Best new Mini PC for the baht?

Furioso

18 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The primary advantage of buying bare-bones and buying the components separately is that you can buy whatever brand and model components you like, you don't get cheap RAM or drives and whatnot. 

It goes together pretty much like Legos for 3 to 5-year-olds. 

Yes I know that, I have built several Tower PCs, and NUCs. As you say, it is easy these days.

Installling an OS (W11) is pretty straight forward as well.

But asking again about any International warranty. If one of the components does fail, which is most unlikely but possible, who and how would it get fixed? 

On 4/1/2024 at 8:41 PM, Furioso said:

Thanks, tbh the CPU is probably too slow for what I'm looking for. Plus I'd like to avoid HDD's from here on out. I appreciate your input though!

Read Yellowtail's invoice again. It is an SSD he bought. 

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes I know that, I have built several Tower PCs, and NUCs. As you say, it is easy these days.

Installling an OS (W11) is pretty straight forward as well.

But asking again about any International warranty. If one of the components does fail, which is most unlikely but possible, who and how would it get fixed? 

I would take it to the manufacturer's warranty center in Bangkok, just like you would likely have to do if you bought it on Lazada, assuming it was not DOA. 

On 4/1/2024 at 8:22 PM, Yellowtail said:

I have an Intel NUC11PAHI7 with 64gb Crucial DDR4 3200 ram and 2X2tb Samsung HD with Win 11 pro I got in Jan '23 that's been great. It was $1,224 delivered from B & H in the US. 

nuc | B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

Not exactly the same, but near enough. $965 from Invade. W11 is free from Microsoft.

image.png

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Question about the Mini PC

what is the direct connected Ethernet speed, I ask because on the TV box  [Android 10] it is low 100 mbps max

I have always got speeds of 960 - 980 Mpbs connection  on my Desktop will I get this on a Mini PC ?

Thinking about a Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H or  AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS,

or stick with a New Desktop Ryzen 5 7600 or 8500 all around the same price range.?

My AMD FX built just before the floods, is very old, needs replacing

Edited by ignis

7 minutes ago, ignis said:

what is the direct connected Ethernet speed, I ask because on the TV box  [Android 10] it is low 100 mbps max

I have always got speeds of 960 - 980 Mpbs connection  on my Desktop will I get this on a Mini PC ?

or stick with a New Desktop Ryzen 5 7600 or 8500 all around the same price range.?

I have a low-spec Intel NUC mini pc. It has a Gigabit ethernet port. Make sure you check the config of your chosen device to confirm it has a Gigabit port before you buy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I have a low-spec Intel NUC mini pc. It has a Gigabit ethernet port. Make sure you check the config of your chosen device to confirm it has a Gigabit port before you buy.

Many thanks

See some with 'Dual Gigabit Ethernet '

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ignis said:

Can only report get full speed using BMAX B3 571/577 Mpbs now on what believe is 500 internet (old 50 Mbps plan True increased speed in March - but same contract).

a12eb12a8f9cb530ad43d29aee7d94e1.jpg

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Can only report get full speed using BMAX B3 571/577 Mpbs now on what believe is 500 internet (old 50 Mbps plan True increased speed in March - but same contract).

a12eb12a8f9cb530ad43d29aee7d94e1.jpg

Don't know anything about Intel..

35 odd years Every PC and Laptops I've had were AMD

Posted (edited)

Always think it's funny to read these type of topics, as I one was this hardcore seller for Lenovo and Dell. After i quit that job, I got a new job that came with a Macbook Air, never looked back ever since.

Why I am saying this? Because windows seem to always have bigger and bigger hardware, insane amounts of memory, to then still be slower than my Macbook with like 1/3rd of those specs. Yeah unless it's like a heavy thing, but then I could also go for a macbook pro and still beat it.

And this usually while we talk about 1-2 versions earlier even in terms of the model. So even a second/third hand mac is often a better deal in 2024. I think these new Mac Mini's with the M1 processor in it already, are only like 20-30K baht new. About to buy one for a permanent home computer.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 8:58 AM, ignis said:

Don't know anything about Intel..

35 odd years Every PC and Laptops I've had were AMD

Well, you seemed to know they sold processors...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Always think it's funny to read these type of topics, as I one was this hardcore seller for Lenovo and Dell. After i quit that job, I got a new job that came with a Macbook Air, never looked back ever since.

Why I am saying this? Because windows seem to always have bigger and bigger hardware, insane amounts of memory, to then still be slower than my Macbook with like 1/3rd of those specs. Yeah unless it's like a heavy thing, but then I could also go for a macbook pro and still beat it.

And this usually while we talk about 1-2 versions earlier even in terms of the model. So even a second/third hand mac is often a better deal in 2024. I think these new Mac Mini's with the M1 processor in it already, are only like 20-30K baht new. About to buy one for a permanent home computer.

I don't know, it seems to me Mac's are a trap. Yes, the cheapest way into the Apple world is the Mac Mini M2 but you get very little with the base model. Plus, whatever model you buy you're stuck, you can't upgrade. So, just to get started with the Mac Mini is going to cost close to 30,000 baht you can buy 2 decent Mini PC's for that along with the ability to upgrade. Mac Mini Wifi is notoriously spotty/horrible as well. 

Mac's a Trap. 

Edited by Furioso
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Well, you seemed to know they sold processors...

No a good friend worked for Fairchild  so was given a box, i mean a box + tiny monitor on top, as for HDD ha ha was a 8" floppy

+ a book of code.. just messed about with it, forever getting the code wrong so odd things came up..  I did get a game to play took a long time + needed many big floppy disks just to play  a game

I bought from a shop AMD in 1995 came with HDD of 1.3 GB swapped it a year latter with then a  Large HDD of 3.4 GB + had a normal 5" floppy disk, did not even have a land line so no internet back then

How times have changed in only 30 odd years

Mac Mini at the Central Apple Store, Bangkok. Nothing to beat it. Still have one that is 9 years old and still running. Ok the memory grilled after 7 years but thank god had a basic time machine backup so had it repaired and still going. However it's does have some new glitches on the graphics I guess. So if your Mac Mini starts to trouble, I would rather get a new one and not waste money in getting in repaired IMHO.

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

best mini pc?    my phone

Get back to us when you can hook up a full size keyboard, a 40" FHD monitor and half a dozen storage devices to your phone, and watch movies from across the room.  Easy peasy with a mini...

To the Mac fans.  I get it.  I almost cried back in the '90s when my employer went from Mac to Windows (Because Win graphics got good enough to compete with Mac.  Not as good as, just good enough).  But $ thousands of Win software and thousands of hours learning the Win OS and its iterations, and those programs makes it tough to go back now that I'm not on a company computer.  As appealing as it is...

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Mac Mini at the Central Apple Store, Bangkok. Nothing to beat it. Still have one that is 9 years old and still running. Ok the memory grilled after 7 years but thank god had a basic time machine backup so had it repaired and still going. However it's does have some new glitches on the graphics I guess. So if your Mac Mini starts to trouble, I would rather get a new one and not waste money in getting in repaired IMHO.

Did look  but cannot justify  paying ฿45,900.00 for a new one even a second hand one cost 20,000  + odd baht @  https://www.mac2hand.com/

+ then try to learn to use it at my age.

From what I could tell the M1 was the Intel version, discontinued long ago, there own  'ARM'  CPU = M2 and M3 are far better and so is the price

Edited by ignis

1 hour ago, ignis said:

No a good friend worked for Fairchild  so was given a box, i mean a box + tiny monitor on top, as for HDD ha ha was a 8" floppy

+ a book of code.. just messed about with it, forever getting the code wrong so odd things came up..  I did get a game to play took a long time + needed many big floppy disks just to play  a game

I bought from a shop AMD in 1995 came with HDD of 1.3 GB swapped it a year latter with then a  Large HDD of 3.4 GB + had a normal 5" floppy disk, did not even have a land line so no internet back then

How times have changed in only 30 odd years

You had a PC in 1995 that came with a with a 1.3 GB HDD? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Did look  but cannot justify  paying ฿45,900.00 for a new one even a second hand one cost 20,000  + odd baht @  https://www.mac2hand.com/

+ then try to learn to use it at my age.

From what I could tell the M1 was the Intel version, discontinued long ago, there own  'ARM'  CPU = M2 and M3 are far better and so is the price

If you can manage in Thailand through all the immigration hassles at your age, I am convinced that using a latest generation MAC MINI will be very easy for you. Good luck in your research and hope you find what suits you.

1 minute ago, Screaming said:

Nice, I like these mini PCs and B&H has always shipped good quality material for me.

They've been good to me for over twenty years. 

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You had a PC in 1995 that came with a with a 1.3 GB HDD? 

if I remember it was 1.2xxx  + had a big monitor 14" and came with a OS Windows 3.1, an Engineer changed the HDD to a big one back in the day and installed Windows 95, thought it could never get any better.   Tiny Computers had gone out of Business 5 years later

getting so used to everything in this day and age being TB job to remember MB/GB/TB sizes

• Confused 1