Britain Pledges £3 Billion Annual Military Support to Ukraine Indefinitely

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are the tories trying to lose the next election?

Britain's apparently broke, but they can find that sort of money every year. Something smells of lies.

I’m so glad my daughters and their friends have been travelling around Asia for the past year, not needing to pay back their student loans. The British government obviously don’t need the money.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Believe it or not but Macron actually now wants to send troops to Ukraine...there was already an "incident" not long ago where French mercenaries where killed by a Russian attack...resulting in an extraordinary announcement by the same Macron that France was not at war with Russia.

I can only think that by sending in troops they hope the rest of NATO will follow...then the "real" fireworks begin.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, johng said:

Believe it or not but Macron actually now wants to send troops to Ukraine...there was already an "incident" not long ago where French mercenaries where killed by a Russian attack...resulting in an extraordinary announcement by the same Macron that France was not at war with Russia.

I can only think that by sending in troops they hope the rest of NATO will follow...then the "real" fireworks begin.

However, he cautioned against an idea from French President Emmanuel Macron to consider sending NATO troops to Ukraine to join the fight if Russia's Vladimir Putin achieves a breakthrough, saying that such a move would be a "dangerous escalation".

"I don't think it is right to have NATO soldiers killing Russian soldiers," the foreign secretary said in an interview in the western city of Lviv on Friday, having met President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and other top ministers in Kyiv on Thursday.

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-plans-to-ramp-up-weapons-production-for-ukraine-and-western-defence-as-lord-cameron-reveals-envoy-will-oversee-national-priority-13128072

Not sure if sky news is a credible source. If not, kindly remove.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Maybe Rishi thinks that by sucking up to the US, they will interfere in the coming elections and help him get elected, for the first time.

Gawd....................:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Total bilateral aid commitments to Ukraine as a percentage of donor country gross domestic product (GDP) between January 24, 2022 and January 15, 2024, by country

Estonia3.55%, Denmark2.41%, Norway1.72%, Lithuania1.54%, Latvia1.15%, Finland0.71%, Poland0.69%, Netherlands0.67%, Slovakia0.65%, Germany0.57%, United Kingdom0.55%, Czechia0.52%, Sweden0.51%, Croatia0.44%, Belgium0.41%, Switzerland0.33%, Bulgaria0.32%, Canada0.32%, United States0.32%, Austria0.18%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1303450/bilateral-aid-to-ukraine-in-a-percent-of-donor-gdp/

56 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Billions available to house illegal migrants and arm Ukraine to the teeth, but no money to fix all the potholes blighting the UK.

You're more of a Chamberlain-guy than a Churchill-guy, I guess..

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

And how do you know Russia will stop at that?

After regrouping and resupplying itself, what's to stop them from taking the rest of Ukraine?

Then they will be right at Moldovas border, where they already keep soldiers against Moldovas will. What's to keep them from taking Moldova next?

Then, emboldened by the West's weakness and defeatism, what's to stop them from taking more territory? Georgia?

Then perhaps the Baltic states or Romania? Poland...?

I don't know if Russia will stop.

There is no satisfying realistic solution to this bad situation.

I don't follow all the details, but it seems the front lines are more or less stable or Russia won a little over the last year or so.

So, what are the options?

Give more money to Ukraine and let more of their soldiers die to keep the existing lines?

Even more money and more dead to win back some territory?

Even more money and troupes from other countries to win back Crimea? 

It seems sometimes we have to accept that there is no good solution. And continuing with one of the bad "solutions" has only the "look, we do something" effect.

End the war. Try to make the best out of a bad situation. It's not easy, nobody will like it, but what's the alternative?

The west can still stockpile more weapons and have more weapons to protect the borders of the existing NATO countries. That might help for the future to make sure the situation is not getting worse.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

That "unwavering support" is to supply junk at inflated prices. Who wouldn't come up with better idea?

Somehow UA will pay back, that "unwavering support" has a monetary value and for "unwavering supporters of freedom and democracy" is a win-win situation. 

FYI Javelin wonder-stick used to be less than $80K, now more than $450K. Cute? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Excogitator said:

You're more of a Chamberlain-guy than a Churchill-guy, I guess..

The Tories are only interested in looking after themselves, their cronies, illegal immigrants and Ukraine. 

The electorate isn't interested in anything other than sorting out issues relating to the UK and this is why the Tories will be annihilated at the next General Election. The NHS, law and order, immigration, taxation, unemployment, infrastructure, services all need addressing before throwing money at arming Ukraine.  

If you're such a Churchillian macho man, why don't you go fight Putin on the frontline? Notwithstanding, there's nothing to fear from Putin. Being colonised by Muslims is a far bigger danger to the UK and the electorate know it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Excogitator said:

Wow..

I think I will limit myself to say that we have to agree to disagree on that one.

Don't forget to regularly oil your AK-47, particularly during the harsh Ukrainian winter. 😉

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, transam said:

At least I am not confused regarding the thread, unlike yourself.........😉

No pun or insult intended;

I agree that neither you, I, nor many other properly thinking people would agree that we  maybe  confused by the "thread" of this (forum) conversation nor by the "threat" from that Russian Dictator!

Edited by scottiejohn