Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signs bill bans under 14 from having social media accounts

Social Media

image.png

In a bold move aimed at safeguarding the well-being of young users online, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has signed into law a bill that prohibits children under the age of 14 from accessing social media platforms within the state. The legislation, known as HB3, also mandates that individuals aged 14 or 15 must obtain parental consent before creating accounts on social media platforms.

This groundbreaking bill further directs social media companies to delete existing accounts belonging to individuals under the age of 14. Failure to comply with this provision could result in legal action against the companies, with potential damages of up to $10,000 per affected minor. Additionally, companies found in violation of the law could face fines of up to $50,000 per offense, along with covering attorney fees and court costs.

During the bill-signing ceremony, Governor DeSantis emphasized the importance of supporting parents in navigating the complex landscape of raising children in the digital age. He expressed gratitude for the efforts invested in crafting the legislation, highlighting its role in addressing the challenges faced by families in ensuring the online safety of their children.

This legislative move comes amidst a broader national conversation surrounding the regulation of social media platforms, particularly concerning their impact on children's safety and mental well-being. Concerns raised by parents and advocacy groups have prompted lawmakers to take action, with initiatives such as the Kids Online Safety Act (KOSA) seeking to hold platforms accountable for content that may negatively affect minors' mental health.

The implementation of HB3, scheduled to take effect in January 2025, underscores Florida's commitment to prioritizing child safety in the digital realm. Supporters of the law, including Florida House Speaker Paul Renner, argue that unrestricted social media use can pose significant risks to children, ranging from potential exposure to harmful content to the risk of communication with online predators.

However, the legislation is expected to face legal challenges, as seen in other states that have enacted similar measures to regulate teen social media use. NetChoice LLC, a coalition representing major social media platforms, has previously challenged such laws, raising concerns about their potential impact on free speech and digital innovation.

Despite potential legal hurdles, proponents of HB3 remain steadfast in their belief that proactive measures are necessary to protect young users from the potential harms associated with unrestricted social media access. As debates over online safety continue to unfold nationwide, Florida's new law represents a significant step towards empowering parents and promoting a safer digital environment for children.

Source

image.png

• Haha 1

Good move - too many gullible kids & predators....

I just had to curtail hours for our mid teenager......She was getting pulled into late PM to overnight activities/groups being the norm.....

Edited by pgrahmm

If Gov Ron is to be believed, it seems federal law already bans 13 and under from having their own account.  Sounds like that means Florida is just agreeing, with a state law that they can enforce if the Feds won't enforce the federal laws.  Also, doesn't ban kiddos from social media.  Just having their own account.  Parents are free to open an account for them to use, which seems pretty reasonable to allow parents to decide what's best for their kids.

In any case, agree or disagree, I always think it's a good idea to get it from the horse's mouth before condemning the guy.  Also understanding that he just signed the law.  The Florida legislature passed it.

The title of the video is misleading (though I found it great that Florida is severely curtailing squatters' rights).  One more reason I like DeSantis, though he comes across as a plank of wood.  Probably also why Florida is among the states with the fastest growing populations.

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6349837857112

It's taken me a while but I have found a cunning way for a 13 year to circumvent the law.

When signing up for a social media account say you are 15.

I thank-you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Excellent move. Kids that age should be out playing, not hiding in their bedrooms talking to fake friends on line.

But there's no money in letting kids do healthy stuff like on the playground...