Wrong visa stamp on arrival

Hi please can someone advise me/maybe provide some reassurance. 

My boyfriend and i arrived in Thailand last Saturday (13th) through Bangkok and got a flight that day straight to Koh Samui. We’re here for 3 weeks then are moving on to some other islands etc.. anyway we both showed our 60 day tourist visa to the immigration officer and they gave my boyfriend the 60 day stamp but gave me only 30 day stamp. I know i should have checked now when leaving but this is our first time and i didnt know. We have only just noticed luckily by our airbnb host and now the immigration office isnt open until monday and i keep reading online they may say i have to go back to bangkok and i am getting very worried. Flights are costing £250 each all of next week and i really don’t want to have to pay that all for a stamp mistake. Do you think they will fix it at the samui immigration office is there anything i can do to make sure? 

Any help would be great please, thanks.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

Best case they will correct the error in Samui.  Worst case you should be able to get a 30 day extension (for THB1900) of the 30 day entry they gave you.  

Thankyou. I have another question, if its the worst case how do i still get my stay to 150 days as that is our plan to stay in thailand for 150 and we can only do 2 border runs?

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, miaclarkson03 said:

Flights are costing £250 each all of next week and i really don’t want to have to pay that all for a stamp mistake.

Will you go back to Bangkok at any point within the 30 days you've been stamped in for? There's no need to get this fixed immediately / next week. 

I'd try to get it fixed at immigration on Ko Samui first. If they say they can't (or won't) do it, you can still make other plans.

A visa exempt entry by air doesn't count against your land border run quota, so you can still re-enter twice overland. 

Edited by Caldera

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Will you go back to Bangkok at any point within the 30 days you've been stamped in for? There's no need to get ot fixed next week. 

I'd try to get it fixed at immigration on Ko Samui first. If they say they can't (or won't) fix it, you can still make other plans.

A visa exempt entry by air doesn't count against your land border run quota, so you can still re-enter twice overland. 

yes that is the problem we are not going to bangkok until june in our itinerary :(

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

This happens more frequently than reported on this forum.
Any Immigration office should correct the date on the permission of stay stamp, provided you've filed a TM30 (Notification of an aliens residence)

What is a TM30?

9 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

This happens more frequently than reported on this forum.
Any Immigration office should correct the date on the permission of stay stamp, provided you've filed a TM30 (Notification of an aliens residence)

Does this mean my airbnb host has to have done this?

1 minute ago, miaclarkson03 said:

What is a TM30?

It's a notification to Immigration of a foreigner's residence.
It's the duty of hotel and guest house managers to file the report.

Airbnb are agents, and not their responsibility, unless the owners have left them copies of their ID and house documents.

4 minutes ago, miaclarkson03 said:

What is a TM30?

Owner of the Airbnb has to report to the Thai Immigration that you are staying in his/her property

Its done on the Thai Immi website

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJoy said:

Owner of the Airbnb has to report to the Thai Immigration that you are staying in his/her property

Its done on the Thai Immi website

They took our details (photocopy of passports) does this mean its done should i ask them for a copy of this tm30?

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It's a notification to Immigration of a foreigner's residence.
It's the duty of hotel and guest house managers to file the report.

Airbnb are agents, and not their responsibility, unless the owners have left them copies of their ID and house documents.

They took a photocopy of our passports? Will the office not complete without a tm30?

• Like 1

Section 38 of the Immigration Act.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

Section 4 defines the housemaster as;
“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

They took our details (photocopy of passports) does this mean its done should i ask them for a copy of this tm30?

Yes, but don't be surprised if they state not our problem.

They took a photocopy of our passports? Will the office not complete without a tm30?

Without a notification of where you're residing, Immigration may refuse any kind of service.
As the tenant of the residence, they could also hit you with the fine for not complying.

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Without a notification of where you're residing, Immigration may refuse any kind of service.
As the tenant of the residence, they could also hit you with the fine for not complying.

But i have notification because we have confirmation of our stay and i am also going to ask airbnb owners for this document? What do u mean about a fine for not complying, what have i not complied with?

Who u mean the airbnb owners? They are very friendly i am hoping they would give this document to me?

Hopefully they can give you a copy then.

This is a law you need to be aware of if you intend to move to different parts of Thailand and visit Immigration offices to apply for 30 day extensions.

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Read my above post section 38 and section 4.

An Airbnb is not a hotel or guest house, it's a private residence being rented out.

That makes you as the tenant just as responsible as the landlord to file a TM30.

TM30-Notification of alien residence.pdf 

1 minute ago, Liquorice said:

Read my above post section 38 and section 4.

An Airbnb is not a hotel or guest house, it's a private residence being rented out.

That makes you as the tenant just as responsible as the landlord to file a TM30.

TM30-Notification of alien residence.pdf 414.78 kB · 0 downloads  

Okay thankyou well i’ll ask them in the morning. If i don’t have it do u still think its possible they will restamp me as we have proof of accommodation online?

12 minutes ago, miaclarkson03 said:

Okay thankyou well i’ll ask them in the morning. If i don’t have it do u still think its possible they will restamp me as we have proof of accommodation online?

Your proof of online booking counts for nothing.
When filing a TM30 Immigration will require a copy of the owner's house book (Tabien Baan) which identifies the address and a copy of the owner's ID card, (that is if the owners are Thai) and a copy of your passport ID page.

Most 'tourists' stay less than 30 days and never have need to visit an Immigration office, so the non filing of a TM30 doesn't really affect them.
As you have a date to correct on your entry stamp, and if it's your intention to stay 150 days, at some point you'll need to apply for at least one 30 day extensions at an Immigration office, then you need to be aware of only staying at a residence that complies with the law and files a TM30. You can request a copy of that filing, and that's the proof Immigration will require when applying for any kind of service.

Edited by Liquorice

@miaclarkson03, you are aware that you can extend that 60 day permission of stay by a further 30 days at an Immigration office (once you get your stamp corrected)

A land border run and re-entry will grant you a further stay of 30 days, which can be extended by a further 30 days at Immigration.
A second land border run and re-entry will grant you a further stay of 30 days, which can be extended by a further 30 days at Immigration.

A maximum of 2 land border crossing per calendar year are permitted.

An extension at Immigration cost 1,900 baht.

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

@miaclarkson03, you are aware that you can extend that 60 day permission of stay by a further 30 days at an Immigration office (once you get your stamp corrected)

A land border run and re-entry will grant you a further stay of 30 days, which can be extended by a further 30 days at Immigration.
A second land border run and re-entry will grant you a further stay of 30 days, which can be extended by a further 30 days at Immigration.

A maximum of 2 land border crossing per calendar year are permitted.

An extension at Immigration cost 1,900 baht.

Yes that was our original plan👍 which is why i want the 60 day stamp on my passport rather than having to extend it by 30 now as then i will lose 30 days by having to do a border run

11 minutes ago, miaclarkson03 said:

Yes that was our original plan👍 which is why i want the 60 day stamp on my passport rather than having to extend it by 30 now as then i will lose 30 days by having to do a border run

You won't lose anything. Immigration will correct the stamp, it happens all the time.

Just get that TM30 sorted out before you visit the Immigration office.

Even those of us that reside here permanently have to file a TM30.
Immigration track the residences of all foreigners.

55 minutes ago, miaclarkson03 said:

Who u mean the airbnb owners? They are very friendly i am hoping they would give this document to me?

Your fortunate then.
Many Airbnb owners live overseas and have a caretaker.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, miaclarkson03 said:

Ive run an airbnb....it SHOULD be up to them to DO the TM30 as its their property and you are the guest...many dont do it...can also be done on website...IMM may not even care

I would go to IMM and simply ask them to correct it....they should.....if not you have 30 days...which can be extended another 30 for 1900 bt(50usd)    you could then do the allowed 2 border runs and get another 30+ext  and the 2nd run for another 30+ext...=6 months.....i will return there in 2 weeks and ive been doing this for 15 yrs     one way never a visa   i stay my 6 months and go home.....

maybe can ask your airbnb host to go with you in case the TM30 issue comes up but id doubt they care but you never know here....my landlord in my apt does mine when i arrive each year

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Any Immigration office should correct the date on the permission of stay stamp,

One other thing, MOST (but not all) offices will correct a bad air entry stamp for you, although they are not obligated to and can send you back to the entry airport if they want to