Thailand Vigilant Amid Japan's "Flesh-Eating" Disease Surge

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Disease Control (DDC) has assured the Thai public that no instances of necrotizing fasciitis, a dangerous bacterial infection often referred to as a "flesh-eating" disease, have been reported in Thailand this year.

The announcement comes amidst a concerning rise in cases in Japan, where health authorities are examining the potential link between the uptick and the recent relaxation of COVID-19 precautions. 

The DDC highlighted the effectiveness of COVID-19 measures in also preventing such bacterial infections, noting that over 200 types of bacteria could cause necrotizing fasciitis, with Group A Streptococcus being the most prevalent.

Statistics from the DDC show that Thailand witnessed a total of 106,021 cases of necrotizing fasciitis from 2019 to the end of last year, resulting in 1,048 fatalities. Despite this, the incidence rate saw a decline to 27.35 per 100,000 people in 2023, with cases typically peaking between June and July. Treatment usually involves hospital care, antibiotics, and sometimes surgery to combat the swiftly spreading infection.

In monitoring diseases, Thailand’s surveillance system includes scarlet fever, a symptom of Group A Strep infection, under the Communicable Diseases Act of 2015. While scarlet fever itself is not harmful, officials said it could signal more severe conditions such as necrotizing fasciitis or toxic shock syndrome, which can be deadly without prompt treatment. 

by Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 2024-04-01

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

The Department of Disease Control (DDC) has assured the Thai public that no instances of necrotizing fasciitis, a dangerous bacterial infection often referred to as a "flesh-eating" disease, have been reported in Thailand this year.

Oh man.  They just jinxed it.  Time to stock up before the run on antibiotics?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The DDC highlighted the effectiveness of COVID-19 measures in also preventing such bacterial infections,

Which is around zero at the moment.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The announcement comes amidst a concerning rise in cases in Japan, where health authorities are examining the potential link between the uptick and the recent relaxation of COVID-19 precautions. 

These 2 are not even closely related. Relaxation of Covid precautions means not mandating the wearing of masks. But the flesh eating bacteria is caused by activating germs already present in the skin due to hygiene or something in the air. 

Perhaps they are trying to reinstate Covid measures for another reason by utilizing this infection as an excuse. 

I lived in Laos for 6 months. Every month there I developed this flesh eating infection on many places in my body. That happened every month until I left that country and came to Thailand. As soon as i left the country the infections ceased. No other infections have occured while in Thailand either for many many years.