'Openly Jewish' man threatened with arrest by Police near pro-Palestine march

Social Media

By wearing his kippah, he's not simply being 'openly Jewish', he obviously is Jewish and proud of it.

Now, if you compare that with the majority of protesters, proudly sporting the keffiyeh that they bought online...

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why was a Jew singled out?

Because the officer believed he was about to put himself and others in harms way would be my guess.

But you’d have to ask the particular officer who was making on the spot decisions.

Remember to take your hindsight along with you when you do.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because the officer believed he was about to put himself and others in harms way would be my guess.

But you’d have to ask the particular officer who was making on the spot decisions.

Yeah, we don't want Jews walking peacefully on our streets, that'll never do. Maybe we could find somewhere to lock them up while these hate marches are taking place, it's for their own good remember.🥴

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Trying to be a martyr simply by crossing a London street; you obviously think that these ‘peaceful’ pro-Palestinian protesters are a collective of dangerous, violent extremists ….. and you might well be right.

Walking into a Protest is a little more than crossing the street.

But the activist is unharmed, safe and well, which I think is a good thing.

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Yeah, we don't want Jews walking peacefully on our streets, that'll never do. Maybe we could find somewhere to lock them up while these hate marches are taking place, it's for their own good remember.🥴

But there were Jews walking peacefully within the Protest March.

Maybe a bit of hyperbole on your part.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps no hindsight is needed if you watched the vid. What he had to say and what other more senior police officers said to him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Nothing hyperbole on my part, just you making up excuses again. If a man cannot be safe walking near a demonstration the problem lies with the marches and not the peaceful man. Why can't you see this?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Please don't chop my posts to give the post a different meaning , thanks .

It is against forum rules and it was a reference to the OP story where a man got removed from the street simply for being Jewish and you deleting some of my post gave it a different meaning .

Don't do it again 

OK, I won't.

What's your honest opinion on this event?

There are several Jewish groups on these marches, some are very visible such as the very conservative/traditional Jews that wear the black hats, garb and beards etc. There were 13 Jewish groups marching in London over the weekend.

I think this man was trying to cause problems, because there were so many other obviously Jewish people at the march.

Hundreds of thousands join largest ...Jewish solidarity with Palestinians on ...Get to know the pro-Palestinian anti ...13 Jewish organisations join National ...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Can you provide a link to that

Here you go:

Max Hammer, 22, is a member of Na’amod, a Jewish group opposing the occupation of Palestinian lands. He is one of the hundreds who have formed a Jewish bloc” – a coalition of Jewish groups that are calling for a ceasefire in Gaza – who attend the marches. He said: “Despite the fact that these marches are often sort of labelled as ‘dangerous for Jews’, one of the things that I found really empowering is to be part of the ‘Jewish bloc’ and see how many Jews are actually out on the streets declaring loudly their solidarity with Palestinians. We are always welcomed very, very heartily.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/13/weve-built-something-extraordinary-six-months-of-uk-pro-palestine-marches

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Disgraceful behaviour from the institutionally anti-semitic Met, although they have since made a lame, perfunctory apology; if a Jewish man cannot cross a London street during a pro-Palestinian march, then it is not a pro-Palestinian march, it is an anti-semitic march ….. but anyone that’s been paying attention knew that already.

More hyperbole.

Institutionally antisemitic?

Antisemitic March, I suspect the Jews taking part in the march disagree.

Walking into a Protest March is not simply crossing the street.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Here you go:

Max Hammer, 22, is a member of Na’amod, a Jewish group opposing the occupation of Palestinian lands. He is one of the hundreds who have formed a Jewish bloc” – a coalition of Jewish groups that are calling for a ceasefire in Gaza – who attend the marches. He said: “Despite the fact that these marches are often sort of labelled as ‘dangerous for Jews’, one of the things that I found really empowering is to be part of the ‘Jewish bloc’ and see how many Jews are actually out on the streets declaring loudly their solidarity with Palestinians. We are always welcomed very, very heartily.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/13/weve-built-something-extraordinary-six-months-of-uk-pro-palestine-marches

You said:

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That link does not back up your claim on that date. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

There are several Jewish groups on these marches, some are very visible such as the very conservative/traditional Jews that wear the black hats, garb and beards etc. There were 13 Jewish groups marching in London over the weekend.

I think this man was trying to cause problems, because there were so many other obviously Jewish people at the march.

Hundreds of thousands join largest ...Jewish solidarity with Palestinians on ...Get to know the pro-Palestinian anti ...13 Jewish organisations join National ...

I would guess there are openly Muslim groups on anti Hamas or pro Israel marches to, but that's nothing to do with the OP's experience, it is all to do with deflection.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Nothing hyperbole on my part, just you making up excuses again. If a man cannot be safe walking near a demonstration the problem lies with the marches and not the peaceful man. Why can't you see this?

But he is safe.

And the Jews within the Demonstration were safe too.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered and replies contravening our Community Standards have been removed:

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Just for clarification :

My full post (above) and you just quoted  *the reason why Jews need to be removed* words to give a different context 

My apologies.

Were the police officers trying to prevent Gideon Falter, the head of the Campaign Against Antisemitism (CAA) from simply being there?

My opinion, despite the protest organizers having a permit, is that he has more right to be there than the protesters. If the presence of a single Jew is likely to create an incident, then surely the issue is not with the single Jewish person being present. Maybe there's an issue with the entity that issues these protest permits?

There is the 'preventing a possible crime' aspect of the police officer's actions being open to misunderstanding, misinterpretation and manipulation. The media's good at that.

For me, it's akin to American law enforcement's idea of "criminal activity" when they observe a single black person, the 'walking while black' as black people call it. But before this war broke out, I think the British police were more inclined to take action on the 'walking while BAME' rather than 'walking while Jewish'.

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

He was accused of being in breach of the peace, why were the protestors not also accused of that?

The protesters had a permit issued by the authorities.

These permits grant the right to peaceful protest and not breach of the peace.

That's why the police attend the protests.

16 minutes ago, metisdead said:

A post in which the quoted content had been altered and replies contravening our Community Standards have been removed:

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

I have apologised to @Nick Carter icp the content of whose post I altered.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How does that equate to a Jew walking in London, does he need a permit now otherwise he is liable to be arrested?

No, a Jew walking in London does not need a permit to do so and is not liable to be arrested for doing so.

However, anyone of any faith who refuses to take advice on personal safety from a police officer attending a protest may be arrested for being an idiot in order to prevent a breach of the peace.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1