Yellow book

franckpattaya

I took my passport, wife, house book and a village elder to the district office. They gave me the yellow book and then a pink ID card. It was a little convoluted but I have plenty of time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Will be interesting to see how the op gets on, i bet 10 baht he gives up knowing the effort is not worth it. I've noticed the same people love making long boring posts about it

If one is retired, with sod all to do, getting a yellow book is not that hard to do, easier than going to the dentist.............😱

I got mine in 2011, once I had rounded up my area headman, took about 30 minutes at the office, 20 or 40 bht, plus a drink for the headman...

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, transam said:

If one is retired, with sod all to do, getting a yellow book is not that hard to do, easier than going to the dentist.............😱

I got mine in 2011, once I had rounded up my area headman, took about 30 minutes at the office, 20 or 40 bht, plus a drink for the headman...

This is about Pattaya City Hall not nikon nowhere where you live, different process

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

This is about Pattaya City Hall not nikon nowhere where you live, different process

Never heard of Nikon Nowhere, I think you are getting me confused with someone else.  🤔

Where I live, I can see planes taking off...........😋

As for your Pattaya, nice.......😬

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Never heard of Nikon Nowhere, I think you are getting me confused with someone else.  🤔

Where I live, I can see planes taking off...........😋

As for your Pattaya, nice.......😬

So now you understand what you did many years ago isn't what the op will have to do?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I got mine in 2014, but the procedure has changed a lot since, requiring Embassy certified copies, translations, then legalised by the MFA, to be acceptable to the Amphoe.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Mmmm!

I have a very good friend who's has had PR for 20+ years, currently working in Lao.

Each year he confirms his address at the local Immigration office, although this may no longer be enforced, it's just habit for him, but every 10 years he has to replace his 'red' book.

Different courses for different horses?

Does he 'confirm his address...'or does he get a new exit / re-entry permit every year? (new exit / re-entry stamp is not an annual official requirement but most PR holders who travel abroad frequently get a multiple entry exit / re-entry permit every year.

The multiple entry exit / re-entry stamp has a life of one year then it lapses. Bu there is no regulation to say it must be immediately renewed. Renewal is at the discretion of the PR holder.  

By the way the Thai police is one agency which keeps records of where PR holders are living, through the RED police registration book which must be updated every 5 years (updated means new photo and if needed update the residential address of the PR holder). This is separate to the immigration bureau records. The RED police book is NOT an official record of holding PR.

Records of residential address / changes of residential address is also handled using the Tabien Baan book process which is handled by / the responsibility of the Amphur office system (administered by the Interior Ministry). The Tabien Baan book or it's ultimate database is NOT intended to be an official record of who holds PR. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:54 AM, zhounan said:

If I remember correctly, the most "problematic" document that they asked me was embassy-certified passport translation legalised by MOFA in Chaeng Wattana. 

The rest of the paperwork was the usual documents.

if it is to have the name in Thai, I have mine on my divorce documents, also certified by MOFA, would that not be a good enough equivalent ?

Just now, john donson said:

if it is to have the name in Thai, I have mine on my divorce documents, also certified by MOFA, would that not be a good enough equivalent ?

Unlikely because for those of us married and applying for the Yellow House Book our legal name written in Thai is also on our Thai Marriage Certificate, yet we are still required to obtain an MFA Verified translation of an Embassy Verified Copy of our Passport.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john donson said:

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unlikely because for those of us married and applying for the Yellow House Book our legal name written in Thai is also on our Thai Marriage Certificate, yet we are still required to obtain an MFA Verified translation of an Embassy Verified Copy of our Passport.

They require all the details on your passport certifying, translating, and legalising, not just your name.
Certain Amphoes also request a birth certificate be certified, translated and legalised for your parents names that are also entered in the house book.

Best to check full requirements at your local Amphoe first.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I asked Maneerat a few years ago, she said "Cannot, too difficult ha ha ha"

That's true, a few years ago it was extremely difficult and cumbersome.

Nowadays the process has been simplified and quite easy and quick. Worth another try.

Good luck

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Does he 'confirm his address...'or does he get a new exit / re-entry permit every year? (new exit / re-entry stamp is not an annual official requirement but most PR holders who travel abroad frequently get a multiple entry exit / re-entry permit every year.

The multiple entry exit / re-entry stamp has a life of one year then it lapses. Bu there is no regulation to say it must be immediately renewed. Renewal is at the discretion of the PR holder.  

By the way the Thai police is one agency which keeps records of where PR holders are living, through the RED police registration book which must be updated every 5 years (updated means new photo and if needed update the residential address of the PR holder). This is separate to the immigration bureau records. The RED police book is NOT an official record of holding PR.

Records of residential address / changes of residential address is also handled using the Tabien Baan book process which is handled by / the responsibility of the Amphur office system (administered by the Interior Ministry). The Tabien Baan book or it's ultimate database is NOT intended to be an official record of who holds PR. 

More comments added at end of my paragraph 1 above:

As said many business people who travel abroad frequently get a multiple entry exit /re-entry stamp every year. But there is no requirement that the start date on the new stamp aligns to anything.

Can be done on the day the old 1 year stamp expires, can be 1 week later, can be 6 months later. Or the PR holder may decide that because of changed personal circumstances to wait until he/she has an actual travel date (to go abroad), then apply for a single entry exit / re-enter stamp.

In this case there is no requirement to officially advice the immigration Bureau that anything has changed. And it's a confirmation that the PR holder needs to get an Exit / re-entry stamp as needed.

And a further point, I confirm an earlier comment that the exit / re-entry stamp is NOT required for domestic travel.

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nowadays the process has been simplified and quite easy and quick. Worth another try.

Good luck

On the contrary.

Years ago it was quick and easy with little bureaucracy.
I translated my passport into Thai using Google Translate and that along with my passport was sufficient. I verbally gave them the name of my parents, which they translated.
There were no requirements for 'certification' or 'legalisation' procedures then. 

Nowadays, you need to have copies of documents 'certified' by your Embassy (appointment only), then have those translated into Thai, before taking them to the MFA for legalisation (appointment only). For many, this involves a journey to Bangkok, and one/two nights stay depending on availability of appointments.

Edited by Liquorice

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

On the contrary.

Years ago it was quick and easy with little bureaucracy.
I translated my passport into Thai using Google Translate and that along with my passport was sufficient. I verbally gave them the name of my parents, which they translated.
There were 'certification' or 'legalisation' procedures then. 

Nowadays, you need to have copies of documents 'certified' by your Embassy (appointment only), then have those translated into Thai, before taking them to the MFA for legalisation (appointment only). For many, this involves a journey to Bangkok, and one/two nights stay depending on availability of appointments.

Perhaps depends on the location.

I took all my documents to the main Amphur office for Chiang Mai city including the dark blue tabien baan (TB) book (dark blue TB used for PR holders. My Thai ID number was issued 27 years ago along with the issue of the original dark blue Certificate of Residence book and my name and Thai ID number entered into the old style TB sheets at the same time.) Later, the TB sheets were retired and the TB books started.

The amphur staff at Chiang Mai took my name details (and the ID number) from my TB book to generate the pink ID card. 

18 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Mmmm!

I have a very good friend who's has had PR for 20+ years, currently working in Lao.

Each year he confirms his address at the local Immigration office, although this may no longer be enforced, it's just habit for him, but every 10 years he has to replace his 'red' book.

Different courses for different horses?

By the way the Thai police is the agency which keeps records of where PR holders are living through the RED police registration book which must be updated every 5 years 9updated means new photo and if needed update the residential address of the PR holder.

As said records of address are done through the RED police book, a police activity / responsibility.

Records of residential address / changes of residential address is also handled using the Tabien Baan book process which is handled by / the responsibility of the Amphur office system (administered by the Interior Ministry.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Perhaps depends on the location.

I took all my documents to the main Amphur office for Chiang Mai city including the dark blue tabien baan (TB) book (dark blue TB used for PR holders. My Thai ID number was issued 27 years ago along with the issue of the original dark blue Certificate of Residence book and my name and Thai ID number entered into the old style TB sheets at the same time.) Later, the TB sheets were retired and the TB books started.

The amphur staff at Chiang Mai took my name details (and the ID number) from my TB book to generate the pink ID card. 

Yours is a different situation. You had PR and already named in a Blue house book, only requiring the pink ID card.

The topic is about obtaining a Yellow house book and the procedures.

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

By the way the Thai police is the agency which keeps records of where PR holders are living through the RED police registration book which must be updated every 5 years 9updated means new photo and if needed update the residential address of the PR holder.

As said records of address are done through the RED police book, a police activity / responsibility.

Records of residential address / changes of residential address is also handled using the Tabien Baan book process which is handled by / the responsibility of the Amphur office system (administered by the Interior Ministry.

I sent you a PM regarding this.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Good luck

As @scubascuba3 says his comment was from only a couple of years ago.

From what I can see the requirements posted on the first page of this thread haven't changed in the 12 or so years since I went and asked at the Pattaya Nua office - where they said it would be easier if I was married....... 

Whether their attitude has changed to be more willing I don't know but it is theoretically still a ball ache if you have to get those translations from Bangkok. 

Examples posted from other districts don't really help the original poster.

48 minutes ago, topt said:

Whether their attitude has changed to be more willing I don't know but it is theoretically still a ball ache if you have to get those translations from Bangkok. 

Their attitude has always been quite willing and they'll readily give you a list of requirements. Lot of nice ladies in that office. For me, anyway, but I'm a nice guy as well. The only question then is whether you are willing to meet them. Lots of expats have been, and are. But one man's piece o' cake is another's harsh discipline.

Up 2 U, as we say here in Pattaya.  

Oh. You don't need to get the one translation of your passport from Bangkok or the MFA stamp. Pattaya translator can do all that for you.

You will need to get the verification from the Embassy that the copy of your passport is a true copy, however.

Me, I easily managed to enjoy my trip to Bangkok. Had some good food & drink, did a little shopping, enjoyed watching all the office ladies, and found some other interesting things to do. 'Course I could have done it all as a day trip from Pattaya, but I figured, why not have a change of scene? 

Edited by BigStar

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good luck

the requirements haven't changed, the list is further up the thread for Pattaya City Hall

On 4/22/2024 at 10:43 AM, BigStar said:

It's only mind-boggling that you've never noticed that your passport doesn't use the Thai spelling of your name and that it doesn't show your address. Yellow books and passports serve different purposes.

Your post says more about you than about Thai bureaucracy.

It would be helpful, if you would read what I wrote and then only comment.

A translation of a passport does not automatically add an address - to my limited knowledge. As I can read Thai fluently you may rest assured, that I came across the most hilarious translations, partly or completely wrong.

The ultimate winner, 10 out of 10, is and remains the following straight off a menu in a restaurant. The (European) sausage "Cervelat" got translated into ไส้กรอกเสียเวลา. Translate the Thai back into English and you'll get the "time wasting sausage" as "Cervelat" got understood as "เสียเวลา" ... or wasting time.

Another beauty is the reversal of translation. The beach towards the South of Pattaya is called หาดจอมเทียน; the English signboards all over Pattaya refer to Jomtien, Jomtian, Chom Thian, Had Shomtian, Chomtien ... among others. 

The only valid reference to spelling of a name is ...... in its original spelling; the rest is linguistic juggling. 

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

A translation of a passport does not automatically add an address - to my limited knowledge

No, most crucially, after approved by MFA, it contains the official translation of your name that will be printed on the yellow book and pink card. It's entirely irrelevant whether you agree with the official spelling and wish to blow smoke. It's the one that'll be used ultimately to grant you an ID number.

Your address in the yellow book/pink card is derived from your COR provided by Immigration and verified by two Thai witnesses.

So, again the mind-boggling news: two entirely different documents, different information on each, different purposes.

9 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

if your from the UK the answer will be NFC we don't do that

They are certifying a printed copy, as in;
We certify this to be a an original copy of ...........................

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 9:26 AM, scorecard said:

One other point, my ID number starts with 8, I was told this number indicates a foreigner with lifetime permanent residence. 

8 is also for naturalized Thais who have a blue Thai ID card.

17 hours ago, Liquorice said:

They are certifying a printed copy, as in;
We certify this to be a an original copy of ...........................

The answer will be the same, we don't do that, I know a few that have tried for varying reasons and been given that specific response, stopped about the same time as they stopped doing income letters.

• Thanks 1