or mozzie zapper you'd know there are small 4v lead-acid battery with acid fill port even, often when the batteries 'dies' you could resurrect them by filling it with distilled water just like car battery, or even replace them, replacement are available online.

I'm sure they're made of the best quality chinese manufacturing and does not leak at all and won't burst open when taken into lower pressured atmosphere like say an airplane's cabin mid flight

spacer.png

better ones with 3.7v Lithium battery are available now but is more expensive, if you grab them off the market stall would you know?

On 3/22/2024 at 1:00 PM, bluejets said:

Also seems to be a lot of concern lately about any electronic devices such as laptops or carrying any batteries in carry-on luggage.

As far as I was aware and what is written on nearly all web sites for aviation, batteries up to a certain size "should be" in ones carry-on.

Qantas as well as Thai Airways I might add.

This is probably due to a recent case of a device with a battery that caught fire in the cabin.

I cannot remember too much about the details, but it was either in the overhead locker or the seat pocket depending on which article one read.

Cabin crew put out the fire ok.

Found a report here

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/spirit-airlines-overhead-bin-fire/index.html

Edited by Tropicalevo

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

If you have taken apart cheap chinese stuff like flashlights or mozzie zapper you'd know there are small 4v lead-acid battery with acid fill port even, often when the batteries 'dies' you could resurrect them by filling it with distilled water just like car battery, or even replace them, replacement are available online.

I'm sure they're made of the best quality chinese manufacturing and does not leak at all and won't burst open when taken into lower pressured atmosphere like say an airplane's cabin mid flight

spacer.png

better ones with 3.7v Lithium battery are available now but is more expensive, if you grab them off the market stall would you know?

I have never seen those, presumably the Chinese have stuck with them as the cheapest to source.

It's a bit hard to estimate their ampere hour capacity, and hence fire risk. Even at the low end of concentration, 15% sulphuric acid would not be doing anything good.

20 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I doubt if you could buy these in Australia (so they would be prohibited from import). Some toddler might stick his finger in it or maybe the method of death to mossies is considered cruel.

When we moved back to Oz I wished I had a couple of these mozzie zappers, but assumed they would be illegal here so didn't put any in our cargo. Imagine my shock (no pun intended) when I was waiting for the wife to finish her free English class at the local TAFE and I walked in to one of those cheapo shops with stuff from China, that was opposite the TAFE. First thing I saw near the door was a box those tennis-racquet-like devices, just as we had in Chiang Mai. I bought three, at $3 AUD (75 baht) each. They must not have passed customs - which doesn't surprise me. I got issue one of those 'warning notices' for "a military helmet with kevlar liner" found in our shipment. It was a 1965 Vietnam War era US helmet I bought in Udon. The liner is fibreglass - kevlar wasn't even invented back then. The idiots in Customs stole it from me, fullstop. They haven't got a clue. Many of my friends have had totally innocuous items confiscated. They can only search about one in thirty containers coming in and, Oz is awash with unsafe illegal cheap Chinese stuff, like the cap-guns I bought in the same shop. I use them to keep the crows off the veggie garden. Anyone wanting to buy a mozzie zapper in OZ, just ask your nearest big Asian food store. I've since seen them there too, but at $5 each. They had boxes of 'em. Whether they are legal though is another question....

• Like 1