Yellow book

franckpattaya

16 minutes ago, franckpattaya said:

Hello,

Does anyone know the paperwork to obtain a yellow book at Banglamung City Hall ?

Thanks .

Do you not have a Thai that will go with you, to get it Explained ?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I was told that there were two requirements; 1) I had to be married, 2) I had to have been resident over 12 months. To apply, translated and certified copies of passport and original 'full form' birth certificate. My U.K. birth certificate was a 'short form' which didn't state parents. May I suggest you visit your Amphur/City Hall and ask them for a list of their particular requirements. As already advised above, it is unlikely they will speak English well enough to explain so taking a Thai person with you will help.

That's a typical response from an Amphoe that doesn't know the procedure, and/or unwilling to comply.
There are no such requirements in the Civil registration act to be married, own property etc.

The short form UK birth certificate does not state parents, but then the long form, which states parents, has been rejected because the header states 'Certified copy of an entry of birth' and they request the original, not a copy.  🤔

In that situation where they request a birth certificate with parents names, have a copy of the long form birth certificate 'certified' by your Embassy, translated to Thai, then have both legalised by the MFA, as with the other documents.

Also try the Provincial Amphoe, who are more experienced and knowledgeable than the sub-district amphoe offices.

• Thanks 1

Civil Registration Act under which foreign registers his address and applies for a (yellow) house book and ID card.

Civilian Registration Act (2008) ENG.pdf 

Civilian Registration Act (2008) THAI.pdf 

The relevant sections under the amended 2008 regulation are ;

“Section 36. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for every house of both persons with Thai nationality and without Thai nationality having a domicile within the Thai Kingdom.”

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons. The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet. Registrations under paragraph one and two shall lie in the manner prescribed in the regulations under the discretion of the Director of Central Registration.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

No you don't have to be married but i realize some rules are being made up but they have a very

big book with all the rules in it and if they care to look at that it will be easier.

When I wasn't married I was turned down for the yellow book.

Once I was married no problem ( Pathum Thani )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never had to get anything translated, but I do recall the 2 witnesses that at least one must speak English. Hence my comment about going to your Amphur and asking them with a Thai, That got a Confused Emoji for some reason, even though it is the most logical thing to do.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, quake said:

Managed to give this a miss for 25 years,  so far all still good.

Here boy fetch, roll over.

Some do, too difficult for them......Nige.....:whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I never had to get anything translated, but I do recall the 2 witnesses that at least one must speak English. Hence my comment about going to your Amphur and asking them with a Thai, That got a Confused Emoji for some reason, even though it is the most logical thing to do.

Bizarre and most annoying. My two witnesses were the lady who works in my Mrs' shop and our village head woman. I'd never met the head woman previously. Neither could speak any English.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Bizarre and most annoying. My two witnesses were the lady who works in my Mrs' shop and our village head woman. I'd never met the head woman previously. Neither could speak any English.

It's nice to meet new people and share goodwill. I gave my witnesses some nice little gifts and we found our experience at Pattaya City Hall interesting and pleasant. Drop by and say hello to the headwoman sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

The guy who does these in our amphur lives in our village.  Years ago I gave him a case of Leo, plus a translation of my passport made by a local teacher, with my parent's names added in Thai script, and he gave me the book a few days later.  I didn't even visit the district office to get it.  I did some time later though, after he asked if I wanted a pink card to go with it, because of the photo on it.

You did very well!

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Come appointment day - with all the required documentation we sat there while the poor Amphur officer spent about 2 hours doing loads of paperwork - I was surprised at how much paperwork the Amphur officer had to fill out....   It was then that I understood exactly why they put up hurdles - its a lot of work for them.... 

That sounds as though they were inexperienced with the process, hence the initial resistance and the time taken.

We visited the Amphoe with no appointment. Templates on the computer, no different from printing a Blue house book.

Address details then personal details, book in the printer, flip the page and print again, took no more than 20 minutes, then down the other end of the room, photo, thumbprint, and ID card printed, another 10 minutes.

Underneath the photo on your pink ID card, you'll have two numbers

The first number identifies the Province and the Amphoe.
The second number identifies the issue number, for example mine is 0000000004, meaning I was the 4th foreigner to be issued a pink ID card from that Amphoe.

That was 11 years ago, when the bureaucratic process was much easier than now.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

That sounds as though they were inexperienced with the process, hence the initial resistance and the time taken.

We visited the Amphoe with no appointment. Templates on the computer, no different from printing a Blue house book.

Address details then personal details, book in the printer, flip the page and print again, took no more than 20 minutes, then down the other end of the room, photo, thumbprint, and ID card printed, another 10 minutes.

Underneath the photo on your pink ID card, you'll have two numbers

The first number identifies the Province and the Amphoe.
The second number identifies the issue number, for example mine is 0000000004, meaning I was the 4th foreigner to be issued a pink ID card from that Amphoe.

That was 11 years ago, when the bureaucratic process was much easier than now.

Perhaps... but it was very long winded with a lot of paper work, nothing was done on a computer that I recall...  Just lots of paper being filled out, then filed.

She got stuck into it and got on with the process and appeared to work efficiently - there was just a lot to do - the officer was very polite and friendly, she just put up some resistance at the beginning.

The Pink ID too mere minutes (max 10) as you highlighted, but that was after the two hours (about) that it took to process and issue the Yellow Book.

Numbering suggests 400 non-Thai's issued with a Pink ID before me.

IMO - they knew how much hassle it is to process the Yellow Book hence the initial heel dragging.

I suspect a lot of Amphur officers try to find a way to avoid going through the process, they get paid the same if they do this stuff or not. 

We had a similar issue at a different Amphur office when my Wife and I processed our Marriage - One officer was quite rude (she was an absolute stinker) and outright refused....  we walked out and were officially married within the hour at a different Amphur office without issue - some officers are plain lazy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Numbering suggests 400 non-Thai's issued with a Pink ID before me.

IMO - they knew how much hassle it is to process the Yellow Book hence the initial heel dragging.

The second number ends 0000000401 ?
In that case, they should have been very experienced with the procedure.

It's no different and exactly the same as printing a new Blue book for Thais.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We had a similar issue at a different Amphur office when my Wife and I processed our Marriage - One officer was quite rude (she was an absolute stinker) and outright refused....  we walked out and were officially married within the hour at a different Amphur office without issue - some officers are plain lazy.

And/or poorly trained.