Yellow book

franckpattaya

4 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The second number ends 0000000401 ?
In that case, they should have been very experienced with the procedure.

It's no different and exactly the same as printing a new Blue book for Thais.

And/or poorly trained.

Correct...   So they were experienced...    She [the Amphur Officer] seemed extremely fastidious which may have made her slower, and of course, I have no frame of reference as to how quick the process should be as that was the first and only time I've been through the process.... Although she took a shine to my Mother In Law (who was our Witness) and they were having a little chat through the process. 

It would be interesting for new people about to go through the process to know how long it's taken for others.

- Yellow Book: about 2 hours) / Pink ID: about 10 mins

- And the slowest part was getting the Translation of the Embassy Verified Copy of my Passport approved by the MFA, which had been carried out a couple of weeks before hand. 

On 4/20/2024 at 8:15 PM, Liquorice said:

That sounds as though they were inexperienced with the process, hence the initial resistance and the time taken.

We visited the Amphoe with no appointment. Templates on the computer, no different from printing a Blue house book.

Address details then personal details, book in the printer, flip the page and print again, took no more than 20 minutes, then down the other end of the room, photo, thumbprint, and ID card printed, another 10 minutes.

Underneath the photo on your pink ID card, you'll have two numbers

The first number identifies the Province and the Amphoe.
The second number identifies the issue number, for example mine is 0000000004, meaning I was the 4th foreigner to be issued a pink ID card from that Amphoe.

That was 11 years ago, when the bureaucratic process was much easier than now.

The ID number is constructed same as for Thai people  x   xxxx   xxxxx   xx   x

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The ID number is constructed same as for Thai people  x   xxxx   xxxxx   xx   x

Usually prefixed with the number '6'.

TableforIDnumbers..jpg.81e58003abd9b20176dd919bdc52c2fb.jpg

It was the issue number I referred to, which is displayed under your photo.

Usually prefixed with the number '6'.

TableforIDnumbers..jpg.81e58003abd9b20176dd919bdc52c2fb.jpg

It was the issue number I referred to, which is displayed under your photo.

One other point, my ID number starts with 8, I was told this number indicates a foreigner with lifetime permanent residence. 

On 4/20/2024 at 8:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Correct...   So they were experienced...    She [the Amphur Officer] seemed extremely fastidious which may have made her slower, and of course, I have no frame of reference as to how quick the process should be as that was the first and only time I've been through the process.... Although she took a shine to my Mother In Law (who was our Witness) and they were having a little chat through the process. 

It would be interesting for new people about to go through the process to know how long it's taken for others.

- Yellow Book: about 2 hours) / Pink ID: about 10 mins

- And the slowest part was getting the Translation of the Embassy Verified Copy of my Passport approved by the MFA, which had been carried out a couple of weeks before hand. 

Just to clarify, foreigners with lifetime permanent residence are recorded in the standard dark blue covered Tabien Baan book for the place where they reside (not in a yellow covered book).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/20/2024 at 2:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And so it begins.... 

..... the dumb responses from people who'd argue because they never felt the need for one they project that no one else would find such documentation adds a layer of convenience to their lives..... 

YAWN...

Yes, isn't strange that a bloke asks for advice then odd-balls come out of the woodwork to post cr@p, to put off members from asking questions....🤔

In this case, most of us with a yellow book have found it useful, plus very little effort to get one......🤗

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Just to clarify, foreigners with lifetime permanent residence are recorded in the standard dark blue covered Tabien Baan book for the place where they reside (not in a yellow covered book).

Correct.

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

One other point, my ID number starts with 8, I was told this number indicates a foreigner with lifetime permanent residence. 

Slightly off-topic, but the Thai definition of 'lifetime permanent residency' is IMO somewhat misleading, as if you leave the Country, you still require a re-entry permit to keep your 'permanent residency' status valid. Submit annual reports to Immigration and renew every 10 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mind boggling; any passport holder entered Thailand with a valid passport, got stamped and could manage to the a one-year visa (as this seems to be the regulation). 

Along comes the municipality office insisting on a translation of a passport, legalized by the respective Embassy and notary-stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. So, what is good for the permit to enter the country as well as to obtain a one-year stay visa .......... is not good enough for the municipality.

Maybe Srettha or any other goon in the government might want to wonder, if this is the most efficient way to deal with (mostly) NET spenders like retirees. 

What a farçe and reconfirmation of the absolute brainless operation of these government offices where left does not even know of the existence of a right. Bureaucracy seems to get worse than all those loose cannon states in central Africa - well done! 

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Mind boggling; any passport holder entered Thailand with a valid passport, got stamped and could manage to the a one-year visa (as this seems to be the regulation). 

Along comes the municipality office insisting on a translation of a passport, legalized by the respective Embassy and notary-stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. So, what is good for the permit to enter the country as well as to obtain a one-year stay visa .......... is not good enough for the municipality.

Maybe Srettha or any other goon in the government might want to wonder, if this is the most efficient way to deal with (mostly) NET spenders like retirees. 

What a farçe and reconfirmation of the absolute brainless operation of these government offices where left does not even know of the existence of a right. Bureaucracy seems to get worse than all those loose cannon states in central Africa - well done! 

But, it's where you came to live, with all its quirks...🤗

If these quirks upset you, you need first world progress/advantages, then you have a clear message, which I will not write here.......😂

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Correct.

Slightly off-topic, but the Thai definition of 'lifetime permanent residency' is IMO somewhat misleading, as if you leave the Country, you still require a re-entry permit to keep your 'permanent residency' status valid. Submit annual reports to Immigration and renew every 10 years.

Some points not quite true:

1 - It's commonly called Permanent Residence (PR) (including by immigration officers) however the correct official wording is 'Certificate of Residence'. And yes the term can be confused, there's also a letter issued by the Thai Immigration Bureau with the same title 'Certificate of Residence' used to get a Thai driving license. The letter states the address of the foreigner, nothing more. This is not the same as the small book issued to PR holders called 'Certificate of Residence', which is proof of lifetime Certificate of Residence / lifetime PR. The small PR / Certificate of Residence book does NOT have an expiry date. 

Yes you do need an exit / re-entry stamp if you do leave thailand and you have lifetime PR. Not the end of the world, and not difficult to get the stamp, and while on this point, the exit / re-entry stamp is a simple administrative exercise, there is no interview or re-consideration of the actual PR status.

2 - PR holders are NOT required to report* to the Thai immigration Bureau every year:

* Not personally

* Not in writing

* Not by any official immigration form (no such form exists).

3 - PR is issued for lifetime, there is no 10 year renewal. There is no renewal ever.

4 - PR automatically cancels on the death of the holder. 

Re items 2 and 3 above - I've had Thai lifetime PR for 27 years, I have never done an annual report nor actioned a renewal of my PR status because both are NOT required - in fact there is no such process.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Did your wife break out the special red panties when you got the much coveted 'yellow book' and 'pink ID card' or are they kept for special occasions like visa extensions and the likes?

I think it's time for your afternoon nap...........🤔

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, isn't strange that a bloke asks for advice then odd-balls come out of the woodwork to post cr@p, to put off members from asking questions....🤔

In this case, most of us with a yellow book have found it useful, plus very little effort to get one......🤗

".... never felt the need for one".  I have loud old American living near me. He loves to cause arguments.

He heard about the yellow Tabien Baan book and the pink ID card. He took his Thai wife (speaks perfect English) to the local quite big Immigration office to possibly get both items.

As per usual he yelled abuse at the immigration officer (IO) asking why the IO could not speak English and threw his US passport at another IO.

Wife walked out of the immigration office and caught a taxi home. And she now refuses to accompany him anywhere re official documents or buying anything.

He continues to NOT have a yellow book and NOT have a pink ID card. 

And of course both of these items are not issued by Thai Immigration but I'm told that the American insisted they go to the immigration office..

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Did your wife break out the special red panties when you got the much coveted 'yellow book' and 'pink ID card' or are they kept for special occasions like visa extensions and the likes?

Members who post comments like the final paragraph above should be banned for life. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:
15 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Members who post comments like the final paragraph above should be banned for life. 

100% Agree...   no idea what he's written though as he's one of just two users I have on my ignore list after lacking the intelligence to ever post anything of any intelligence, usually abusive....     an utter womble. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% Agree...   no idea what he's written though as he's one of just two users I have on my ignore list after lacking the intelligence to ever post anything of any intelligence, usually abusive....     an utter womble. 

He's now also on my ignore list.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Re items 2 and 3 above - I've had Thai lifetime PR for 27 years, I have never done an annual report nor actioned a renewal of my PR status because both are NOT required - in fact there is no such process.  

Mmmm!

I have a very good friend who's has had PR for 20+ years, currently working in Lao.

Each year he confirms his address at the local Immigration office, although this may no longer be enforced, it's just habit for him, but every 10 years he has to replace his 'red' book.

Different courses for different horses?

Edited by Liquorice

If it's of zero relevance to you, why post on the subject, or just trolling for amusement.

He just likes supporting the immigration tea & biscuits box......🤗

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Mmmm!

I have a very good friend who's has had PR for 20+ years, currently working in Lao.

Each year he confirms his address at the local Immigration office, although this may longer be enforced, it's just habit for him, but every 10 years he has to replace his 'red' book.

Different courses for different horses?

1. I have never in 27 years confirmed my address or any other detail to an immigration office, except when my C of R book has been full (full of outward / inward passport stamps) and therefore needed to be replaced. I've replaced my C of R book 3 times, every time at immigration (CW) they asked 'has any personal detail changed?' No further process.

This was raised before and it was confirmed there is no annual reporting requirement.

The RED book is a police registration book (not an immigration process), purpose being  for PR holders to give the local police notification of their residential address, it's not an immigration book / matter.

The RED police registration book must be updated every 5 years (updated means: new photo and update (if needed) of residential address). This book is not 'replaced' every 10 years.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

1. I have never in 27 years confirmed my address or any other detail to an immigration office, except when my C of R book has been full (full of outward / inward passport stamps) and therefore needed to be replaced. I've replaced my C of R book 3 times, every time at immigration (CW) they asked 'has any personal detail changed?' No further process.

This was raised before and it was confirmed there is no annual reporting requirement.

The RED book is a police registration book (not an immigration process), purpose being  for PR holders to give the local police notification of their residential address, it's not an immigration book / matter.

The RED police registration book must be updated every 5 years (updated means: new photo and update (if needed) of residential address). This book is not 'replaced' every 10 years.

What are you confused about, please share and someone will explain to you in simple words.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'll stand corrected, it was some time ago he explained it.
It may well be every 5 years, although I'm sure he stated 10.

Just now, PJ71 said:

Hold on, hold on......we have a 'red book' too? 

The plot thickens, does this trump the yellow book and pink ID card?

Yes for PR holders (only). Read further in this thread and be informed.

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

How do i do that Tranny, pls explain.

I never ever set foot in these places so not really sure what you're on about old chap, maybe a 'senior' moment you're having?

Then tell us where you get residency letter...........?  

Proof of address for things like a new driving licence...🤔

Just now, Liquorice said:

I'll stand corrected, it was some time ago he explained it.
It may well be every 5 years, although I'm sure he stated 10.

I reconfirm, must updated every 5 years at the police station where the specific foreigners file is held. Mine is at the big Police Centre in the old city in Chiang Mai. Previously at the big police center at Banglamung (chonburi).

• Thanks 1