Jail time to return for Cannabis players as PM describes the trade as a threat to Thailand

webfact

20 hours ago, nausea said:

The truth is this liberalisation threatens a lucrative income stream. 

This hits the nail on the head. The big players didn't anticipate this taking off so quickly and tapping into the main revenue stream. Feeling left behind, they now want their "fair" share of the profits from the business. They aim to backtrack the progress made, allowing them to regain control of the dispensaries or at least secure a significant stake in the "pie."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

So when does the crackdown come? The PM earlier suggested the end of the year would see the end of recreational use announced or enforced. Is that date likely to be brought forward? (I fear anything involving drugs that Thaksin is behind)

Edited by Spock

On 4/1/2024 at 6:46 AM, ezzra said:

What a BS of a PM, just the look of him makes me sick, he's got the look of ' I'll show you all what I think of you all,

you bad people' ...

another mentally challenged person, wasnt even voted in junta lacky

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about no drugs and no religion?

Not because it is forbidden, but because people don't want it. Now that would be progress.

Sounds like a John Lennon lyric.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

I suppose this is on the orders of Uncle Tony yet here we have Germany making it legal once again Thailand flip  flops as per normal

The big difference is that the Germans thought long and hard what they wanted and possible consequences. And then they allowed it - with attached rules, to make sure there are mostly benefits and not more problems.

But obviously that way of doing things is not Thai style. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, riclag said:

5 pages of comments  about adults selfish concerns of losing their recreational 

drug  privileges.

Very little concern for the children who are the ones who suffer from the negative consequences of weed in this society that cant even regulate 

proper road rules!

In case you didnt notice the Government wants to shut weed down because of the probable effects it will have on their kids.

"Without the law to regulate cannabis it will be misused," Cholnan said on Wednesday, referring to recreational use. "The misuse of cannabis has a negative impact on Thai children," he added. "In the long run it could lead to other drugs."
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-ban-recreational-cannabis-use-by-year-end-says-health-minister-2024-02-29/#:~:text="Without the law to regulate,could lead to other drugs."

Bit like the alcohol sales hours then. Close sales window during 2pm to 5pm because kids come out of school, and in every other country in the world, kids automatically head to the off licence for their hooch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

If it’s banned and Reform say they will reintroduce it if they win the next election it’s sure to be a vote winner for them since Uncle Tony returned from his fugitive years everything seems to being reversed and the good folk of Thailand who were all promised 10,000 baht last year are still waiting on what could be another broken promise 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Who knows if anything is real these days. Certainly you can never trust any photo now. And today I was sent this AI-generated video of Trump. 

That is so funny, You made my day !!!

The voice is perfect but the images show the doctoring specially on the lips,....

Undoubtedly AI is going to be very dangerous for democracy in the coming months !!! 

Thank you for posting

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2024 at 9:55 AM, TheFishman1 said:

Does this seem spineless? It was just me or is he like clueless? Who do you think is really pulling all the strings here TIT

Hm,....I would say the ex Dubai man,....

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

So you're saying "the children" were safe right up until 9 June 2022, and then - boom - they started suffering.

And please do not invoke the "gateway drug" argument. Thailand blew through the gateway years ago, and is now massively addicted to methamphetamine, with crystal meth and ketamine making a surge. An Opioid crisis is probably 2 ~ 3 years out.

Drowning is the leading cause of premature death here in children 15 and under.

Is anyone leading the charge to make water illegal?

If cannabis cannot be controlled, thereby limiting access by children, then nothing can, and yet, the "government" is keen on controlling vapes, ecigs, alcohol, gambling, and tobacco.

And the cost of decent cannabis is far outside the reach of 80% of "the youths", who prefer meth, or a happy water cocktail. 

You’re a Progressive! Weed is a mind 

altering drug! Many Progressives , like the recreational use .

In the hands of the gullible , uninformed, uneducated young children in Thailand it could have devastating effects!

Im thinking ,Its their country stop with trying to make it look like the country isnt deserving of the right to rethink whats good  for the future of their kids.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, samtam said:

Bit like the alcohol sales hours then. Close sales window during 2pm to 5pm because kids come out of school, and in every other country in the world, kids automatically head to the off licence for their hooch.

I’d be first to agree with having alcohol sales between two & Five!

During my day ive done all manner of mind altering chemicals and much more in the USA, Jsyk.

Thailands Government has  a right to rethink mind altering Weed, especially when it comes to kids.

• Confused 3

44 minutes ago, riclag said:

I’d be first to agree with having alcohol sales between two & Five!

During my day ive done all manner of mind altering chemicals and much more in the USA, Jsyk.

Thailands Government has  a right to rethink mind altering Weed, especially when it comes to kids.

Then we agree. But the correlation between control and kids is a stretch, IMO. I do however think that the initial rollout of the cannabis decriminalisation here was ill-conceived, in that there is no regulation on the strength and measurement of THC content available. That is the bit they needed to get right first. But it would have required planning and a means to test. Just as with alcohol being at a maximum of 40% proof, in the case of cannabis, it's dangerously unregulated. One shop I've bought from would only sell CBD products, another THC, and the gummies were far too strong, even in miniscule quantities. A spliff from another shop that someone brought one evening, had me in the death throes after one drag. I wouldn't go anywhere near it again here.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Most Thai's are horrible alcoholics, this should be addressed also. Treating the populace like children banning sale of alcohol during the middle of the day further goes to prove how those in charge view their subjects.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Ouch. He’s still getting ripped by the people and those in the government for these statements. Kind of hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube. It’s even harder when the economy is now depending on it as well. I’d be very worried about another coup and rioting if they took it away, too many people would have way too much to lose. 

• Agree 1

Have you noticed the one thing that all these old politicians (politicians in general, to be honest) have in common?

They're literally out of touch with reality. They don't even understand how their own people live. They're living a life away FAR from the same people who are funding their salary.

It's as if they're not even aware of what's happening in the world at all.

And of course they're doing all that while robbing their own.

Edited by shocky2012
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 6:55 AM, bamnutsak said:

...to a foreign news outlet.

Has he said similar things in the Thai press?

Weird move, but he is incompetent when dealing with the non-Thai press. He should have moved quickly off the cannabis topic, unless this was his major message.

IMO he talks too much. Work with Parliament to pass a Cannabis Control Act, if he is sincere.

He's not much better when it comes to the local press either...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

A little proactive thinking when making new Cannabis laws would have helped to avoid the issue Thailand has now with Cannabis .

My personal opinion   ,  at this point of things , let the market regulate it self . A lot of shops will close anyway . A few professionals will stay open and business as usual.

Alcohol,  Junk Food , Tobacco , various synthetic drugs , are far worst drugs to take care about than Cannabis .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile the rest of the world has embraced it and put people to work expanded there economy especially during these uncertain global economic times right now,Yet a drunk driver drinking alcahol kills a police officer in Bangkok.  Antiquated PM Dinasaur WAKE UP !!

Edited by Robert Tyrrell
spell check :)
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1