Foreigner Assaults Phuket Tuk Tuk Driver Over Fare Disagreement

webfact

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Well, if he is and that's true, ( which it isn't ) he's working in a job reserved for Thais without a work permit.

In the Southern islands you will find plenty of Muslims and Muslim names!

Huh?????

Working????

Abdullah is the TOURIST, not the taxi driver.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think its a reaction of not biting at the dumb bigotry you are showing by digging up anything negative about the Brits and tarring a whole nation based on the news generated by a minuscule minority of idiots... 

... its just a really dumb troll to be honest....  every nation has its idiots and negative news can be found on many nations...  its a testament to your stupidity that you think this backs up any anti-brit argument you have.....  Yes, there are idiot brits around - we all know that, but your implication that its a majority or that its just the 'British' character is so galactically moronic and idiotic the only 'enlightenment' you have actually provided is that of your utter lack of balance, complete lack of ability to think critically and a significantly below average intellect. 

Nope, my point is that it´s much more Brits then other nationalities that are morons and visible in Thailand. And I do not count the Russians, as I am pretty sure you do not wish to be compared with such an uncivilized nation.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would define scam as paying a 400bht bill with a 1000bht note, and being given 100bht change ............... "no, you gave me a 500bht note". Probably the most common taxi/bar scam in Thailand.

How many times a day can you afford to lose a tenner?

I keep a 1000 baht note in my ash tray in my pick up ( older  toyotas since sold\) for emergencies etc, took the car to the car  wash place and when I got it back the 1000 had become a 100............ complained and was told prove it, called our Policeman who negotiated a 500 baht  refund without liability ect.............it  goes on for sure. Still  lost 400 though. Needless to say slagged  off that car wash to everyone I met

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Daaaaaaaammmmmm  Gottfrid....   are you flirting with Goat or is this you going straight in there with the foreplay ????

Please please please take precautions - the lovechild of you two would lead to a digital apocalypse..... 

Good defense.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Huh?????

Working????

Abdullah is the TOURIST, not the taxi driver.

Nonsense,

You can't read.

• Confused 1

On 5/1/2024 at 7:47 AM, bob smith said:

'thought they deserved?'

are you for real?

give your head a wobble !

bob.

No one should act like this even if they KNOW they are being cheated. If that is the case, they should notify the police. They should not take matters into their own hands (fists). 

I am for real.

My head doesn't wobble; it thinks.

bill.

15 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

No one should act like this even if they KNOW they are being cheated. If that is the case, they should notify the police. They should not take matters into their own hands (fists). 

I am for real.

My head doesn't wobble; it thinks.

bill.

Do you even know where you are??

The police are the biggest criminals in Thailand.

Why would anyone notify them of anything?

bob.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Watch the video for yourself.

I would never make sweeping judgments about anyone's life, characteristics or personality based on a short - and very likely highly edited video.

Yes he was a bit of a dick, but something must have precipitated that level of response - there is nothing in the video to show the led up to the altercation - I am gobsmacked the driver of the tuk-tuk accepted 100 baht for a 400 baht fare as per the OP. If the fare is 400 baht that requires either payment with separate bills for the exact change or a single bill of a larger denomination with change given back to the passenger - Neither is not shown in the video. 

What must be established is what exchange of money occured before the incident. That is not clear - so saying he has "violent tendencies" based on that short video is nonense as you and I only have no idea if he was trying to reclaim potentially 'stolen money' from the driver or if he was infact just being a drunk dick (which I am fairly sure every single poster on this forum- including you and I - have been at some point in the past) 

This trial by social media must stop as most of us only have half the 'facts' and then end up thinking our opinion is the truth. 

16 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Do you even know where you are??

The police are the biggest criminals in Thailand.

Why would anyone notify them of anything?

bob.

I am in Thailand and have lived here for over 20 years.

The police are the police in Thailand. Your judgment of them doesn't change their authority.

I would notify them if someone did something I considered illegal that greatly concerned me. In the case cited in this forum, 200, 500, or even 1,000 baht would not be of great enough concern for me to report it to the police. If the concern were over money, it would have to be much more than that, at least 5,000 baht or more like 10,000 baht or more.

38 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I am in Thailand and have lived here for over 20 years.

The police are the police in Thailand. Your judgment of them doesn't change their authority.

I would notify them if someone did something I considered illegal that greatly concerned me. In the case cited in this forum, 200, 500, or even 1,000 baht would not be of great enough concern for me to report it to the police. If the concern were over money, it would have to be much more than that, at least 5,000 baht or more like 10,000 baht or more.

stupid is as stupid does.

I'm glad the tuk tuk thief got a slap around the chops!

bob.

13 minutes ago, bob smith said:

stupid is as stupid does.

I'm glad the tuk tuk thief got a slap around the chops!

bob.

...and why would you call the tuk-tuk driver a "thief"? Why would you believe the foreigner's description of the incident over the tuk-tuk drivers?

By the way, another forum reports that the foreigner in this case has been arrested. 

Posted (edited)

Well, the first time I went in Pattaya I took a tuk tuk. We agreed for a price, he took more than an hour taking the wrong way despite I showed him the destination on google maps (100 m from walking street) and he refused go give me the change because "he lost too much time" over the doubling the fare. If you go around playing your game like this, sooner than later you are going to <deleted> with the wrong person.

Once a driver charged me 200 for a 500mt ride because "my luggage was to heavy". And he freaking didn't even help me putting it in the trunk.

A month ago I took a bike in beach road ang agree for 30 bath to walking street (it was a 5 minute walk, but I had a bag and was really hot). Once arrived he wanted 100 bath.

In general I've been scammed from drivers in Thailand so many times that I'm surprised this kind of incidents are so rare. Mind me, nothing justifies violence, but if you scam the wrong person this is what is going to happen, or even worse.

Edited by Alex80

Just now, WDSmart said:

...and why would you call the tuk-tuk driver a "thief"? Why would you believe the foreigner's description of the incident over the tuk-tuk drivers?

Because I used to live in Pooket and have witnessed first hand the thuggery and scumbaggery of these red van louts!

They are the dregs of society.

bob.

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

Because I used to live in Pooket and have witnessed first hand the thuggery and scumbaggery of these red van louts!

bob.

I have to agree, same experience in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket e Hua Hin.

Nowadays I always take grab cars and bikes, it cost a little more but it's scam free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

bob.

The foreigner was charged with assault, and I think that's the right charge...EVEN IF THE TUK-TUK DRIVE DID CHEAT HIM! Just because someone cheats you doesn't give you the right to assault him.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, WDSmart said:

The foreigner was charged with assault, and I think that's the right charge...EVEN IF THE TUK-TUK DRIVE DID CHEAT HIM! Just because someone cheats you doesn't give you the right to assault him.

He's lucky he only got a slap!

He would have been on a drip if the cheeky git tried to rob me.

bob.

Edited by bob smith

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

true, but if you go around scamming people sooner or later this kind of things are going to happen. Since he has a dashcam, I wonder why the part when he receives the money wasn't released.

Edited by Alex80

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Once again , just a comment and no answers. That´s your reaction when you lost.

So you don't understand, stand down, which means "It's pointless"..........:ermm:

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

He's lucky he only got a slap!

He would have been on a drip if the cheeky git tried to rob me.

bob.

And then you would have been in jail, and would have deserved that. 

9 minutes ago, Alex80 said:

true, but if you go around scamming people sooner or later this kind of things are going to happen. Since he has a dashcam, I wonder why the part when he receives the money wasn't released.

I don't know the details, but perhaps the dashcam backed up the claims of the driver, not the foreigner. Anyway, the foreigner assaulted him, and that's on the dashcam. Cheating does not change that.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Charlest1971 said:

I am from the UK, and these kind of people make me feel ashamed to be British.
Throw this scumbag in jail and make an example of him. 
This kind of behaviour shows total disrespect for the Thai people. It’s time that the police implemented a zero tolerance approach towards criminal behaviour, carried out by tourists. 

What would you have done if the taxi had put YOUR money in his bin.......?  :whistling:

Being half p_ssed, would it be.."Ok, keep my money", or "OK, I am going to go and find a policeman"...........:burp:

28 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

By the way, another forum reports that the foreigner in this case has been arrested. 

We know, you're late, and it would seem you have never been ripped off by a taxi driver, plus you are protecting the taxi driver here when the passenger was clearly heard saying, "Give me my money".........Hmmmmm............:coffee1:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

This trial by social media must stop as most of us only have half the 'facts' and then end up thinking our opinion is the truth. 

He's been detained by police. End of story. If it looks like duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a F'ing duck.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

We know, you're late, and it would seem you have never been ripped off by a taxi driver, plus you are protecting the taxi driver here when the passenger was clearly heard saying, "Give me my money".........Hmmmmm............:coffee1:

I'm only saying that REGARDLESS of whether the taxi driver cheated him (short-changed him), that does not justify an assault. That's my only point here. 

1 minute ago, WDSmart said:

I'm only saying that REGARDLESS of whether the taxi driver cheated him (short-changed him), that does not justify an assault. That's my only point here. 

We KNOW your point, and we are not as daft as you think.........:ermm:

• Agree 1

I haven't read all the posts but nobody seems to have mentioned that under the street lights and/or in the dark Thai money is hard to see properly and 1000thb notes look like 100thb notes - especially when you are a bit tipsy. Many a time I've taken a motorcycle taxi home and I find out in the morning that a 200thb ride home has cost me considerably more because the notes look so similar. 

The brit was drunk and it was dark and they were under streetlights........and he hadn't been here very long. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he gave the driver X amount and I wouldn't be surprised if the driver saw an opportunity to make a few extra baht.

The motorcycle taxis that take me home never tell me I have given them too much.....its not a scam though, its an error on my part. 

29 minutes ago, transam said:

So you don't understand, stand down, which means "It's pointless"..........:ermm:

Ok, internal British change of meaning of the original English language again. But, I know. When other people say, I call you later, the Brits say, I give you a bell, because you still believe he invented the phone. 😂

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, internal British change of meaning of the original English language again. But, I know. When other people say, I call you later, the Brits say, I give you a bell, because you still believe he invented the phone. 😂

If you say so..........:coffee1: