Chiang Mai Prepares to Welcome Songkran Festival

1712300947_646382-tnamcot.jpg

CHIANG MAI, April 5 (TNA) – Chiang Mai is gearing up to welcome the Songkran Festival, anticipating over 100,000 tourists, with confidence that the smog issue will have minimal impact.

Municipal officials in Chiang Mai have begun draining water from the city moat, along with spreading disinfectant before letting them dry in the sun.

They are preparing to refill the moat with fresh water to allow tourists to enjoy water splashing during the traditional New Year celebration or Songkran Festival in the city comfortably.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2024-04-05

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

49 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Chiang Mai is gearing up to welcome the Songkran Festival, anticipating over 100,000 tourists, with confidence that the smog issue will have minimal impact.

<insert smoke-blowing emoji here>  (cough cough cough)

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They are preparing to refill the moat with fresh water to allow tourists to enjoy water splashing during the traditional New Year celebration or Songkran Festival in the city comfortably.

mmmmm...no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Smof will have a minimum impact for Songkran,, who believes that crap?? 

I was at Imm a couple of days ago, I was probably the only foreigner wearing a mask. Yesterday I saw a young farang riding his scooter at full speed (way over the limit) in 40C with PM2.5 well over 100, no shirt, no helmet, no mask.

So yes, I think that crap is probably correct at least as far as foreign tourists are concerned.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since the pollution became critical there has already been a reported drop off in forward hotel bookings. My partner runs a tourism dependent business that has done record turnover for over a year until a month ago when business dropped off a cliff with revenue being up to 40% down on numerous days. Meanwhile the governor holds a presentation telling everyone that pollution better than a year ago, but fails to mention that CM has had a record numbers of days when it is world number one. The extended crapshoot of Songkran events is heading for a financial disaster for many businesses.

maybe good to know is that in the Netherlands last week there was an item that because of airpollution probably 400 more deaths were in Covid period, as air pollution has a bad fluence on the lungs and makes the Covid more dangerous... How would that be in Chiang Mai?