Only one in four British Muslims believe Hamas committed murder and rape in Israel, report

Social Media

image.png

Understanding British Muslim Perceptions on Hamas: A Call for Counter-Extremism Efforts

In the wake of the Israel-Hamas conflict, a recent report commissioned by the Henry Jackson Society (HJS) sheds light on the perceptions of British Muslims regarding the actions of Hamas. The findings, revealed six months after the tragic events of October 7th, highlight a concerning trend in sympathies towards Hamas among a significant portion of the British Muslim population.

According to the report, only one in four British Muslims believe that Hamas committed murder and rape during the October 7th incident in Israel. This stark disparity in perception underscores a deep-seated divergence in understanding and interpretation of events between certain segments of the British Muslim community and the broader public.

The survey, which represents the largest of its kind conducted since the Israel-Hamas conflict, reveals that 46 percent of British Muslims express sympathy towards Hamas. This sentiment is accompanied by other concerning findings, such as a significant proportion advocating for the implementation of Shariah law in the UK and expressing beliefs in Jewish influence over government policy, media, and financial systems.

The report also identifies a generational and educational divide among British Muslims, with younger and more educated individuals being more likely to dismiss allegations of atrocities committed by Hamas. This trend underscores the importance of targeted education and outreach efforts to address misinformation and challenge extremist narratives within communities.

Fiyaz Mughal, a prominent figure in interfaith advocacy, describes the findings as both shocking and unsurprising. He emphasizes the need for robust counter-extremism measures to combat the spread of extremist ideologies, particularly those perpetuated by groups like Hamas. Mughal calls for increased government guidance for educational institutions and community organizations to address the proliferation of anti-Semitic tropes and extremist beliefs.

Alan Mendoza, the executive director of HJS, points to the failure of counter-extremism policies in adequately addressing the rise of extremist ideologies within certain segments of the British Muslim population. He highlights the reluctance to confront such extremism due to fears of being labeled Islamophobic, calling for a concerted effort to amplify the voices of moderate Muslims and marginalize extremist narratives.

In response to the report, the government acknowledges the need for comprehensive measures to promote social cohesion and counter religious hatred. A spokesperson reaffirms the government's commitment to protecting democratic freedoms and pledges to implement strategies aimed at tackling division within communities.

The findings of the HJS report serve as a sobering reminder of the challenges posed by extremist ideologies within British society. Addressing these challenges requires a multifaceted approach, encompassing education, community engagement, and robust counter-extremism measures. By fostering dialogue, promoting understanding, and confronting extremism head-on, stakeholders can work towards building a more cohesive and resilient society for all.

Source

image.png

• Sad 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Putting aside your gross generalization, that’s not an argument in favor of trusting the Jewish Chronicle on what they have to say on this matter.

Sometimes a generalization sums it up. 

We are a product of the times where truth, the real truth is hard to find. Most are lead by generalized headlines, and very few bother to deep dive in to a complicatet matter where underlying reasons is necessary to get the whole picture. 

A jewish Chronicle on is as colored as a Muslim chronicle, or not? 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

The OP is the daily telegraph. The Poll is by https://jlpartners.com/polling-results

I can see how hard at work you are trying deflect but its not working

Read the OP, you’ll find the survey was commissioned by the Henry Jackson Society.

Read the link you yourself posted, the JC has based its article on the same HJS survey.

I can see you running in circles.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Read the OP, you’ll find the survey was commissioned by the Henry Jackson Society.

Read the link you yourself posted, the JC has based its article on the same HJS survey.

I can see you running in circles.

lol, yes I read the OP, the Daily Telegraph, I also separately read the JC for this quote only:

"Fiyaz Mughal, founder of Muslims Against Antisemitism and the interfaith group Faith Matters, told the Sunday Telegraph that the findings are “shocking but also not shocking.”

He said: “The sense that Hamas did not conduct massacres and rapes in Israel is atrocious because it shows a closed-off mentality of anything emanating from Israel.”

Where is the bias apart from you?

image.png.476274c60df95640c8733b9582616d3c.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Sometimes a generalization sums it up. 

We are a product of the times where truth, the real truth is hard to find. Most are lead by generalized headlines, and very few bother to deep dive in to a complicatet matter where underlying reasons is necessary to get the whole picture. 

A jewish chricicle is as colored as a Muslim chronicle, or not? 

I looked past the headlines, and found the source, a not liberal think tank with a history of stoking Islamophobia.

I absolutely agree, I would not trust a news source, perhaps called for contextual balance, ‘’The Muslim Chronicle’ any more reason than I trust ‘The Jewish Chronicle’ on this matter.

But then I’m not putting up either as an reliable source, nor would I.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I know that you won't read this source since it is the dreaded faux news... but the article is from the son of one of the founding leaders of hamas and warrants some consideration since he had an inside track for many years... Hamas defector tells pro-Palestinian activists they belong in 'a mental asylum' in brutal debate | Fox News

Oh, so you don’t care to elaborate .

You choose to obfuscate instead.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The best deflection by the HATEFUL is to disparage your source... only their sources are reliable after all.

The best way to get to the veracity of a news report is to examine the source of the information it uses.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I looked past the headlines, and found the source, a not liberal think tank with a history of stoking Islamophobia.

I absolutely agree, I would not trust a news source, perhaps called for contextual balance, ‘’The Muslim Chronicle’ any more reason than I trust ‘The Jewish Chronicle’ on this matter.

But then I’m not putting up either as an reliable source, nor would I.

Liar, the source is 

image.png.476274c60df95640c8733b9582616d3c.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Are you being serious?

"The survey was carried out by J L Partners, the polling company which was founded by James Johnson, the former Downing Street pollster."

Yes I am being serious.

Neither the OP nor the JC article link to the H J Society source or the survey.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes I am being serious.

Neither the OP nor the JC article link to the H J Society source or the survey.

I just gave you the direct quote from the OP, The Daily Telegraph. Here is just some of the data again with zero bias, pure data direct from the pollsters. I also provided the link, what more do you need?

46% of Muslims living in the UK Sympathize with Hamas. 

39% deny the crimes committed on Oct 7th. 

37% say they are unsure whether Hamas killed and r*ped civilians. 

32% of Muslims want Sharia law in the UK.