OJ Simpson died owing more than $100MILLION to families of murder victims

Social Media

22 hours ago, morrobay said:

What's also wrong with the system is racists saps for jurors. If ever there were a case for professional jurors.

Nah. Lets scrap human courts altogether and use AI, which will judge on the evidence and not emotion.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

What on earth do you mean? What did a judge have to do with it?

Both his criminal case and his civil case (the subject here) were decided by juries. 

Is that completely true though? The judge issues instructions for the jury so they can't decide against that, I presume.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I understand a judge can overturn a jury decision if he has cause.

16 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

Why not remove Juries completely and just rely on the Judge, for a verdict. After all, no one is more qualified at understanding the nuances of the law, than a judge. 

LOL. What could possibly go wrong with that?

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems to be a disturbing attitude nowadays that people will overlook murder or death of a relative if enough money is handed over.

Are the parents more upset by the death of their son or not being able to profit from it?

In criminal convictions of murderers do the murderers normally hand over large amounts of money to the bereaved? If so, I have not been aware of it.

An extra thought. I assume the original fine was levied against Simpson as a "punishment", so how in the name of the deity is trying to get the money now, after Simpson is dead, "punishing" anyone.

Seems it's all about the money, money, money.

I can't see how their son could have been worth a hundred million to them if he had lived. I can see that if he was supporting them, that they have a case to be reimbursed for the money that they didn't get, but a hundred million, LOL.

IMO it's about the G word.

• Confused 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:02 AM, stevenl said:

There's something really wrong with the system if they haven't been able to collect a substantial part of the debt.

There might but you dont know enough of the system to serious know. 

Try during your spare time back home to sit in on a case criminal and civil you might learn something it isnt T.V. portraits.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

There's something really wrong with the system if they haven't been able to collect a substantial part of the debt.

There is something wrong with the system when innocent people are legally required to pay a fine for a crime they didn't commit 

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

An extra thought. I assume the original fine was levied against Simpson as a "punishment", so how in the name of the deity is trying to get the money now, after Simpson is dead, "punishing" anyone.

Seems it's all about the money, money, money.

I can't see how their son could have been worth a hundred million to them if he had lived. I can see that if he was supporting them, that they have a case to be reimbursed for the money that they didn't get, but a hundred million, LOL.

IMO it's about the G word.

No . If the correct guilty verdict came down  I doubt the Goldman's would have made a civil case. They were so devastated by the worst example of racism/travesty of justice that they had to do it. Personally I would have picked up a Soldier's of Fortune magazine... 

2 minutes ago, morrobay said:

No . If the correct guilty verdict came down  I doubt the Goldman's would have made a civil case. They were so devastated by the worst example of racism/travesty of justice that they had to do it. Personally I would have picked up a Soldier's of Fortune magazine... 

I wasn't commenting on the original case, but on trying to get money AFTER he died.

Seems to be a norm in our brave new world that soon as a plane falls out of the sky the leaches lawyers are trying to get a big payout ( as big as possible so they get rich off it ), and for any other disaster that they can invent a reason to be paid out for.

1 minute ago, morrobay said:

Yes . And we are not the only ones here that are getting fed up with these non U.S. citizens butting into U.S.affairs who do not know what the ..... they are talking about: Like this jerk you are calling out. Some of you people have long worn out your welcome here!

In that case, can you get them to stop making most of the threads about the US?

If we non Americans didn't comment on those posts there would not be many posts, and that would not help sell advertising.

• Agree 1

Like it or not there is human factor laced throughout the system it is a chest match from how the judge is picked along with the jury it isnt all one sided. 

Prior to the trail there are motion by both sides as to what evidence is allowed for the picked jury to hear even as we know where the case can be heard.

With the civil the standard is lower Along with jury members. The family knew before hand the Up hill battle In collecting since there are rules as to what can be attached. The reason why OJ got busted in Vegas and serve time. 

Whatever the judges or jury did or didnt there is an appeal process review by a higher court which none to my knowledge was overturn.

A pal of mine back in the day a lady named Glo and yup she’s black as night great friend anyway she said to her in regards to OJ she felt black people were making progress she said now if you have money black or white you could get away with murder I almost pooped my self when she said that lmao I’m going to have to look her up haven’t heard from her in years hope she’s still around !

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

There might but you dont know enough of the system to serious know. 

Try during your spare time back home to sit in on a case criminal and civil you might learn something it isnt T.V. portraits.

I seriously know there is something wrong with the system when someone who is liable for a payment refuses to, lives the high life and all efforts to collect come to naught.

I know there is something wrong with the system when the rich and famous can avoid trials time and time again by buying themselves out and by buying time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I seriously know there is something wrong with the system when someone who is liable for a payment refuses to, lives the high life and all efforts to collect come to naught.

I know there is something wrong with the system when the rich and famous can avoid trials time and time again by buying themselves out and by buying time.

And that is not yet talking about the politicization of the system. The higher up the worse it gets 

5 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Say it again for this troll/jerk I just reported*.  

Like it or not there is human factor laced throughout the system it is a chest match from how the judge is picked along with the jury it isnt all one sided. 

Prior to the trail there are motion by both sides as to what evidence is allowed for the picked jury to hear even as we know where the case can be heard.

With the civil the standard is lower Along with jury members. The family knew before hand the Up hill battle In collecting since there are rules as to what can be attached. The reason why OJ got busted in Vegas and serve time. 

Whatever the judges or jury did or didnt there is an appeal process review by a higher court which none to my knowledge was overturn.

I am never happy to hear about the death of a person - but for OJ I make a rare exception and I hope he was in a lot of pain.  In my life I have taken the view that it does not really matter whether you believe in God or not - but that it is better to live as a good person in the hope that there is a Heaven, rather than living as a bad person abd be in hope there is no Hell.  I sure hope there is a Hell, because if there is, OJ is there. 

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that completely true though? The judge issues instructions for the jury so they can't decide against that, I presume.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I understand a judge can overturn a jury decision if he has cause.

Judge instructions are pretty generic and do not/cannot dictate jury verdict.

Jury verdicts can only be overturned by an Appeals Court and only if a convicted defendent chooses to appeal (not relevant in this case). The judge presiding over the trial cannot overturn jury verdict.

Nothing the legal system can do about  it if a jury acquits someone as happened here.

• Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:13 AM, thailand49 said:

There was no appeal process because under US law a not guilty verdict cannot be appealed. Only a guilty verdict or a sentence. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There was no appeal process Drbecsuse under US law a not guilty verdict canmot be appealed. Only a guilty verdict or a sentence. 

Correct thanks for clarification my general comments were for those who complain about the system mix the criminal with the civil trial.

There were many mistakes made by prosecution and police careers were made and ruined many times the field is leveled with money.

On 4/12/2024 at 7:13 AM, Henryford said:

Must have cost them $100 million in legal fees over 30 years.

Hopefully.

Unlike most folk on here I watch almost the entire trial. The result was nothing to do with racism or reverse racism and everything to do with a totally inept prosecutor (Marcia whatever) and a racist key witness (Furman). 

Edited by retarius
  • Like 1

Duh, ya think? 

17 minutes ago, retarius said:

Hopefully.

Unlike most folk on here I watch almost the entire trial. The result was nothing to do with racism or reverse racism and everything to do with a totally inept prosecutor (Marcia whatever) and a racist key witness (Furman). 

I thought it was because the glove did not fit, so the jury had to acquit.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Hopefully.

Here is admission by one of these racist jurors saying most of them knew he was guilty.But they aquitted oj for payback in Rodney king case.  * Oh and you are calling that detective a racist . From what the racist lawyers said?? I can't believe some of "you people"https://www.pinkvilla.com/sports/when-a-juror-from-oj-simpson-case-confessed-the-verdict-was-payback-for-rodney-king-case-1295002

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Here is admission by one of these racist jurors saying most of them knew he was guilty.But they aquitted oj for payback in Rodney king case.  * Oh and you are calling that detective a racist . From what the racist lawyers said?? I can't believe some of "you people"https://www.pinkvilla.com/sports/when-a-juror-from-oj-simpson-case-confessed-the-verdict-was-payback-for-rodney-king-case-1295002

Given the racially charged atmosphere of the time (especially in So Cal), I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be on that jury and exposed myself to retribution had there been a guilty verdict, or even a hung jury.  There would have been entire city blocks burned down had he been convicted.  Just like the Rodney King riots and the Summer of Love (and mostly peaceful city burnings).

As I recall, they had whittled it down to Bigfoot, space aliens, or OJ did it...  Apparently, the jury figured that was enough reasonable doubt.  It may have been Bigfoot or aliens...