Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare

snoop1130

5 hours ago, superal said:

It is clearly odds on that K. Starmer will be the next PM , after yesterdays by election results . So I have emailed him at the House of Commons and asked him if he will review / unfreeze  the UK pension for those living abroad outside of reciprocal agreement countries . What chance of a reply ?

He is a courteous and conscientious man by all accounts so I think you will certainly receive a reply.However it's unrealistic that he would endorse such a large unfunded commitment shortly before a General Election and at a time of acute financial pressure with many competing priorities.My understanding is that the cost of uprating is approximately Pounds 1 billion p.a and there are about 500,000 overseas people affected.Actually that's a smaller figure than I has earlier anticipated and is I think doable under the right circumstances.But it will in any scenario be a long time from now.What's needed I think is a much more aggressive campaign - demonstrations against visiting UK ministers, lobbying Ambassadors on every occasion with energy and directness (don't let them get away with their usual - nothing to do with me mate responses), lobbying for expat representation in Parliament like the French.Expats now have the vote so a persistent and annoying letter writing campaign to MPs can be undertaken.Don't play nice - it won't advance the cause.Don't be shy about embarrassing decision makers.

• Thanks 1

As long as one admits to be living in Thailand, pensions will not be increased. Before the incumbent PM agrees to a spend of a billion pounds, he/she will calculate the number of votes this is likely to bring him/her and they will of course, add up to zilch.

16 hours ago, jayboy said:

However it's unrealistic that he would endorse such a large unfunded commitment shortly before a General Election and at a time of acute financial pressure with many competing priorities.

Everyone wants to make it about money but that is a distraction, it is about morality and equality.

You are right it is all about campaigning which hasn't been handled very well. The APPG said it should be abolished but they tried to push financial hardship rather than injustice.

On 4/26/2024 at 2:26 PM, MicroB said:

And its possible, without having made no contributions in tax and national insurance, to return to the UK after a working career outside of it, and receive full benefit of that NHS.

Todays taxes are to pay for today's healthcare, not tomorrow's.

Only if you intend to, or imply you intend to, stay in UK.

The same for any expats.

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 10:57 AM, sambum said:

Where did you get that date from? I've been trawling many sites, and can't seem to get anyone to tie it down to a particular time or ruling.

The best I have come up with is "70 years" or  "more than 70 years"

Thanks in advance!

Here it is:

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN01457/SN01457.pdf

Edited by PeeJayEm
Spacing

To the title .. and with all things ...

... no plan (research) is a plan to fail.  

... "tarnished by unforeseen financial challenges."...

More like, tarnished by no research and lack of common sense.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

Thank you very much for that! I haven't had time to "trawl through" it yet, but I will! One thing that immediately jumped out at me was :-

16. Reciprocal social security agreements are not entered into solely with a view to paying annual uprating increases to UK pensioners living abroad. They are not strictly necessary for that purpose as uprating can be achieved through UK domestic legislation… 

So this b*****t about "reciprocal agreements" is exactly that!

The way I read it is that R.A.'s (Reciprocal Agreements) are not the reason for the annual increments not being paid - that is just an excuse trotted out periodically when the subject is broached again. 

Edited by sambum
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

To the title .. and with all things ...

... no plan (research) is a plan to fail.  

... "tarnished by unforeseen financial challenges."...

More like, tarnished by no research and lack of common sense.

Meaning.....?  🤔

The most recent test case happened a few years ago.  I believe the explanation was that the Government wasn't obliged to do it, that it would cost way too much at a time of austerity. and that it was money not spent within the UK so was not contributing to the nation's GDP.

The Government didn't want to do it, most UK residents didn't want it - to the contrary there were millions of blood thirsty sorts who didn't want to give the pension at all to expats.  Moreover the Court ruled that the Government was acting within the law, in that only the stated amount at time of retirement was legally mandatory.

I suggest that if further petitions are made then they be done in a less confrontational manner, without self righteousness, and be more realistic in their demands.  Personally, I'm convinced that the last claim failed because of the demand for backdated payments. Had the petitioners simply asked for an uprated pension then I feel it would have happened. Beware of belligerent old war horses- why do us oldsters always believe we are in the right? Boomers even more so. 🙂

• Agree 2

On 4/27/2024 at 3:51 PM, bkk_mike said:

But the UK stopped signing reciprocal agreements in 1981 - so that's quite easy to blame on Thatcher.

The UK - Philippines reciprocal agreement was signed in 1989.

Scenario :- Living in Thailand with a Thai wife.

Does this alter the amount of pension received by a British citizen compared to a British citizen who is single and living in Thailand ?

If you are married and you die , does your Thai wife receive any benefit ?

44 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Scenario :- Living in Thailand with a Thai wife.

Does this alter the amount of pension received by a British citizen compared to a British citizen who is single and living in Thailand ?

If you are married and you die , does your Thai wife receive any benefit ?

If the marriage is properly registered then she would receive a one off bereavement payment. Not sure what it is, maybe £2000-£3000, you can check on the Department of Work and Pension website 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

If the marriage is properly registered then she would receive a one off bereavement payment. Not sure what it is, maybe £2000-£3000, you can check on the Department of Work and Pension website 

Not any more............🤔

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Not any more...........

Do you know why they stopped it ?

1 minute ago, NE1 said:

Do you know why they stopped it ?

As far as I know, they stopped all payments to foreign wives, even those linked to their husband via their own N.I. number years back. 

2010, no more pension top up for a foreign wife, those who were getting it, the payments were stopped in 2020.

• Thanks 1