Heavily Injured Foreign Man Found Near Pattaya’s Walking Street, Police Investigate

webfact

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Ridiculous, ignorant comment. Cannabis induces calm, not loss of control. Alcohol and/or meth, on the other hand,  lead to drunkeness and aggression.

Rubbish. Even more ignorant and the wrong defence.

I have seen first hand a guy doped to the gills on cannabis trying to put on a pair of shorts.

He fell over at least five times when he lifted one leg up to put in the shorts.

In the end he had to sit on the floor to do it and I had to help him get up.

If that is not 'loss of control' then tell me what it is.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kentrot said:

Does anyone else see a pattern with these kinds of posts :

Yes.  People, regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation, like to drink a lot and often end up injuring themselves, peaking at "home time".

I'm sure plenty of local Thais ended up in the hospital last night due to drunken injuries.

3 hours ago, kentrot said:

Does anyone else see a pattern with these kinds of posts :

At 5:00 a.m., officials from the Sawang Boriboon rescue center

were notified by a local resident about a foreigner in need of assistance.

Nothing good happens after midnight!

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Part of that problem is children seeing their parents drink to excess. Another is absent parenting. Also, children look to their peers for guidance, not understanding it should be their parents (if available) instead of other clueless children. They experiment, not knowing that many of them will become addicted to things like alcohol and or drugs, because their brains, not yet developed, take in these drugs and addiction can start in many. People like to drink to escape life, at least for awhile. It lowers their inhibitions, makes them more sociable, but also creates problems, the least of which is driving after drinking, which of course kills thousands every year. The education starts at home, and if it's not there, it occurs on the streets.

A scholarly analysis of "EastEnders" [a long running soap opera in the UK, for those lucky enough never to have seen it] showed that on average characters were shown having an alcoholic drink every 30 seconds. 

That, combined with the last few decades of Radio 1 shows in which presenters gloried in the previous night's excesses, has helped to normalise the over-consumption of alcohol in the UK. 

Before then, being visibly drunk was a source of shame.  And rightly so. 

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Yeah , time to re-criminalize cannabis .

Doubt that was the case. Out of the blue I suspect, a few too many beers and being gobby with a few locals!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Rubbish. Even more ignorant and the wrong defence.

I have seen first hand a guy doped to the gills on cannabis trying to put on a pair of shorts.

He fell over at least five times when he lifted one leg up to put in the shorts.

In the end he had to sit on the floor to do it and I had to help him get up.

If that is not 'loss of control' then tell me what it is.

I believe he was comparing alcohol to weed, and there is no comparison. Weed hasn't caused the deaths,addictions, rehabs and loss of homes and families like alcohol has. I have seen countless people on the ground, passed out drunk and in accidents because of alcohol and not one because of weed. It does slow you down but that happens because they smoke too much at one time and usually fall asleep. I smoked weed and never fell down. I did after drinking lose balance a few times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

A scholarly analysis of "EastEnders" [a long running soap opera in the UK, for those lucky enough never to have seen it] showed that on average characters were shown having an alcoholic drink every 30 seconds. 

That, combined with the last few decades of Radio 1 shows in which presenters gloried in the previous night's excesses, has helped to normalise the over-consumption of alcohol in the UK. 

Before then, being visibly drunk was a source of shame.  And rightly so. 

The same with American TV, where they were always shown drinking in many shows. It was considered normal to have cocktails before eating but you didn't see the end results. Many of these actors themselves had major trouble after a lifetime of drinking. It wasn't just the poor that were getting drunk but the rich also, going home, abusing their partners, having accidents driving, hurting their family at home with aggression and losing jobs. I still remember the Marlboro Man, from cigarette commercials where advertising was allowed, much the same way about beer commercials during sports games.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Caucasian? Gosh, it'll be hard to find anyone here with a common language.

Nope, here I am at your service. The proper word in common language is farang.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I believe he was comparing alcohol to weed, and there is no comparison. Weed hasn't caused the deaths,addictions, rehabs and loss of homes and families like alcohol has. I have seen countless people on the ground, passed out drunk and in accidents because of alcohol and not one because of weed. It does slow you down but that happens because they smoke too much at one time and usually fall asleep. I smoked weed and never fell down. I did after drinking lose balance a few times.

It’s like some competition with alcoholics 

19 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

Didn't he die from cancer? 

At least five of the actors that played the Marlboro man died from smoking related illnesses

Edited by fredwiggy

50 minutes ago, Richard Hall said:
4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Caucasian? Gosh, it'll be hard to find anyone here with a common language.

Nope, here I am at your service. The proper word in common language is farang.

I was satirizing the use of the word 'Caucasian' to mean 'white man'.

If he were really from the Caucasus, his likely first language would be hard to find here in Thailand or indeed anywhere outside the Caucasus, and his second language would likely be Russian.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

One night, many years ago, my wife and I were walking along the beach walk in Pattaya back to our hotel. It was super late. We saw a farang getting into a fight with a motor bike taxi driver. The motor bike taxi driver got on his phone. My wife and I both looked at each other and said the same thing, "there's ten guys coming round the corner". Nothing good happens early in the morning with a bunch of booze on board. Just my opinion.

You are correct sir

7 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

My point was that they should criminalize alcohol consumption instead of cannabis , as alcohol seems more dangerous .

Got it ?

Then make that point coherently. You haven’t really mastered the skill of irony if that’s what you wer3 attempting 

4 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

Then make that point coherently. You haven’t really mastered the skill of irony if that’s what you wer3 attempting 

it  was meant to be sarcastic ....

my fault , I was not clear enough ... next time I will ...

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

it  was meant to be sarcastic ....

my fault , I was not clear enough ... next time I will ...

Fair enough then. But yes Poe’s law does strike regularly here. 😜 

• Like 1

To address some of the answers concerning substance abuse - specifically alcohol and cannabis potential harm comparisons.

The dangers of alcohol are well known - but people misunderstand its effects, thinking it enhances enjoyment. Actually, alcohol is a central nervous system (brain) depressant. It depresses (suppresses) higher functioning processes making judgement poor which looks like you bare enjoying yourself. It is behaviorally very addictive over time and will not only damage the brain but other body organs.

Cannabis, in this discussion (responses), works in a very different way but is also dose-dependent. There are well-documented and not infrequent cases of people uses cannabis where people become paranoid and/or have psychotic breaks - a serious problem.

Getting high is stated as calming etc - but if taken to excess or with other substances (including nicotine/vaping/pills/alcohol) can have unpredictable consequences. Not least of which can be that a really strong high can make you a victim of crime when your high state is taken advantage of or the THC level of your weed/ hash etc is extremely high (and you will not know), or adulterated.

So - cannabis is not as harmless as some people think - although everyone defends their own behavior whether valid or not.

If you take any substance to change your state of reality, then you are at risk of becoming dependent whether physically, psychologically, or both. Legal or not is not the issue - just how humans operate.