Stray Dogs in Lampang Struggling With Intense Heat

257657926fd43a316.15730428.jpeg

In Lampang, temperatures have crossed an intolerable 40 degrees Celsius. This is causing distress to the 400 stray dogs taking refuge at Wat Weluwanaram. The temple’s abbot, Vichai Akkadecho, has stepped in to alleviate their suffering, given that the heatwave has lasted close to a month.

Based in Mae Tha District, Lampang province, on 389 Moo 8, Lampang-Denchai Road, the temple has assigned workers to tend to the dogs. The shelter is regularly cleaned, and measures have been taken to increase humidity, like daily water spraying on dog beds and surroundings. This helps, to a degree, reduce the unbearable daytime heat.

The temple has also installed fans inside the shelters to keep the air moving and dilute the stifling heat. Added to this, there are water pools and large bowls where dogs can play and get respite from the heat. The dogs who are more docile and are allowed to move around freely, often dig into the ground or take rest under the shade of trees near watering points to keep cool.

Although the temple has managed to extract groundwater for easing the heat, there are persistent issues. The water pump often stops functioning during daytime owing to low voltage. The solution is to store nighttime pumped water for the dogs to use during the day.

While most dogs under the temple’s care are in fair health, there are indications of some suffering due to the heat, like nosebleeds. The temple, however, is equipped to immediately deal with such symptoms to avoid any fatalities.

Sadly, some stray dogs, out of 40 to 50 brought each month by their owners, don't survive, possibly due to the fierce heatwave.

A charitable fund is set up to assist the stray dogs and cats sheltering at the temple. A donation as small as 19 baht can contribute towards their food and other essentials. People can make donations to this account at Kasikorn Bank, with account number 163-1-25882-0. It's important to verify the account name to avoid fraud.

Even under extreme weather, Wat Weluwanaram Temple is dedicated to ensuring the welfare of these animals. Support from the community in the form of donations greatly helps improve the lives of these strays, offering much needed assistance and comfort.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-02

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Never mind feeding the dogs. Neuter the bloody things.

Feel free to offer to pay to have that done.

I am sure that the abbot will appreciate it.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In Lampang, temperatures have crossed an intolerable 40 degrees Celsius. This is causing distress to the 400 stray dogs taking refuge at Wat Weluwanaram.

Why is this posted i Isaan News?  As far as I know, Lampang is not a part of Isaan.

• Like 1

Yes my dogs are suffering too. (not allowed inside and they know it) unfortunately everyone here is suffering too!

• Agree 1

You have to climb over a heap of snoozing dogs to enter my local 7-11.  They like the AC blast each time the doors open.

"Hello, welcome and don't trip over the dogs"

18 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Never mind feeding the dogs. Neuter the bloody things.

You should go there sometime see what they do ,you will be amazed how it is  

you can talk to the abbot monk   he is a great guy 

maybe make a donation or take 5 big bags of food 

i have been there and see the fantastic work they do and all the workers dedicated to sick animals ,

Never mind the Soi dogs .We all know what's Needed to be done .

Exterminate them no more suffering no more attacking people .

What's the use ,

Piss weak Laws and Government won't do anything to clean up the problem.

• Agree 2