Alleged Misconduct by Chiang Mai Monk Under Probe

image.jpeg

A monk, serving as an Abbot in a temple in Chiang Mai Province's San Sai District, has been accused of inappropriate conduct involving teenage boys.

The villagers claim surfaced after pictures of the Abbot hugging and kissing several youngsters emerged, some of which were taken too closely on a bed. Some boys appeared to be still in school uniforms. It is believed that pictures were taken inside the temple.

The complainants, villagers from Nong Chom Subdistrict, stated the monk had a 20-year affiliation with the temple, first as a deputy Abbot before taking over from his predecessor. The temple had five monks and novices and was frequently visited by local teenagers. Despite the monk's alleged flirty behavior, there had been no earlier dishonorable incidents.

image.jpeg

The incidents pictured could be seen in different ways. If it were children hugging or kissing the monk in exchange for small amounts of money, it might not be considered serious, as such actions occur in several temples. However, if the reality is beyond this, it would be unacceptable. An investigation into any complaints would likely clarify the situation.

The Abbot, in spite of his flirty demeanor, was also considered a developer, contributing to villagers' faith in the temple.

Following the allegations, Aree Phanchan, the director of the Chiang Mai Provincial Buddhism Office, pledged to collaborate with the Sangha monks to examine the issue.

Phanchan thanked the community and media for assisting in monitoring Buddhism. Any subsequent action depends on the Sangha Administrative Committee's examination and interpretation of monastic discipline.

Recent reports suggest that the monk has been unreachable since the allegations surfaced, with his phone turned off and personal belongings missing from the temple. The authorities are seeking further clarity, with the search for the monk still underway.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-02

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice."

That quote by Martin Luther KIng and Barack Obama seems to use it to. Suggests that things arent always as straightforward as they may appear.

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

After looking at the pictures, I can not even understand why they call it alleged. Seems quite clear cut to me. It´s just another pervert in the monkhood.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

if it was my child in the 'photo i would expect some swift  action from the authorities. Disgraceful don't forget some novice monks from poor families have no choice and deserve protection as do all children. 

• Agree 1

...Not Too Long Ago A High-Ranking Monk Was Accused Of Raping (?) A 6-Year Old...(?)

...Nothing Came Of That...(?)

...So If There Is No Line Drawn In The Sand...Anything Goes...(?)

On 5/2/2024 at 11:58 AM, webfact said:

If it were children hugging or kissing the monk in exchange for small amounts of money, it might not be considered serious, as such actions occur in several temples.

What ???

The picture of the monk with his right leg, entrapping the young boy is not an innocent pose of simply hugging.

He's trying to get his leg over!

Pedo!

• Like 1

Hmm... I wonder if Sir James Saville was left to carry out his disgusting perversions because he was "doing good" at Stoke Mandeville Hospital .

This report is eerily similar apart from Saville keeping his assaults under wraps.

Strip this Abbott of his robes and send him back to where ...oh hang on.

On 5/2/2024 at 1:04 AM, worgeordie said:

Whom ever wrote this , they must be kidding ,any dodgy contact with children

must be taken serious ,this need to be investigated now.

regard worgeordie  

I agree.. the six years I spent as a monk in Thailand, I found way too many of these monks fondling young boys.  Whenever I saw it happening, I got right in their face, sometimes almost coming to physical confrontation.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1