That damned Microsoft Edge

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 9:26 AM, tgw said:

To support independent browsers and privacy, I suggest everyone should use Firefox

I actually use "gostery" on my mobile phone. I never see pop ups or ads when i use it.

At home on my desktops and laptops i have chrome as my go to and firefox for video downloading with an extendion called "video downloader"

Edited by Pouatchee

On 3/31/2024 at 8:46 PM, Pouatchee said:

entirely your prerogative. sorry i will not do the same as you. it runs in the task manager gobbliing cpu and ram etc... to each his own ... 

Maybe just think about buying a PC that can handle a small amount of active tasks without failing in speed and other areas. Can´t use Pentium II 233 Mhz no more. 😉 

Edited by Gottfrid

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Maybe just think about buying a PC that can handle a small amount of active tasks without failing in speed and other areas. Can´t use Pentium II 233 Mhz no more. 😉 

555 i actually have i 9 processor, 64 gig ram and excellent gpu. I just hate edge and the fact that it reinstalled all the time despite being uninstalled.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

OP ...   do you want to install the latest Microsoft Edge  ?

I will send you the link 

Nah... i can find that myself if needs be...

On 3/31/2024 at 9:21 PM, Serenity_Now said:

its not really recommended but if you wanna  
here goes

1. **Right-Click Method:**
   - Right-click on the start menu.
   - Choose "PowerShell As Admin" (for Windows 10) or "Windows Terminal As Admin" (for Windows 11).

2. **Search and Launch Method:**
   - Press the Windows key.
   - Type "PowerShell" or "Terminal" (for Windows 11).
   - Press `Ctrl + Shift + Enter` to launch it with administrator privileges.

### Launch Command

#### Simple way

copy paste this line in power shell..........
iwr -useb https://christitus.com/win | iex

whats going to happen is it will open a tweak online program totally safe

you have two options for EDGE you cn just uninstall OR go to the TWEAKS page and totally remove it
but this gives you a lot of options
installs other software for you give it a go have a look
it will open this

tweaks.jpg

i use Chris' debloat tool on every windows installation, it is the first thing i do after installing drivers and updates, been using it for years.
your screen is an old though i think, as the O&O shutup now has a button and you can select what you want O&O to disable, not just the recommended settings

see

image.png.082bf1f2f6c9ef98f585cc06382921d1.png

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

555 i actually have i 9 processor, 64 gig ram and excellent gpu. I just hate edge and the fact that it reinstalled all the time despite being uninstalled.

I get you, but then you just can´t have problem with capacity. Same with me, I have an overkill machine.

We can say like this, as Edge is an integral part of Windows, it can actually not be removed due to that other applications can suffer for such action. However, there are some fixes out online that can permanently disable Edge. Just search for permanently disable Microsoft Edge. For some it has been working, for other error message and not working.

11 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

it can actually not be removed due to that other applications can suffer for such action.

i have been uninstalling it for 2 years now. i use office and so far nothing has gone wrong. widows defender is ok, updates ok... all is fine... 

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

i have been uninstalling it for 2 years now. i use office and so far nothing has gone wrong. widows defender is ok, updates ok... all is fine... 

Yes, you can temporary uninstall, but not permanently. It always comes back. Something that means the program is somehow active in background and still have it´s settings saved.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:26 AM, tgw said:

EDGE is actually a good browser.

It is fast, very RFC-compatible and way less resource hungry than Chrome, as well as way less intrusive to the user's privacy than Chrome.

To support independent browsers and privacy, I suggest everyone should use Firefox.

I have been very happy with Brave and Opera.

On 8/7/2024 at 2:57 PM, Gottfrid said:

Yes, you can temporary uninstall, but not permanently. It always comes back. Something that means the program is somehow active in background and still have it´s settings saved.

There is a registry setting that you can set that should stop it coming back. Has worked for me since the original posting.

8 minutes ago, topt said:

There is a registry setting that you can set that should stop it coming back. Has worked for me since the original posting.

i tried different registry settings in regedit and it did not work.

i just did what i wrote in my earlier post this week and magic... for now

2 hours ago, topt said:

Ok, and if it has worked for you, why not share the registry setting?

8 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, and if it has worked for you, why not share the registry setting?

I believe it was included in at least one of the links I gave originally.

A search will find a number of sites many of which give the same information.

Here is one -

https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge/

Follow all the steps. The last step in setting the new registry key should stop it coming back.

However I also purged a lot of entries from the registry and file system without any issues. YMMV

4 hours ago, topt said:

I believe it was included in at least one of the links I gave originally.

A search will find a number of sites many of which give the same information.

Here is one -

https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge/

Follow all the steps. The last step in setting the new registry key should stop it coming back.

However I also purged a lot of entries from the registry and file system without any issues. YMMV

Ok! Must have missed that. On the other way, I do not have a reason to delete it, but it looks like it´s correct and should work.