US expats be warned -- Trump intends to devalue greenback

Now this is an election policy issue that should definitely interest expats.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/15/devaluing-dollar-trump-trade-war-00152009

Trump trade advisers plot dollar devaluation

Advisers close to the former president — particularly his former trade chief Robert Lighthizer — are considering policies that would weaken the dollar relative to other currencies, which could juice U.S. exports but also fuel inflation.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

...been sending greenbacks to EU already and will keep in Euros.

I noticed Euros were valued high in Thailand and specially in Vietnam last winter.

I don't make too many predictions but I do make this one, Trump won't be elected and I think Biden will drop out.....he can't campaign and can't debate and America should have a leader who has all his faculties. I think Trump's law fare situation is looking dire, and there is a limit to how much the SCOTUS can dig him out of his farcical situation. His musings against biased judges and biased AGs and prosecutors are always spot on, but his bleating them out without compelling evidence isn't helping him. I think he will be rid of the vile perjurer Fani Williams soon, but will still have a law suit against him in a hostile county. Contrast the FBI won't prosecute Biden because he is frail and weak minded and I betcha Hunter gets tried in a Biden-or-die state/county. American Injustice in a politically polarised country where when one side is winning they care nothing for due process....but complain like hell when they are losing. The US is a BROKEN BANANA STATE. Pity the poor world with this pretend leader as the hegemon.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Another one of Trump's harebrained schemes which only his idiot supporters would buy into.  Even if Trump managed to manipulate the USD, other countries could do the same which would bring us back to square one.  But it would wreak havoc in the world financial markets and make the US a laughingstock.  

On 4/17/2024 at 1:58 AM, Jingthing said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/15/devaluing-dollar-trump-trade-war-00152009

Advisers close to the former president — particularly his former trade chief Robert Lighthizer — are considering policies that would weaken the dollar relative to other currencies, which could juice U.S. exports but also fuel inflation.

That was his policy last time, too.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:54 AM, retarius said:

I don't make too many predictions but I do make this one, Trump won't be elected and I think Biden will drop out.....he can't campaign and can't debate and America should have a leader who has all his faculties. I think Trump's law fare situation is looking dire, and there is a limit to how much the SCOTUS can dig him out of his farcical situation. His musings against biased judges and biased AGs and prosecutors are always spot on, but his bleating them out without compelling evidence isn't helping him. I think he will be rid of the vile perjurer Fani Williams soon, but will still have a law suit against him in a hostile county. Contrast the FBI won't prosecute Biden because he is frail and weak minded and I betcha Hunter gets tried in a Biden-or-die state/county. American Injustice in a politically polarised country where when one side is winning they care nothing for due process....but complain like hell when they are losing. The US is a BROKEN BANANA STATE. Pity the poor world with this pretend leader as the hegemon.

The majority of Americans will crawl across broken glass to vote against him. Only his core acolytes will vote for him. And they aren't numerous enough. They appear larger than reality because they follow him around the country appearing at his rallies like Deadheads for the Grateful Dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He'll also appoint someone to the Fed who he can arm-twist to lower interest rates (whether appropriate or not).

And that too will lower the dollar.

How much of racist retard do you have to be to just keep on emptying the gun into your own hapless foot just to say 'suck it libtards'?

• Sad 1

On 4/17/2024 at 5:34 AM, theshu25 said:

Be hard to do when the filthy grifter is in jail.

2 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

He'll also appoint someone to the Fed who he can arm-twist to lower interest rates (whether appropriate or not).

And that too will lower the dollar.

How much of racist retard do you have to be to just keep on emptying the gun into your own hapless foot just to say 'suck it libtards'?

So instead you mock people with down syndrome?

Your a hypocrite John 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I suspect the dollar's headed lower after the elections no matter who is elected.

Inflation is going to remain "sticky" for the forseeable future, which is going to tie the Fed's hands in terms of lowering rates. I don't expect any rate cuts between now and the election. The main drivers behind the inflation are deficit spending which is pumping trillions of "extra" dollars into the economy, as well as climate change which is driving food prices higher. Every indication is that under this "higher for longer" scenario, something is going to "break".  

My guess is that it will most likely be the banking system that is struggling to retain deposits, is sitting on trillions of unrealized paper losses on their bond portfolios, and is facing a looming risk of commercial property loan defaults due to reduced demand and valuations for office and retail properties due to remote working and on line shopping. Other likely potential "breaking" points could come in the housing market due to high mortgage rates cutting into demand or a drop in the stock market as investors realize that interest rates are going to remain high.

When that breaking point comes, the Fed is probably going to slash interest rates and when it does, the dollar is going to crater like we haven't seen in a long time. Were Trump to respond to the next financial crisis  by slashing taxes (probably mostly for the rich) or engaging in additional rounds of fiscal stimulus which would further balloon the Federal debt, this would greatly amplify the negative impact on the dollar.

As far as I can determine, the outlook for the US dollar going forward is poor. The occupant of the White House will have a huge impact on who will likely suffer the most as a result of the devaluation, but I don't see (m)any magic bullets to make this structural problem disappear. 

Edited by Gecko123

The Plaza accord, mentioned in the Politico article as a possible template for what Trump's policies would be, was designed to weaken the US dollar so as to make US exports more competitive in Japan. Japan artificially suppressed its interest rates in the process, causing all the capital that Japan was earning from its exports to go into the Japanese real estate and stock markets (because bond and savings yields were so unattractive) and created a huge bubble which burst in the early 1990's resulting in decades of deflation which Japan still hasn't fully recovered from. It's doubtful that after that fiasco, there are many countries out there who would enter into such a scheme with the US again.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:58 PM, Jingthing said:

A strong dollar makes it harder for developing countries to pay back their debts.

I don't think is fair to make the rest of the world pay for past US monetary mistakes.

Trump and Biden have both created dollars like crazy.

The devaluation of the dollar will happen regardless of who's the next president.

So I'm calling BS on your anti-Trump fearmongering.