Best older truck to buy?

Looking to replace the ancient Isuzu farm truck with something a bit newer.  I know that condition probably trumps the brand when buying second hand, but my experience has been all cars and motorcycles, so I'm clueless about diesel pick up trucks ... so wanted opinions on what types of trucks I should be searching for on Marketplace?  That will help narrow the search, then we can buy on condition/price.

Basic 2-door manual would be fine.  4 wheel drive would be nice, as would auto, but not essential.  No need for a hard top or cover.  Ideally standard spec with no fat 'racing' wheels as it will need to drive on farms as well as local roads. Budget around 150,000 to 200,000 THB.

First thought was a Hilux Vigo for reliability and spares availability, but they look to be higher cost than an equivalent age and condition Navara or Ranger.  Isuzu and Mitsubishi also seem to hold their prices well, so if I want better condition for the cash should I go for a secondary brand?

I guess a turbo is less desirable when buying a clunker farm truck?  Is manual or auto preferable for older trucks?  Any brands to avoid, such as Chevrolet?

Tips/suggestions appreciated.

Hilux Tiger Sport Cruiser ticks most of your boxes but as you note, they can be expensive. They have a bit of a 'cult' following these days. Really nice 2.5 D4D Sport Cruisers are advertised at up to 300,000 for a 20 year old truck!

I had an old Mitsubishi Grandis - it absolutely loved diesel. Some older Navara's have serious known engine issues. Never was a fan of the older Fords.

In my book that leaves you with either an Isuzu or a Chevrolet.  Given that they were both almost identical and shared many of the same parts - why would you object to a Chevy.  There are no parts issues with Chevrolets yet, I own one (a car) and have had no problems.

If you can find a Hilux at a reasonable price, that would be your best bet, next would either be an Isuzu or a Chevy.

I saw a 4x4 Sport Cruiser for sale in Bangkok recently for 79,000 but is was a 3.0L.  They are quite thirsty but if you are not doing big mileages, you should be OK. The 'go to' model is the 2.5 D4D.

I will be looking for a 4x4 Sport Cruiser in a few months but if I can't find one, I won't have a problem with a Z71 Chevy.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just to add to that, I know you mention a Vigo - a newer model of Hilux but in your price range its doubtful that you'll find anything other than a worn out old knocker.

A Tiger/Sport Cruiser is an older model but many are treated as collector's pieces and very well looked after.  If you go buy condition rather than age, you are much more likely to tick all your boxes with a Sport Crusier - especially with a 4x4.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Just to add to that, I know you mention a Vigo - a newer model of Hilux but in your price range its doubtful that you'll find anything other than a worn out old knocker.

A Tiger/Sport Cruiser is an older model but many are treated as collector's pieces and very well looked after.  If you go buy condition rather than age, you are much more likely to tick all your boxes with a Sport Crusier - especially with a 4x4.

Good suggestions.  I like the look of this one on Marketplace ..... though more for its appearance as its not the basic spec I originally posted.

Screenshot_20240414_210359_Facebook-01.thumb.jpeg.ee34121a5e66634b361aea06e41d7ddc.jpeg

Edited by Kinnock

I don't think it is wise to recommend Chevrolet. Since it left the Thailand. 🙂

I regularly hire this guy to work on my house. When Chevrolet was leaving the Thailand he bought one with some huge discount, something like 50%. That car is parked in front of his house for the last 12 months, because it broke down and nobody can repair it. And even if could, it would cost more than is the value of the car. So he went and bought on leasing Hilux Vigo as his working vehicle. While Chevrolet is parked in front of house as decoration.

• Thanks 1

You could buy my Nissan four door for around 220000.

2009 Nivara 2.5 ltr turbo excellent condition 187000 km on the clock.

The horn doesn't work so less chance of getting shot.

Bargain!

• Like 1

Naturally aspirated diesel pickups died in the early 2000's.  They were gutless but extremely reliable due to no turbo, SOHC 8 valve heads and mechanical fuel injection.  Perfect for a farm truck, but not good on the road at speed, due to the lack of power.  Finding these trucks in good shape might be difficult now.  

The newer generation trucks (mid 2000's +) all moved to Turbo intercooled diesels with common rail fuel injection, DOHC 16 valve heads etc.  These are a lot more expensive to repair than the earlier generation, however they have double the power, so perform a lot better on the road.  

My experience with mid to late 2000's pickups from Toyota, Mitsubishi, Isuzu and Ford (Mazda B series based Ranger) was good, they were all pretty reliable, at least up to 10 years old.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

I've owned 2 Chevrolets over the past 6 years or so.  I have no problems getting parts for it and there is no reason why they can't be reparied. They are nothing special, they are much the same as any other vehicle and do not require any special equipment. I'm am ex mechanic and carry out my own repairs.

Most of the rubbish talked about regarding Chevrolet's not being able to be repaired, is just that - rubbish!  Its simply people/garages that call their local spares stockist and give up when they don't have the parts.  There was another post on here recently about that very subject where someone's Chevy was off the road because the repairer couldn't find a new starter motor - they are freely available at aftermarket stockists all over Thailand and indeed on Lazada.

Chevrolet appointed GP Autoparts in Bangkok as their official spares stockist when they pulled out of Thailand and I've been able to obtain everything I've ever needed from then overnight - including parts I didn't expect them to have in stock.  A lot of parts are available as Non OEM aftermarket anyway.

Cool. Now when you explained it all to us his Chevrolet is no longer broken and repair didn't cost more than value of the car and it was easy to find somebody to fix it. Thank you! :jap:

• Haha 1

If you prefer to work on the truck yourself, minor maintenance & repair when needed, they petrol would be the way to go.  I haven't a clue about diesel either. 

Have you considered Suzuki Carry, as they are inexpensive to begin with, so 2nd hand aren't that expensive.

And, have a proper bed, instead of the small ones the rest seem to have.  Get one that was used as a food truck, and it will have very low kms.  I peek at them quite often, as converting one to an RV seems to constantly be on my mind.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 11:14 PM, MangoKorat said:

Last year I ordered a gearstick - something I thought I would have to wait for. GP Autoparts, Chevrolet's appointed parts stockist, had it in stock. I haven't had to order many parts but so far, everything I've needed has been in stock.

Gearstick??  Do you mean like the shifter?  WTH, why did it need replacing?

34 minutes ago, NedR69 said:

What do you need a 4x4 for?  If not on a farm, are you traveling off the road in sand or mud? 

Practically useless in Thailand, and all the extra gear on the truck just sits there unused 

On 4/14/2024 at 7:15 PM, Kinnock said:

Looking to replace the ancient Isuzu farm truck with something a bit newer.  I know that condition probably trumps the brand when buying second hand, but my experience has been all cars and motorcycles, so I'm clueless about diesel pick up trucks ... so wanted opinions on what types of trucks I should be searching for on Marketplace?  That will help narrow the search, then we can buy on condition/price.

Basic 2-door manual would be fine.  4 wheel drive would be nice, as would auto, but not essential.  No need for a hard top or cover.  Ideally standard spec with no fat 'racing' wheels as it will need to drive on farms as well as local roads. Budget around 150,000 to 200,000 THB.

First thought was a Hilux Vigo for reliability and spares availability, but they look to be higher cost than an equivalent age and condition Navara or Ranger.  Isuzu and Mitsubishi also seem to hold their prices well, so if I want better condition for the cash should I go for a secondary brand?

I guess a turbo is less desirable when buying a clunker farm truck?  Is manual or auto preferable for older trucks?  Any brands to avoid, such as Chevrolet?

If you are  looking for low mileage and fairly new 4-5  years old  take a look at the Chevrolet Colorado as they discounted them when they left Thailand and there are some good  ones out there with one owner for  250k. Parts easily available engine is  good avoid the automatic some of them fail, guess many will say toyota but they hold their prices.  2018 250k https://www.one2car.com/en/used-cars-for-sale/chevrolet/colorado/flex-cab-ปี-11-16?page_size=25

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 9:10 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

I don't think it is wise to recommend Chevrolet. Since it left the Thailand. 🙂

I regularly hire this guy to work on my house. When Chevrolet was leaving the Thailand he bought one with some huge discount, something like 50%. That car is parked in front of his house for the last 12 months, because it broke down and nobody can repair it. And even if could, it would cost more than is the value of the car. So he went and bought on leasing Hilux Vigo as his working vehicle. While Chevrolet is parked in front of house as decoration.

Plenty can repair them, ALL the old Chevvy  dealers who now do GWM can do it they kept the Chevrolet service centres open, all of them. Also many parts are interchangeable with Isuzu  d max  except the engine

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

no they didnt the old  dealers still do the servcing many changed to sell GWM but still kept the service work for chevrolet

They most certainly do in Chonburi.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

They most certainly do in Chonburi.

well did they sell chevrolet before? and you did say Ford  dealers meaning all. To be fair the info  is available for servicing online anyway by all garages although for the full info they have to pay for the files etc I guess, even so you can download a colorado service manual albeit the 2008 2016 model but bar body panel changes a lots the same. Id rather buy a newer model say 2017-18 than a 15 year old  plus  model of anything, his choice however. Ive seen colorados with over 500000km on, the engines fine

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

1 hour ago, NedR69 said:

What do you need a 4x4 for?  If not on a farm, are you traveling off the road in sand or mud? 

... "as it will need to drive on farms" ... :coffee1:

On 4/14/2024 at 2:15 PM, Kinnock said:

Hi There i have a 4x4 Isuzu  for sale it has 300000km but always serviced and in Good state of repair   just had the diesel pump in the tank renewed  with original spare  if u interested contact me via this site 

• Like 1

My Colorado is 4WD and we do have a farm up far NE. I also enjoy going off of the beaten path.

I got stuck on our farm once. But then I put it in 4WD and continued on my way.

In Rayong, the Chevrolet service is at the MG showroom on highway 36.

The Chevrolet service center that I went to in Phuket didn't seem to be associated with any other brand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Issanman said:

My Colorado is 4WD and we do have a farm up far NE. I also enjoy going off of the beaten path.

I got stuck on our farm once. But then I put it in 4WD and continued on my way.

In Rayong, the Chevrolet service is at the MG showroom on highway 36.

The Chevrolet service center that I went to in Phuket didn't seem to be associated with any other brand. 

yes almost all old  chevvy centres are now another brand but retain the servicing side, there arent as many as Toyota ect I think 79 nationwide.

Without doubt a Toyota.............:clap2:

Preferably a 2.3 or 2.8, it has a timing chain, if a 2.5 or 3.0, its belt must be changed at 150,000km. Be sure it has been replaced, though it is not that expensive to get it replaced..

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NedR69 said:

Gearstick??  Do you mean like the shifter?  WTH, why did it need replacing?

Shifter?  Maybe that's the American term. Its a known fault where the button that has to be pressed to move it out of Park or into Reverse breaks making it very difficult to move between gears.

Aftermarket repair kits are available very cheaply but I decided on a genuine part. The repair kit isn't available as OEM - only a complete gearstick.

• Thumbs Up 1