UNSC passes resolutions ‘an immediate ceasefire’ 'unconditional release of hostages'

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course, israel has ignored the order. Did anyone expect it to obey?

As seen on Al Jazeera news this morning, and too soon for a link, but there is this from U tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttFuF4xJCQQ

By doing so, IMO it has openly declared that it isn't after the hostage release at all, which was conditional on a ceasefire.

Yes of course they would have obeyed, if both demands were linked. Ceasefire and Hostages released. It would have been a fantastic deal for them. 2 weeks ceasefire in return for all the hostages released with no other conditions attached aside from more humanitarian aid.

Now put that next to the separate hostage and prisoner exchange deal and ceasefire that's been discussed in Qatar for the last few weeks. I don't have to go through all the conditions that Hamas listed in that.

If you cant see the above you need another real dose of reality instead of blaming Israel and minimizing the atrocities and evil intent of Hamas all the time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We have reached the situation of beyond terrible now for those claiming everyone is well-fed Channel 4 has a harrowing video of a skeletal youth in this report and descriptions of utter horror of mass starvation. There's no off-ramp for Israel here, they have guaranteed their insecurity for the near to distant future. Those that say October 7th was the most terrible day in their history are quite right, and the blowback has contributed to the worst in Palestinian history. There's no turning the clock back, and both sides will live in utter hatred for each other, with all the ramifications that that implies. What is different this time is the world has turned against Israel, with even their friends shuddering at their Amelekian rage. Netanyahu has single-handedly destroyed their future.

Hamas have been ordered to release all hostages. This is the second UNSC resolution telling them to do that with no pre conditions. The ICJ also ordered them to do the same. 

So they have done 5e same thing now 3 times. Why aren’t you protesting about this? Do you really want a ceasefire. 

Sacrifice of the hostages and full scorched earth attack is what may be needed to rid the earth of hamas and the terror and hate that they hold so dear to them... according to the son of one of the leaders they still live in the 7th century and have no desire to become civilized.

23 hours ago, retarius said:

I am wondering whether we have any lawyers here who would know if the US keep providing arms that are used to slaughter civilians after this resolution is passed by UNSC (and ignored by Israel) does that put the US in legal jeopardy for war crimes?

It is a violation of International humanitarian law AND  US statutes to provide arms , even to a state which simply prevents the delivery of UN and US sponsored humanitarian aid let alone a state which brazenly commits the obvious plausible crimes that have been evident for months. Even if there were tribunals in the relevant venues of international justice convened regardless of their treaty obligations US, and Israel with full diplomatic cover from US would never allow their political leaders or military officers to be subject the jurisdiction thereof. And, any judgements or sentences produced would be ignored. Similarly UN resolutions are unenforceable.

It is “might makes rightand do as I say not as I do”. Now only cynically mentioning international law and international humanitarian law in the abstract when it aligns with their talking points and interests . 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't even know . what the function of the UN is  other than to justify actions. It is like a police force run by the major criminal families. 

Any decision made can only be ratified if approved by one of the families. 

So what is it it's function? I guess one can say it is a place where all member states have a representative and backroom deals can be made. 

But I fail to see , even the value of that. If one of the five families that can veto any decision wanted to make a backroom deal with any of the marks , I am sure they could easily find them where they live.

I guess the optics are nice. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm sorry to have to keep pointing this out, but short of israel removing all settlers from the West Bank, there is not enough land left to have a Palestinian state on, so the two state solution is a pointless talking point that can not happen, IMO.

What is not usually discussed is that if the West Bank became Palestinian, they would control most of the river water, and I can't see israel giving that up.

I agree with some of what you wrote above. My suggestion has always been a UN-enforced negotiation based on the 1948/1949 UN-suggested division of land between Israel and Palestine. Neither side would like that now, but I believe it's the only place to start. It would be ludicrous to start with the division as it is now. 

2 hours ago, coolcarer said:

Hamas have been ordered to release all hostages. This is the second UNSC resolution telling them to do that with no pre conditions. The ICJ also ordered them to do the same. 

So they have done 5e same thing now 3 times. Why aren’t you protesting about this? Do you really want a ceasefire. 

Why would you think if Haman UNCONDITIONALLY released all the hostages that there would be a ceasefire? I would expect if Hamas releases all the hostages, their only bargaining chip, the result would be an "increasefire." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Sacrifice of the hostages and full scorched earth attack is what may be needed to rid the earth of hamas and the terror and hate that they hold so dear to them... according to the son of one of the leaders they still live in the 7th century and have no desire to become civilized.

I agree with part of your post above, but have not thought it appropriate to share it on AseanNow up to now. However, since you brought it up with your "sacrifice of the hostages" remark above, I will.

If talks continue to break down, Hamas could start making and posting videos of them torturing and even killing a hostage. They could say they will do this to a hostage every day until Israel agrees to a prisoner exchange, a permanent ceasefire, a complete troop withdrawal, and a UN-based peacekeeping force put in place. Then, they would release all the hostages. They supposedly have over 300 hostages, so this could go on for almost a year. This would cause the Israeli public to put a lot of pressure on the Israeli government to come to an agreement.

• Like 1

Just now, WDSmart said:

I agree with part of your post above, but have not thought it appropriate to share it on AseanNow up to now. However, since you brought it up with your "sacrifice of the hostages" remark above, I will.

If talks continue to break down, Hamas could start making and posting videos of them torturing and even killing a hostage. They could say they will do this to a hostage every day until Israel agrees to a prisoner exchange, a permanent ceasefire, a complete troop withdrawal, and a UN-based peacekeeping force put in place. Then, they would release all the hostages. They supposedly have over 300 hostages, so this could go on for almost a year. This would cause the Israeli public to put a lot of pressure on the Israeli government to come to an agreement.

Hence the "sacrifice" part of the equation... does Israel have the fortitude to allow it if it means getting rid of Hamas once and for all

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Hence the "sacrifice" part of the equation... does Israel have the fortitude to allow it if it means getting rid of Hamas once and for all

I wouldn't call that "fortitude," more like "disparagment," but I agree with the rest of your statement.

58 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

Why would you think if Haman UNCONDITIONALLY released all the hostages that there would be a ceasefire? I would expect if Hamas releases all the hostages, their only bargaining chip, the result would be an "increasefire." 

I don’t think there would be a ceasefire, I know there would be a ceasefire. As per the UN orders, 2 weeks ceasefire and all hostages released. Great deal for Israel, they can then get on with the job of eliminating the remaining terrorists. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, WDSmart said:

I agree with some of what you wrote above. My suggestion has always been a UN-enforced negotiation based on the 1948/1949 UN-suggested division of land between Israel and Palestine. Neither side would like that now, but I believe it's the only place to start. It would be ludicrous to start with the division as it is now. 

I'd like to agree with you but IMO the reality is that israel will only evacuate the west bank under force, and I can't see any country willing to do so. It's not as though a large part of israelis want to give up the West Bank- they don't.

I hate to say this, but IMO the only way for Gazans to save themselves is to become refugees, but they will never be allowed to return. Then of course it'll probably be the same for West Bank Palestinians.

The end result will likely be a large Palestinian population living in Jordan and Lebanon, taking revenge on israelis every time an opportunity presents itself. Israelis only have themselves to blame for the forever war that will follow ethnic cleansing.

They say revenge is best supped cold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't even know . what the function of the UN is  other than to justify actions. It is like a police force run by the major criminal families. 

IMO it was set up to give other countries an illusion of participation, but keeping the power for those with the veto.

The security council needs to be abolished, IMO, if the UN is to do what it is supposed to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Israel has no interest in releasing the hostages and only use this issue as an excuse to continue its ongoing plausible genocide.

Israel killed a lot of their own hostages either by shooting them directly while attempting to escape or via helicopter attacks while being taken to Gaza on 7 October. 

It's quite naive to think that if Hamas to release all hostages, then the war would end. Israel has said repeatedly that they will keep going until 'the job is done'.

The new superb and well researched and balanced documentary 'October 7 | Al Jazeera Investigations' has fascinating facts supported by irrefutable evidence about many lies that have been intentionally spread around by Israel about what really happened that day.

All, especially pro-Israel, must watch this documentary if they have not done so already to see some of the truth about Israel's tactics and lies. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Once again I have to disagree with you. IMO all that would do is make the israelis do the same to Palestinian prisoners, probably 10 for one.

I think netanyahu has given up any idea of rescuing the hostages, if he ever did. IMO he just wants to get on with the real slaughter.

Seems a few on here would cheer him on.

I've an idea, instead of murdering the hostages why don't they release them then surrender and may be the "slaughtering" would cease. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Danny Australia said:

Israel has no interest in releasing the hostages and only use this issue as an excuse to continue its ongoing plausible genocide.

Israel killed a lot of their own hostages either by shooting them directly while attempting to escape or via helicopter attacks while being taken to Gaza on 7 October. 

It's quite naive to think that if Hamas to release all hostages, then the war would end. Israel has said repeatedly that they will keep going until 'the job is done'.

The new superb and well researched and balanced documentary 'October 7 | Al Jazeera Investigations' has fascinating facts supported by irrefutable evidence about many lies that have been intentionally spread around by Israel about what really happened that day.

All, especially pro-Israel, must watch this documentary if they have not done so already to see some of the truth about Israel's tactics and lies. 

Quite right to, you don't put out only 80% of a fire

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

Columbian President Gustavo Petro made a post yesterday on X, saying, "If Israel doesn't comply with the United Nations ceasefire resolution, we will break diplomatic ties with Israel,".

Foreign Minister for Israel Katz blasted Gustavo’s call to cut ties, writing on X that Gustavo’s support for “the Hamas murderers who carried out terrible acts of slaughter and sexual crimes against babies, women and adults is a disgrace to the Colombian people.”

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Danny Australia said:

Typical tactics of the Pariah state to shoot the messenger and intentionally ignore the message.  The brave Colombian president was specifically talking about complying with UNSC ceasefire resolution. Israelis instead of addressing this topic opted to repeat their lies about dead babies and unsubstantiated sexual crimes. Al Jazeera documentary completely destroyed the lies about dead babies and not The brave Colombian president. Israel is refusing access to UN agencies to properly investigate those allegations for obvious reasons.

The criminal state of Israel is the one killing babies and women every single hour. The horrible crimes all over the internet.  

Your on a different planet, away with the fairies and Al Jazeera. The UN has investigated, there is a whole topic on it and a 24 page report.

The United Nations has released a report indicating evidence of rape and sexual abuse during the October 7 Hamas onslaught against southern Israel. The report, presented by Pramila Patten, the UN special representative on sexual violence in conflict, at a press conference in New York, outlines disturbing findings based on extensive evidence-gathering efforts.

According to the 24-page report, there is "clear and convincing" information suggesting that sexual violence, including rape, sexualized torture, and other forms of abuse, was committed against hostages held in captivity by Hamas in Gaza. Moreover, there are "reasonable grounds" to believe that such violence is ongoing against those still held captive.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1321564-un-finds-evidence-of-rape-on-oct-7-and-after-israel-they-tried-to-downplay-issue/

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Gaza war: UN rights expert accuses Israel of acts of genocide (bbc.com)

UN human rights expert Francesca Albanese, the UN special rapporteur on human rights in the occupied Palestinian territories says in her report presented to UN member states in Geneva on Tuesday that she believes Israel has committed "acts of genocide" in Gaza.

Won’t take long before the pariah state commences the usual character assassination of any critic by calling her anti-Semite, pro Hamas bla bla bla  

• Agree 2