Disco era hit song about 45 years ago or so about "America"

This has been bothering me for awhile.

I remember very little about this song except it was a major hit for one season, I really enjoyed it and how it made me feel good, and it's theme was about "America" though I have no idea if the title had America in it.

I don't remember anything about the actually tune, specific lyrics, or artist name.

This has been bothering me because normally with old songs that have etched into our memories, you definitely remember at least something of the tune.

I don't know if it was popular outside of the U.S. but if I had to guess I would guess that it was, for that one season.

So, any of you now aged disco bunnies remember this song to the point of  saying what it was because I would love to hear it again (I might hate it now, but I'm flippin' curious) ?!?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe this?

Thanks. Good song but not it and that was not old enough or disco enough. 

About the mystery song, it  was definitely mostly played in discos though perhaps not a completely typical disco beat (because then I guess I would remember it). 

About the feeling, I recall it was very upbeat, very America is great because we're really the most free in a much more innocent pre total division era (not political or obnoxiously nationalistic), perhaps with an implicit not explicit message about gay freedom and liberation that was more of a read between the lines kind of thing. It had a lot of radio play. I don't know whether it was as big in straight discos as it was in gay discos.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Rockin in the free world?

Um. Nope. But thanks for playing.

I will add I think the word America was part of the lyric several times. (Not American Pie). 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

perhaps with an implicit not explicit message about gay freedom and liberation that was more of a read between the lines kind of thing. It had a lot of radio play. I don't know whether it was as big in straight discos as it was in gay discos.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 2

This might really be a long shot to find.

I'm sure it was a hit but not the biggest hit at the time.

I've even looked at online lists of songs and couldn't find it.

Maybe I need to be hypnotized to remember it?

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

This?

OMG. That is so so close, and I'm not 100 percent sure, but I don't think so. I don't expect anyone is going to come up with a better guess than that. Now this is gonna drive me even more crazy!

Posted (edited)

It's possible that it was more of a ballad than a disco song.  So if that's the case I doubt it would have been played in discos. I have some memories of places that I heard it that were not in discos but on the radio.

I recall there was a bit of a travelogue aspect to the song in the lyrics. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Was it a disco hit or from one of the other genres pop, rock, funk...

At this point it could be Bill Shatner's spoken word rendition of "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

This one's from '78, cover of an Elton John song, so correct era and lifestyle.