Thailand listed among top 10 countries with highest number of sex workers worldwide

I'm sure the sex for sale is the reason  most Tourists go to Thailand, if not to participate then to  try the bars, and watch what happens... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

And how many are doing it that nobody knows?? massage salons etc...... I think the number is much higher

I have just editted. There are 27,000 sex workers in Pattay, not 200,00 as I previously thought

Edited by petedk

Posted (edited)

Thailand has built up an entire industry around sex workers. It's the reason tourism is what it is today (otherwise tourist numbers wouldn't be anywhere near 30-40m per year). Is it good? Not really, not for the women that have no other choices or better opportunities. Few of them want to do it as a living, if at all (stop kidding yourselves). They'd do something else almost immediately, if they could make a living at it. They do it to survive. And that's an unfortunate predicament. But it is the world's oldest profession. And for a reason. Sex always sells. And the business leaders and government officials of Thailand are okay that THA has such a large per capita share of sex workers. In fact, they disrespect the sex workers when they pretend they don't have, want or need sex workers.

Edited by Cabradelmar

11 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Thailand has built up an entire industry around sex workers. It's the reason tourism is what it is today (otherwise tourist numbers wouldn't be anywhere near 30-40m per year). Is it good? Not really, not for the women that have no other choices or better opportunities. Few of them want to do it as a living, if at all (stop kidding yourselves). They'd do something else almost immediately, if they could make a living at it. They do it to survive. And that's an unfortunate predicament. But it is the world's oldest profession. And for a reason. Sex always sells. And the business leaders and government officials of Thailand are okay that THA has such a large per capita share of sex workers. In fact, they disrespect the sex workers when they pretend they don't have, want or need sex workers.

It's not survivalist prostitution & you certainly don't need to feel sorry for them.

These figures seem low.  The Thai scene dwarves the foreign scene.  When I lived in Bangkok, pretty much every Thai bar, live music restaurant, night club had loads of girls who were obviously looking for business.  Many of them have day jobs and go out a few times a week/month looking for company. Many of them seem to become someone's paid mistress, does that still count? Then there are all the massage shops with extras, KTV bars, side line girls on social media.  Pretty much every random Thai town I've stopped in for the night has massage shops or karaoke places. 

16 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Germany has 60% more sex workers than Thailand? Yea right. Sorry I can't take this report seriously.

I'd read more about it but unfortunately the OP didn't link to the actual report.

Since in Germany it's legal and managed, the figures are close to reality.

For most countries the figures are based on estimations and should be picked with a grain of salt.

I would say once again Thailand is plucking numbers out of a hat!  not that I engage with prostitutes but I would say Bangkok alone would have more than 250,000! 

28 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

This is simply not true. For Thais sex isn't a taboo and they grew up with an obsession for money. There are plenty of women who don't have any necessity but do it to buy extra goodies.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

sex work is the oldest profession in the world and yet still we have people posting here like it's something to be ashamed of. Sex work isn't a problem, its "enforced" sex work that needs addressing. I've never met a bar girl in Bangkok who was forced into doing it and was unable to leave if she wanted to. 

There will be some but very very few. 

I think the people in authority who are supposed to protect them but extort them instead need weeding out but that's not going to happen any time soon.

The authorities should also make it easier for non-University educated girls to get a normal job instead of asking for degrees just to work in a damn shop. 

Sex workers for me should be applauded for the job they do......it can't be easy putting up with smelly, drunken, guys 7 days/week. And lets not forget the money they earn and put back into the economy.

Legalising it would be a good thing IMO

Edited by Jackbenimble
spelling
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, sampson said:

Many of them have day jobs and go out a few times a week/month looking for company

You think it's about being lonely and wanting company? Stop it. It's about basic survival and making a living. It's always about the money. And if they could make as much money not selling their bodies they would. 

Edited by Cabradelmar

3 minutes ago, Alex80 said:

This is simply not true. For Thais sex isn't a taboo and they grew up with an obsession for money. There are plenty of women who don't have any necessity but do it to buy extra goodies.

I'm not saying it's not a great way to make money in an economy that offers few opportunities for under educated women. But the ones that do it night in and night out, would rather not. The real sex workers. Not the periodic free lancers. 

18 hours ago, Purdey said:

Not sure how they came to the total of 250,000. I wonder if they asked people, "Are you a prostitute?"

That's my favourite chat up line. Followed by " Does this cloth smell of chloroform to you?”....

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

I've never met a bar girl in Bangkok who was forced into doing it and was unable to leave if she wanted to. 

It's not a chain (in most cases), it's a funnel. Sure they can leave and work folding laundry for 300 baht a day. But they see how much money can be made doing something else (selling their bodies) and they enter into the sex worker employment funnel that feeds the economy. A funnel set up by the powers that be, by those that make even more money from the girl's service. But on large, you give women real opportunities and viable economic choices, and far far fewer are going to choose prostitution as a career.

Edited by Cabradelmar
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Silencer said:

Pretty easy to find the report (Google the report Titile), has other interesting data. For example, says Russia has about 3M workers but not listed here.  Says about 4M are trafficked, Asia being the primary source. Also, webcam models, Onlyfans, and other internet sites are included in the statistics. A breakdown between the % of hands-on(flesh) vs technology workers might be interesting as well. 

No, that's not interesting. If so, you have to add all those who send dick pics too.🥴

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Yagoda said:

Who is that?

A former poster on TV/ASEAN who got himself banned.

The coincidence of his and your writing style on a couple of occasions jogged my memory. As does the fact N Yezhov succeeded Yagoda as head of Stalin's NKVD in the 1930's.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

Legalising it would be a good thing IMO

I don't disagree. However, that would probably reduce the profits of the status quo.

For example, the biggest karaoke/brothel in Chiang Mai is owned by a high police official.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Standing at the top is China, with 5 million workers, followed by India (3 million), the US (1 million), the Philippines (800,000), Mexico (500,000), Germany (400,000), Brazil (250,000), Thailand (250,000), Bangladesh (200,000), and South Korea (147,000).

Only meaningful if the numbers are based on a standard criteria like population size.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:
19 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thai's very smart

depressing really

It's depressing to see these young girls having to work in sex industry to earn money to buy milk and nappies for their babies.

Most sex workers in Thailand have no choice, they have had a child, then the father walks away.

How else can they pay the bills? 

In Australia the government will pay the mothers social security benefits and garnish wages from the fathers. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Hummin said:

I have seen estimates of 3000 bars left after covid, normal beer bars to more red light bars. How many agogo? 

How many prostitutes would that give you, 

15 000? 

More than I could afford. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's depressing to see these young girls having to work in sex industry to earn money to buy milk and nappies for their babies.

Most sex workers in Thailand have no choice, they have had a child, then the father walks away.

How else can they pay the bills? 

In Australia the government will pay the mothers social security benefits and garnish wages from the fat hers. 

Indeed. A lack of responsibility for actions is a common theme here. 

It should be noted that Thailand has the largest wealth disparity of any country in the World. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

You think it's about being lonely and wanting company? Stop it. It's about basic survival and making a living. It's always about the money. And if they could make as much money not selling their bodies they would. 

Looking for company was a polite way of looking for a punter. Not about being lonely 🤣

But the point is they don't have to sell their bodies, and what they do with the money usually doesn't have much to do with basic survival. 

Opinions and <deleted> and all that 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Only meaningful if the numbers are based on a standard criteria like population size.

Agreed!... If they were to this analysis base on prostitutes per capita Thailand would most likely be at the top!... 😋