The baffling 27 years of Richard Burrows, aka. ‘Peter Smith’

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Some one told me its easy to change your name in the UK and get a new passport

Yes it is. But not when you've been indicted on serious criminal charges and are due in court! 

One wonders why he decided to fly back, as I'm pretty sure he would be aware of his arrest to happen most likely. Ran out of money I guess + too old to work? Even then, you would think one would commit suicide here instead of going to jail the rest of life.

As he left in like late 90's I am not surprised at all that he managed to leave, or use another ones passport. This is even before 9/11, there was barely any checks on anything, nobody used fingerprints yet etc etc. To be honest, if you look like someone a lot, they never been to Thailand before, I think there is a high chance it still works today too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

One wonders why he decided to fly back, as I'm pretty sure he would be aware of his arrest to happen most likely. Ran out of money I guess + too old to work? Even then, you would think one would commit suicide here instead of going to jail the rest of life.

Say, for example, a Thai doctor diagnosed terminal illness. Would you accept that and die in Thailand?  Or, believe (rightly or wrongly) that life prolonging treatment may be available in UK? You're not going to be imprisoned in UK if terminally ill.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Say, for example, a Thai doctor diagnosed terminal illness. Would you accept that and die in Thailand?  Or, believe (rightly or wrongly) that life prolonging treatment may be available in UK? You're not going to be imprisoned in UK if terminally ill.

Yeah I suspected he was doing a Thaksin on this already, that is the only logical conclusion, if that likely means you will be set free. Otherwise I would accept to die here yes, certainly at the age of 80, and knowing I would be on the run since '97s and did horrible things.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What's interesting about it is that the police were waiting for him on arrival at Heathrow. The full article says: 'British National Crime Agency claim they had tracked ‘Peter Smith’s’ movements and prearranged his arrest upon entering the UK', which is exactly what happened.

So let's suppose that a liaison officer from BNRA in Thailand paid Burrows a visit and whispered in his ear something along these lines.

"We know who you are Mr. Burrows and we shall be seeking your arrest via an International Arrest Warrant. When that happens, you shall arrested by the Thai police and will end up one of their, rather less than pleasant detention centres awaiting extradition proceedings. 

''Your choice Burrows, fly home now and surrender to the police there, or await arrest here and take the hard route home''. 

I know which option I would take.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I think you mean that whatever visa/permission of stay you had at that time applied to your circumstances and not everyone else's!

I had exactly what I have now John-- a 1 year tourist visa  (there was no such thing as a retirement visa although thats what they refer  to these Visa's as now, but they are still an extension of that ) I

Used to get it through The Thai Oz sub office Brisbane.  There were many of them around the world.

I remember (but not the exact date) when we were told that you could renew in pattaya at the I.O.  which was behind the sailor bar in Soi 7 they then turned that into a holding cells  for over-stayers when they moved to J.T.

I guess the best person to ask about these dates is George ... as he ran this site-= Thai Visa , which also could help you with your visa's problems and would know all those dates...............COME IN GEORGE........... or I will start to think I was having fantasy's

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I had exactly what I have now John-- a 1 year tourist visa  (there was no such thing as a retirement visa although thats what they refer  to these Visa's as now, but they are still an extension of that ) I

Used to get it through The Thai Oz sub office Brisbane.  There were many of them around the world.

I remember (but not the exact date) when we were told that you could renew in pattaya at the I.O.  which was behind the sailor bar in Soi 7 they then turned that into a holding cells  for over-stayers when they moved to J.T.

I guess the best person to ask about these dates is George ... as he ran this site-= Thai Visa , which also could help you with your visa's problems and would know all those dates...............COME IN GEORGE........... or I will start to think I was having fantasy's

You better ask in the Visa sub forum about your visa/extension dates

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

What's interesting about it is that the police were waiting for him on arrival at Heathrow. The full article says: 'British National Crime Agency claim they had tracked ‘Peter Smith’s’ movements and prearranged his arrest upon entering the UK', which is exactly what happened.

So let's suppose that a liaison officer from BNRA in Thailand paid Burrows a visit and whispered in his ear something along these lines.

"We know who you are Mr. Burrows and we shall be seeking your arrest via an International Arrest Warrant. When that happens, you shall arrested by the Thai police and will end up one of their, rather less than pleasant detention centres awaiting extradition proceedings. 

''Your choice Burrows, fly home now and surrender to the police there, or await arrest here and take the hard route home''. 

I know which option I would take.

As I understand, to extradite anyone they have to already have been convicted or have a concrete case against them. The seriousness of the crime is another criteria.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:27 AM, Robbkk said:

Thai immigration dropped the ball. They let this guy in with somebody else's passport and kept renewing his visa for 27 years.

You can't fault Thai immigration, considering that when you get the visa, all you need is a valid passport and picture.  I was just wondering at that time if they had the pages laminated. Changing the pick would have been a possible issue.

Again the only issue saving him seems to be that the real Peter Smith never travelled.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, tandor said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You really think that the father of a boy Burrows was abusing would do that?

i would sincerely hope not..but stranger things have happened. I must say i have no knowledge of Burrows' charges or Peter Smith..have you?

Obviously, I do not have personal knowledge of the charges against Burrows but I have read what the police have reported (two buggery and eleven indecent assault charges)...haven't you?

There are no charges against Peter Smith.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 4/12/2024 at 10:35 AM, RobU said:

Unfortunately critically ill or dying prisoners tend to be released on parole for compassionate reasons in the UK

Seems that also applied to a well connected Thai criminal just recently. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

"We know who you are Mr. Burrows and we shall be seeking your arrest via an International Arrest Warrant.

I'm guessing that you mean the NCA, not the "BNRA" and that you don't know that there is no such thing as an "International Arrest Warrant"?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

What a load of BS. The UK authorities dropped the ball. Firstly by allowing him the leave the country. Secondly by renewing his passport which was stolen. Nothing the Thai immigration did was wrong, as far as they knew his passport was genuine. 

The passport would only be known to be stolen if reported, plus he probably left the UK on a legal passport, and if you read the earlier posts it is clear how the passport was possibly renewed. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:19 AM, RobU said:

If he is a child molester, did he continue his activities in Thailand?

Certainly or in nearby countries. It is supposedly an incurable criminal desire.  After servi g jail  would be better to  dump these pervs on a kind of Devils Island. Then let them diddle each other having no chance to encounter another child for the rest of their lives!

47 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm guessing that you mean the NCA, not the "BNRA" and that you don't know that there is no such thing as an "International Arrest Warrant"?

Yes a typo. British National Crime Agency BNCA.

https://interpollawfirm.com/faq/international-eu-arrest-warrant/

Edited by Moonlover

13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:
59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes a typo. British National Crime Agency BNCA.

https://interpollawfirm.com/faq/international-eu-arrest-warrant/

Edited 8 minutes ago by Moonlover

"British National Crime Agency BNCA".

It's the NCA, the National Crime Agency.

Your link refers to an EAW, a European Arrest Warrant that is used only within the EU countries and that law firm (not Interpol) refers to it as an International Arrest Warrant; there is no such thing as an international arrest warrant, arrest warrants are issued by individual countries.  That website is not Interpol's.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

The passport would only be known to be stolen if reported, plus he probably left the UK on a legal passport, and if you read the earlier posts it is clear how the passport was possibly renewed. 

Read my comment and read the comment I was replying to by Robbkk. His comment was that Thai immigration dropped the ball. My reply was the UK dropped the ball allowing him to leave the country and also allowing passport renewal on an assumed reported stolen passport.

Quote from OP

Burrows had originally arrived in Phuket in 1997, living on the island under the name Peter Smith – the name in the passport he had allegedly stolen from one of his victim’s father. Somehow he was able to use this passport as ID to set up companies and even renewals for a new UK passport during his time in Thailand.

Many questions are being raised how a passport, assumed to have been reported missing by the real ‘Peter Smith’ in the UK, would be able to be used for such a long time without detection. During that time he would have completed numerous 90 day reports , visa renewals and UK passport renewals through the British Embassy inThailand.

18 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Read my comment and read the comment I was replying to by Robbkk. His comment was that Thai immigration dropped the ball. My reply was the UK dropped the ball allowing him to leave the country and also allowing passport renewal on an assumed reported stolen passport.

Quote from OP

Burrows had originally arrived in Phuket in 1997, living on the island under the name Peter Smith – the name in the passport he had allegedly stolen from one of his victim’s father. Somehow he was able to use this passport as ID to set up companies and even renewals for a new UK passport during his time in Thailand.

Many questions are being raised how a passport, assumed to have been reported missing by the real ‘Peter Smith’ in the UK, would be able to be used for such a long time without detection. During that time he would have completed numerous 90 day reports , visa renewals and UK passport renewals through the British Embassy inThailand.

suggest you read my post - as to how he left the country ie, it wasn't reported as missing and therefore a legal passport - although illegally used (just to clarify my statement)  

• Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, I do not have personal knowledge of the charges against Burrows but I have read what the police have reported (two buggery and eleven indecent assault charges)...haven't you?

There are no charges against Peter Smith.

no..first Ive heard of him and his aliases etc.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:03 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"British National Crime Agency BNCA".

It's the NCA, the National Crime Agency.

Your link refers to an EAW, a European Arrest Warrant that is used only within the EU countries and that law firm (not Interpol) refers to it as an International Arrest Warrant; there is no such thing as an international arrest warrant, arrest warrants are issued by individual countries.  That website is not Interpol's.

Some months ago two brothers (drug dealers) from Merseyside were arrested in Pattaya. They were shocked at being arrested, I remember reading their response "we're wanted by the police in England but we've no problems here".

I think they'd jumped bail but can't be sure of the status of their arrest or warrant.

Anyone here remember or any ideas.?

On 4/12/2024 at 12:31 PM, BangkokReady said:

How can someone have the nationality of "British", then?

The terms Britain and British are internationally accepted alternative terms for the UK and it's citizens.

17 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

The terms Britain and British are internationally accepted alternative terms for the UK and it's citizens.

More than that, the nationality of citizens of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is literally British. There is no other name for that nationality.

Also, GBR (Great Britain) is the country code for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

More than that, the nationality of citizens of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is literally British. There is no other name for that nationality.

Also, GBR (Great Britain) is the country code for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

And sterling is known as GBP.

You should be telling all this to the bozo who said that British referred only to Engish not to Welsh.

Years ago living in South Africa we were referred to as UK guys.

On 4/12/2024 at 12:31 PM, BangkokReady said:

How can someone have the nationality of "British", then?

Because "British" is a commonly-used short-hand term for the nationality of a person who is from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You can also refer to someone as being of "UK nationality."

It makes a lot more sense (to me, at least) than saying someone is, let's say, "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irelandish".

Actually, short-hand terms are quite often used for nationality, that do not contain (or derive from) the full, official name of the country. 

For instance, "American" is commonly used for the nationality of a person from the United States of America. "Dutch" is used for citizens of the Kingdom of the Netherlands - and so on.

1 hour ago, saintdomingo said:

Some months ago two brothers (drug dealers) from Merseyside were arrested in Pattaya. They were shocked at being arrested, I remember reading their response "we're wanted by the police in England but we've no problems here".

I think they'd jumped bail but can't be sure of the status of their arrest or warrant.

Anyone here remember or any ideas.?

Arrogant ignorance on their part.

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Because "British" is a commonly-used short-hand term for the nationality of a person who is from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You can also refer to someone as being of "UK nationality."

It makes a lot more sense (to me, at least) than saying someone is, let's say, "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irelandish".

Actually, short-hand terms are quite often used for nationality, that do not contain (or derive from) the full, official name of the country. 

For instance, "American" is commonly used for the nationality of a person from the United States of America. "Dutch" is used for citizens of the Kingdom of the Netherlands - and so on.

You  can also use the term Briton

On 4/12/2024 at 6:33 AM, Ironmike said:

Well the upside for this sick POS is that he will die in prison where he belongs and when his new inmate friends find out what he has done well he's going to get what he deserves good riddens. 

These days they're well protected and are segregated from other prisoners.  So, They don't even get the kicking they deserve.