This heat is brutal and my Electricity bill is also brutal.....

redwood1

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

But do you have body odor though? many guys who resist the AC also stink

Do I stink?  Absolutely not!  I bathe twice a day, and, in fact, I am often told how nice I smell by both women and men.  Unlike many foreign males here, I am not overweight and I do not drink copious amounts of alcohol.  I also live in a house that I designed with double, insulated walls, high ceilings and an insulated roof.

4 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Jesus. That’s my electric bill with ac. Not this month but many months it is

5 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Jesus. That’s my electric bill with ac. Not this month but many months it is

I live in a spacious house, not a small concrete room or condo.  You probably live in a one-room box in Bangkok.

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Good grief. The 'what about-ism' is alive and well I see. You pointing to other polluting countries, and the other guy pointing to Bill Gates' jets as justification for behavior you know is contributing to the problem.

You should read Jared Diamond's 'Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.' There's a story in there about how the Easter Island society died out. They think it's because people cut down the last tree, and were no longer able to leave the island due to a lack of canoes. The lemming 'keep on doing what you're doing, change is pointless' mentality is cited over and over again in the book.

Do you have a vegetable garden? How's it doing this year? Just roll another joint, don't worry, be happy, huh?

Vegetables, particularly, the spinach are thriving  thank you very much, likewise the fruit trees and  my cannabis plantation is also doing remarkably well.The recent hot spell seems to have been accompanied by a drastic reduction in the number of pests, and indeed mosquitoes, another plus in my opinion

"Whataboutism"  not exactly sure what that means but it appears to be a phrase beloved of those who's arguments don't stand up so well to scrutiny, I class it along with other non words like "sealioning" and "gaslighting" as words spewed out by the blue haired and alphabet  communities and angst ridden teenage girls consequently i tend to ignore them

"don't worry , be happy"   sound advice indeed, you should follow that advice and stop preaching to others.  I think I will have a joint now, and indeed a refreshing cup of tea,  why not eh?  Feel free to pour yourself another whisky, I won't make a pathetic attempt to criticise you for it

I didn't know there were lemmings on Easter Island, are you sure about that , after all , as you say it was just  a "story"

13 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I run 2 12,000 BTU Inverters every night and my cill averages 3200B. This month I'm running a 25,000 BTU in my living area from 6am to 10pm. I'm expecting a 5000B bill.

Which would be 150 in Us dollars   electricity here is cheap.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

It has been hot, with overnight temperatures higher than normal as well. I am doing fine with just fans. I know in some urban areas or windowless environments air conditioning may be a necessity, but some of you might discover you can make do just fine without air conditioning. Take it easy on the electricity bill and lower your carbon emissions as well. :thumbsup:

no ac   damn

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

This heat wave is costing me a lot of money...

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

a whopping 3200 baht......This is my highest electric bill EVER in Thailand

I tried to not use the air so much but I was sweating like a pig in the condo with the aircon off...

3200 baht for one month of electricity is crazy......I would rather spend that money on more important things like drinking in bars....

They really should give farangs FREE electricity because we are not use to this heat like the Thais are.....

Has anyone else seen a big increase in their electric bill?

Coming out of the cooler hot season, in our new 3 bed, 2 bath, one floor "bungalow" we also saw a higher electric bill. But we have had at least half a month with increasing heat. I had 4 Daiken air conditioners installed. 3 units for the bedroom were about 13K BTU, the Living room about 17K BTU. 2 air running at night for sleeping. Currently, living room, my office daytime. Bill came end of last week 2626 baht, 155 units used on bill. Under $100 use a month is doable on my 65K required monthly retirement income.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It could be an issue with your AC unit or units. First of all you should always use an inverter they save up to 40% on electric. Secondarily you have to have your AC cleaned thoroughly every 6 months, the whole thing has to be dissembled, and third the screens should be cleaned every two weeks. Efficiency is the name of the game, if it's your place I would also look into insulation. 

the whole thing has to be disassembled???????

• Haha 1

A days worth of electric is at most $5. Forgo a beer or two you sodden yobs and quit complaining you could be in Manchester, Helsinki, Minneapolis or ugggggggg *keelover* Fairbanks

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

No more April or May in Thailand for me  too hot.

Other than Covid time, that was my rule. Until this year where I get June and July out of here.

5 hours ago, McTavish said:

Is there a way to shade the outside of the wall - trees, awning or lattice?   I installed a 4m x 2.4m UV 95% blockout awning outside a wall (10cm off) and it has made a huge difference.  Even a cheapie market/shop-style roll down awning will do.

Good observation as most homes here act as heat sinks ... takes a bit of time having that heat given off after the sun goes down and even then, night temperatures do not help that much outside the "cool" hot season.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

I live in a spacious house, not a small concrete room or condo.  You probably live in a one-room box in Bangkok.

Yep, that's probably where the complaints are from, low end living. Those small cheap places that seem "Ok" until the heat hits, the neighbors get unruly, or it's too crowded.

Are you in a small sweatbox room? My bill is 600 baht a month, but I can afford a place with balconies and airflow. Maybe time to get a better place. I never use a/c, just fans. You can apply that 3k a month for a better place and not need a/c.

If the heat still bothers you anywhere, maybe it's time to move to a more temperate climate. Unless, you like sitting inside all day and hanging out at the shopping mall.

Edited by JimTripper

39 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Vegetables, particularly, the spinach are thriving  thank you very much, likewise the fruit trees and  my cannabis plantation is also doing remarkably well.The recent hot spell seems to have been accompanied by a drastic reduction in the number of pests, and indeed mosquitoes, another plus in my opinion

"Whataboutism"  not exactly sure what that means but it appears to be a phrase beloved of those who's arguments don't stand up so well to scrutiny, I class it along with other non words like "sealioning" and "gaslighting" as words spewed out by the blue haired and alphabet  communities and angst ridden teenage girls consequently i tend to ignore them

"don't worry , be happy"   sound advice indeed, you should follow that advice and stop preaching to others.  I think I will have a joint now, and indeed a refreshing cup of tea,  why not eh?  Feel free to pour yourself another whisky, I won't make a pathetic attempt to criticise you for it

I didn't know there were lemmings on Easter Island, are you sure about that , after all , as you say it was just  a "story"

Your vegetable garden is doing just fine in 110 degree heat? Give me a break. Spinach has an optimal growing temperature of  50-60 degrees. When you claimed your spinach was doing well, I knew you were full if it.

Appealing to people to stop belittling those who get by without air conditioning, and reminding people that its excessive use has an environmental cost is not the same thing as "berating" and "preaching" to others about using air conditioning.

Reread my post. The use of the word "lemmings" was in reference to people following the behavior of the person in front of them, or continuing to do something they've always done, ignoring the dangers of doing so. Lemmings are famous for running off cliffs in blind stampedes. I doubt Easter Island has any lemmings.

Your feeble attempts to portray anyone who is against cannabis tourism as a "must-be" alcoholic never cease to amuse me and reflects poorly on your reasoning skills. I have never been a heavy drinker, and have not touched a drop of alcohol in close to 10 years.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Your feeble attempts to portray anyone who is against cannabis tourism as a "must-be" alcoholic never cease to amuse me and reflects poorly on your reasoning skills. I have never been a heavy drinker, and have not touched a drop of alcohol in close to 10 years.

Couple of good bong rips tend to cool me down

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

A days worth of electric is at most $5. Forgo a beer or two you sodden yobs and quit complaining you could be in Manchester, Helsinki, Minneapolis or ugggggggg *keelover* Fairbanks

I leave mine on all day during April. 

Money well spent as far as I am concerned. Only a few dollars per hour as you say.

Bill was 15,000 ish last month. It is usually 7-8000. But i live in a house, not a "condo" which is often little more than a small 25-35sqm room/dogbox.. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

My usual electric bill in the condo cost around 1500, 1600 baht a month....Last months bill was

I tried to not use the air so much but I was sweating like a pig in the condo with the aircon off...

3200 baht for one month of electricity is crazy......I would rather spend that money on more important things like drinking in bars....

They really should give farangs FREE electricity because we are not use to this heat like the Thais are.....

Has anyone else seen a big increase in their electric bill

If one has aircon, their bills are definitely higher at this time - why wouldn't they be?

Choose bars with aircon, and your problem is solved...:whistling:

Only 3200 baht. Mine was 8,421 baht. We have 2 AC's running most of the time. We like to be comfortable, so I don't mind the cost.

7 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I insulated my  house when built using double  block walls with air  gap ( sealed )12  years  ago, ceiling insulation and upvc  windows, its well sealed everywhere, costing 1800 a  month in 40c heat currently, thats on 24-7 set at 26c cooling a  50m2 area, I clean my own aircons regularly and  this is a Daikin 12000btu inverter aircon.

Wise fella.