Properly stored meat in refrigerator How long do you keep?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So true. It could have been caused by licking a finger that was somewhere unfortunate.

I've had 2 bouts of serious food poisoning- one was from a Maccers in NZ, and the other from an upmarket restaurant in Bkk.

Again how do you know where you were poisoned? While there are certain types of food poisoning that kick in within a few hours, typical cases of food poisoning take 24-48 hours before they start to show symptoms.

Unless on both occasions they were the only place you'd eaten for the last couple of days, or an investigation took place to determine the source, you can't be even nearly sure where you got sick.

• Agree 1

On 4/19/2024 at 12:05 PM, JayClay said:

typical cases of food poisoning take 24-48 hours before they start to show symptoms.

Bacillus cereus: 30 minutes to 15 hours

Campylobacter: 2 to 5 days

Clostridium botulinum: 18 to 36 hours 

Clostridium perfringens: 6 to 24 hours

Escherichia coli (E. coli): Usually 3 to 4 days, possibly 1 to 10 days

Listeria: 9 to 48 hours for digestive disease, 1 to 4 weeks for body-wide disease

Salmonella: 6 hours to 6 days

Shellfish poisoning: Usually 30 to 60 minutes, up to 24 hours

Staphylococcus aureus: 30 minutes to 8 hours

Vibrio: 2 to 48 hours

But i do agree, unless there is a common denominator, it can be difficult to pin point the source.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2024 at 3:39 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

after 2 hrs the bacteria starts.....

yeh i been seeing those bacteria wearing rolex watches and colourful swatches, counting down the seconds to start,
Bacteria in food will significantly grow whenever temp is between 4-60C
bacteria does not wait 2 hours to start
in optimal conditions of 37C some bacteria can double through binary fission every 10-20 minutes

19 hours ago, patman30 said:

yeh i been seeing those bacteria wearing rolex watches and colourful swatches, counting down the seconds to start,
Bacteria in food will significantly grow whenever temp is between 4-60C
bacteria does not wait 2 hours to start
in optimal conditions of 37C some bacteria can double through binary fission every 10-20 minutes

as i noted...keep hot foods hot--cold foods cold......life has variables..

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2024 at 3:39 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

2 hr rule....hot foods hot cold food cold......after 2 hrs the bacteria starts.....rice is a big culprit here as well and poor hygiene....  touching money and food also--street food...unwashed produce

Exactly what I learned at hygiene/cooking course many years ago.

But here, my Mrs cooks dishes and a pot of rice for the family first thing in the morning and it is left out on the table for folks to help themselves as and when they want. No-one seems to get any tummy problems, but I give it a miss.

I heard that at KFC they discard any chicken over 4 hours old. A tub was left on the table for over 24 hours.

At Thai fried chicken stalls, I wonder how long since it was cooked, and what happens to the un-sold stuff. 

Freeze it.

i stopped buying market meats and tend to buy at grocery stores. Maybe it’s not any better idk. But at least there’s some type of refrigeration.

I figured a way to freeze things that is vacuum sealed quality without a vacuum sealer. You just buy plastic wrap and wrap it up very well and squeeze out all the air pockets and I’m telling you, you can eat stuff months later from the freezer. No freezer burn. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, bendejo said:

General rule for leftovers: if it is still there on day #3 it gets tossed.

With raw meats play it by ear: smell, texture, color.

i actually go for 4 as a rule for me....agree with meats...how you seal leftovers is a big difference as well..the nose KNOWS! lol

17 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Freeze it.

i stopped buying market meats and tend to buy at grocery stores. Maybe it’s not any better idk. But at least there’s some type of refrigeration.

I figured a way to freeze things that is vacuum sealed quality without a vacuum sealer. You just buy plastic wrap and wrap it up very well and squeeze out all the air pockets and I’m telling you, you can eat stuff months later from the freezer. No freezer burn. 

agreed if properly stored aka freezer burn but any meat from fresh to frozen loses its quality....even most "fresh" fish for sushi is frozen as per catch of the day....as in frozen pizza vs freshly made

17 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Exactly what I learned at hygiene/cooking course many years ago.

But here, my Mrs cooks dishes and a pot of rice for the family first thing in the morning and it is left out on the table for folks to help themselves as and when they want. No-one seems to get any tummy problems, but I give it a miss.

I heard that at KFC they discard any chicken over 4 hours old. A tub was left on the table for over 24 hours.

At Thai fried chicken stalls, I wonder how long since it was cooked, and what happens to the un-sold stuff. 

yep i went to cooking school in 87 been cooking over 30 yrs...even in LOS is why i also quit here as the lack of safety--food temps--hygiene was shocking..i worked for a good company too...

your gut adapts to environment too...kinda like when tourists arrived and eat street food....I was the same ...the body can adapt to hot temps here etc....as i see the tourists sweating as im biking

the kfc chix gets pulled as its quality control and dries out under the heat lamps--which is the problem of keeping foods at safe temps but also will dry out the meat --is why places like chik fil a would recycle the chicken into chicken salad..mayo is fat and hydrates the meat....would also do it at whole foods....pull meat off old rotisserie chixs and make chix salad......at $10 usd /lb!   I called it trash to cash 🙂

wendys does it with the old burgers and makes the chili.....good idea imo as it saves food loss and costs..its still good...just repurposed..the sauce in the chili hydrates the old dried out burger meat

when u see a nice red steak at store it will get brown from oxygen...then it gets the store marinade to cover that brownness.....just a parlor trick....its still good but no one wants to buy a brown steak

I would cook for a hot bar and would make dishes that had a sauce..chili..or cream sauce--pasta etc....pasta is cheap but the sauce can keep it up to temp/safety and it will weigh more-hence profits...

at chix stalls in CM i always check the OIL....is it black and old...aka re-used....it will mess you up!......and go when they are frying it fresh..are they clean...using a homemade fan to keep flies off???

as opposed to a cafe or rest that has a huge menu and few customers...how long have they had stock//turnover....busy places turn food quick or stalls that cook in your view and maintain clean areas

also why i never eat seafood in Cm there is no ocean and this heat...also prob farm fishes with little regulations...like the cheap thai shrimp is see in the stores back home thats overpriced junk...nothing worse than that now closed shop in anusarn market in night bazaar that had all the seafood laying out.....and all the chinese that ate it as i KNOW they would not throw out old fish..just bleach out the smell....as crab lobster aint cheap and throwing it out means money loss and besides they are just rich chinese tourists...i know as i worked as a chef in CM and quit due to the mai pen rai attitude towards safe handling...

• Thumbs Up 1