Thai F-16s Conduct Air Patrols As Myanmar MiG-29s Attack Karen Fighters

webfact

So what will happen when a Mig strays across in to Thai airspace?

F16s gonna shoot it down? force it down?  I doubt it.

But good exercise for the boys in any case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

So what will happen when a Mig strays across in to Thai airspace?

F16s gonna shoot it down? force it down?  I doubt it.

History already.

Myanmar jet enters Thai airspace, prompting evacuations

June 30, 2022

https://aseannow.com/topic/1324658-thai-f-16s-conduct-air-patrols-as-myanmar-mig-29s-attack-karen-fighters/

"A Myanmar fighter jet crossed the border into Thailand’s airspace on Thursday, prompting Thai air force jets to scramble and officials to order the evacuation of villages and classrooms, officials said.

The Royal Thai Air Force said it dispatched two F-16 fighters to patrol the area after receiving a report of an aircraft that crossed into Thailand’s airspace while carrying out an attack in Myanmar territory held by an ethnic minority group. It asked the military attaché at the Thai Embassy in Myanmar to convey a warning to Myanmar authorities and work with them to avoid similar incidents in the future." (my bold)

So this time another post-action warning. More disturbing militarily is the apparent lack of early detection by Thailand of the Mig-29 in both instances

25 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

It would be great if the resistance forces had some heavier weapons to shoot down one or more of those Migs.

Contact Ukraine. Maybe manpads and/or drones to attack government air bases.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

either purposely or inadvertently

As I remember Myanmar government's excuse in a previous Mig-29 infringement of Thai airspace was that their jet bomb run on civilians and insurrection military required it to travel in the direction across the Thai border and not enough airspace to turn back before such incursion. I believe Thailand's response was 'don't do it again.' Thailand didn't make any protest of the Myanmar government's coincidental attack on Myanmar civilians. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

It would be great if the resistance forces had some heavier weapons to shoot down one or more of those Migs.

Ground-to-air missiles? They may have some, likely stolen from the Myanmar regime. But making them work might be a different matter

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

History already.

Myanmar jet enters Thai airspace, prompting evacuations

June 30, 2022

https://aseannow.com/topic/1324658-thai-f-16s-conduct-air-patrols-as-myanmar-mig-29s-attack-karen-fighters/

"A Myanmar fighter jet crossed the border into Thailand’s airspace on Thursday, prompting Thai air force jets to scramble and officials to order the evacuation of villages and classrooms, officials said.

The Royal Thai Air Force said it dispatched two F-16 fighters to patrol the area after receiving a report of an aircraft that crossed into Thailand’s airspace while carrying out an attack in Myanmar territory held by an ethnic minority group. It asked the military attaché at the Thai Embassy in Myanmar to convey a warning to Myanmar authorities and work with them to avoid similar incidents in the future." (my bold)

So this time another post-action warning. More disturbing militarily is the apparent lack of early detection by Thailand of the Mig-29 in both instances

Are you expecting competence on the part of the armed forces here? They need practice. Burma would be a great place to start! 

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

As I remember Myanmar government's excuse in a previous Mig-29 infringement of Thai airspace was that their jet bomb run on civilians and insurrection military required it to travel in the direction across the Thai border and not enough airspace to turn back before such incursion. I believe Thailand's response was 'don't do it again.' Thailand didn't make any protest of the Myanmar government's coincidental attack on Myanmar civilians. 

As bad as the government and army are here, I am happy they are not bombing areas that voted heavily for Pita!