Charges against officials relating to “Tak Bai Incident” in 2004 to be filed in April

webfact

image.png

Criminal charges will be filed by the end of April in Narathiwat against nine government officials, allegedly responsible for the bloody crackdown on Muslim protesters in the “Tak Bai Incident” in 20 years ago.

A network of lawyers, representing the Muslim Attorney Centre Foundation, the Cross Cultural Foundation, the Justice and Reconciliation Centre of Southern Provinces and the Lawyer Council of Thailand, had previously planned to file charges of illegal detention, murder and negligence on Monday, but they decided to postpone the filing until the end of April because some of their witnesses are not either ready or remain in Malaysia.

The incident occurred on October 25, 2004 during a protest by some 1,500 Malay Muslims, in front of the Tak Bai district police station in Narathiwat, against the detention of six men.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-04-01

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Confused 2

This is a surprise.  You-know-who is back in LOS and he really really does not like this topic.  Shortly after it, as he headed to an ASEAN meeting, he said "if there is any mention of Tak Bai I'm walking out."

He explained it away as the casualties were caused by bullets that were fired into the sky then fell back to Earth.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Criminal charges will be filed by the end of April in Narathiwat against nine government officials, allegedly responsible for the bloody crackdown on Muslim protesters in the “Tak Bai Incident” in 20 years ago.

What?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.png

A network of lawyers, representing the Muslim Attorney Centre Foundation, the Cross Cultural Foundation, the Justice and Reconciliation Centre of Southern Provinces and the Lawyer Council of Thailand, had previously planned to file charges of illegal detention, murder and negligence on Monday, but they decided to postpone the filing until the end of April because some of their witnesses are not either ready or remain in Malaysia.

The incident occurred on October 25, 2004 during a protest by some 1,500 Malay Muslims, in front of the Tak Bai district police station in Narathiwat, against the detention of six men.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-04-01

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

the biggest culprit, the one who should take responsibility for once, he's just released from hospital/prison...

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, khunpeer said:

the biggest culprit, the one who should take responsibility for once, he's just released from hospital/prison...

And the little fat one Prawit, Typical Thailand  all smoke ( nothing will happen)

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I visited the Tak Bai district police station about 10 years back. 

They had a wall of random objects like desks, chairs mixed in with barbed wire, covering the front area of the station. But otherwise, there was nothing strange about the village. The only police officer I saw was jovially chatting to locals at a nearby crossroads.

Should you be interested, I can recommend the astonishingly beautiful beach nearby.

• Confused 1

If you've traveled by bus in Hat Yai you may have noticed the bus terminal has a wall around it.  Up until the time of the unrest down there it was completely open.

One day a bomb went off in the downtown area, I had been around there a half-hour before.

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

They wasted no time on that one.

"had previously planned to file charges of illegal detention, murder and negligence on Monday, but they decided to postpone the filing until the end of April because some of their witnesses are not either ready or remain in Malaysia. "

So some are still not quite ready after 20 years.

13 hours ago, soalbundy said:

They wasted no time on that one.

Good to see prompt action on such a serious matter.  Just imagine if it were a trivial matter to some???

Nothing would happen for 20 odd years.......... Or am I missing something.

Please.................. my comment is washed and dripping in sarcasm

19 hours ago, bendejo said:

This is a surprise.  You-know-who is back in LOS and he really really does not like this topic.  Shortly after it, as he headed to an ASEAN meeting, he said "if there is any mention of Tak Bai I'm walking out."

He explained it away as the casualties were caused by bullets that were fired into the sky then fell back to Earth.

You mean like a wedding ?Unbelievable!

2 hours ago, tmd5855 said:

Good to see prompt action on such a serious matter.  Just imagine if it were a trivial matter to some???

Nothing would happen for 20 odd years.......... Or am I missing something.

Please.................. my comment is washed and dripping in sarcasm

My guess is that Big Boss is trying to clear his name by hanging the incident on his then-underlings; as they would say in corporate hierarchy "what have they done for me lately?"  Maybe he fears the International Criminal Court (aka The Hague) will be paying a visit, and places Boss in the same category as those guys in Myanmar.  Will he be officially put in a position of power or just be the hand up the puppet's ass ?

Jack Smith, the one in the US investigating their former president, was previously working a case in The Hague involving incidents that took place in Kosovo 20 years before, so yeah, waiting 20 years for this one to ripen sounds about right.  (Not to digress or discourage, but I see it as quite feasible that US case will not be settled in this decade.)

• Agree 1